Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who are the Transit Police? I have been seeing these guys in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they are MBTA because their cars are white with blue sides and it says TRANSIT POLICE in white on the side.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Massachusetts Bay TRANSIT Authority. Oh lookie-lookie!
the MBTA police changed the graphics on their cars.....................
:sl: :sl: :doze:

G

·
Look in the cruiser gallery, the pics of old and new MBTA Police cruisers have been there for approx 6 months. MBTA Police has approx 250 officer and its own academy which trains approx 50 officers for the MBTA and other departments every 6 months. MBTA or Transit Police have concurrent jurisdiction (same powers as local police) with 178 cities and towns in MA that is why you will see them in several towns.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Identi-'T' crisis: Cops: We don't need new stinkin' badges
By Laurel J. Sweet and Brain Caruso
Thursday, February 24, 2005

Cherilyn Sarkisian was correct that less is more when she renamed herself Cher. Even Kentucky Fried Chicken, hungry for a leg up in the fast-food pecking order, plucked itself down to KFC.

But can the MBTA Police Department benefit from a hip new name? Chief Joseph Carter believes so, but some rank and file - now called the Transit Police - think short and sweet stinks.

The name change ``was a no-brainer,'' explained Carter, who hopes to have every cruiser, badge and decal uniformly rebranded before June.

``This is to recognize the special skills that our officers possess. It's a natural.''

T spokesman Joe Pesaturo said the name change is expected to cost $29,000 when complete and will be paid for with forfeiture funds - monies seized in drug arrests, etc.

The Transit Police are already deploying their way into the public subconscious with cruisers that have begun turning heads on streets. But the piecemeal makeover is creating an identity crisis for officers, who grouse their look is a train wreck of old and new.

``You have officers standing side by side and one says MBTA Police and one says Transit Police,'' a source said. ``We do want a change. We wanted our image to change.''

The MBTA Police Department has been a recognized name since its creation in 1968. In 175 communities, its officers have the same powers of arrest as local law enforcers on or off T property. But Scott White, president of the Easton-based naming consulting firm brandidentityguru.com, said Transit Police is too ``generic'' to command respect.

``It's like switching from `Zerox' to `copy paper,' '' White said. ``It describes what they do, if that's what they're going for, but there's a lot in a name.''

White said if a Transit cop tried to pull him over, ``At that point I'm calling the real police on my cell phone.''

Steven Baddour, Senate chairman of the Joint Committee on Transportation, doesn't foresee a backlash of commuter confusion.

``They'll always be part of the MBTA,'' Baddour said. ``It's like state police are still part of Massachusetts.''

But Robert Powers, president of the MBTA Police Patrolmen's Association, argued the new name is nothing more than ``a facade. The personnel make it a better department. Leadership makes it a better department. Kentucky Fried Chicken is now KFC, but you know what? It's still chicken.''

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe the MBTA police department has been around since 1968 and has the thirs largest jurisdiction in the state (1. state police (obviously) 2. environmental police and then 3. MBTA) As some one mention already, jurisdiction in 178 towns and cities.

·
Subscribing Member
1,615 Posts
Foxracingmtnridr";p="57677 said:
POPCOP";p="57663 said:
I like the old cruiser design better :(
How much ya wanna bet Maximum Security changes the look of their "cruisers" to look like the new T cars?

Scott :rock:
Better yet, the new MBTA Chief wants a piece of the LEC pie, and forms his own unit which will now be known as: "TRANSLEC", but somehow his grant writer submitted a request for funds under the name: TRANSSEX, and in return for his efforts he receives an anti-discrimination/harassment suit filed against them, from all of the people he offended in the Federal Government who have an overwhelming desire to become a member of the opposite sex. :shock: :shock: :shock:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.