Transit Police | Page 2 | MassCops

Transit Police

Discussion in 'Agency Specific Discussions' started by TripleSeven, Dec 11, 2016.

1. civservice2017

civservice2017 New Member

Does MBTA disqualify for having a disability rating too high? Say 50%

2. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

This has been challenged and won by at least one officer but I don't remember the PD, it might have been MBTA or Worcester if I remember. I remember the basic ruling was that if a PD routinely accepts MPTC certified officers, they cannot suddenly require specific training for specific candidates. I remember the case was from a currently employed full-time municipal officer that got hired off the regular CS test for another PD who them told him that he needed to attend another recruit academy in order to get hired.

Years ago I used to hear about the old Boston Municipal Police officers who sometimes attended the BPD academy with regular BPD recruits. I'd hear about muni officers getting hired by BPD while they were in the current BPD academy as a muni. BPD would make them attend the next academy as a BPD recruit. They would graduate and start the same academy a couple of weeks later.

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

BPD still does this.

4. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

I would have just taken the full time academy and went somewhere else when they were disbanded. Thats insane . . .

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    pahapoika likes this.
  5. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Not everyone but 99%. If you have a big enough dime......

pahapoika likes this.
  6. mrdavch

mrdavch MassCops Member

Heard over in the CS thread they sent out vacancy notices for the new list. Anyone know how many they are trying to hire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

A former co-worker of mine was called by Medford. Keep in mind this was in the mid 90s, things may have changed. He went to Medford and was told, that regardless of having graduated from a full academy only a few years prior, he HAD to attend their academy. He declined, stayed with us a few year and then beat feet to LAPD.

He ended up miserable there, but since my chief wouldn't take him back, he stuck it out. I feel he was MUCH better off.

8. felony

felony MassCops Member

In 2013 Transit took laterals. On the job posting, it stated the following:
    Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
    Associates degree (or higher);

Two years full-time policing; and

Graduate of the MBTA Transit Police Academy;

j809 likes this.
  9. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

They don't require you attend their academy for a lateral. Two of my coworkers from my muni did it. They have an in house program set up for laterals.

10. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

Just wondering because the majority of misinformation on this site comes from "my buddy told me". Especially considering his response of "pound sand", he might have been trying to save face after a rejection, because I know MBTA accepts laterals.

11. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

It honestly wouldn't suprise me if he was told this, its not true, but Transit plays a lot of games with their CS list.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  12. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Hi Kilv,

Do you remember his name? I'm wondering if he's still with us. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put it on here.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Roger, he did tell MBTA to pound sand, he was offered many jobs while he was layed off but decided to stay on unemployment because the town told him they'd get the money in a couple of months. That's what they told him in 2002.

Also an officer that worked for a non civil service town that just graduated the Reading Academy about 8 years ago worked for a non civil service PD and Lynn PD called him and made him go through the full time academy again, Reading Academy again, because that was their rule and how they determine seniority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 likes this.