Transit Police | MassCops

Transit Police

Discussion in 'Agency Specific Discussions' started by TripleSeven, Dec 11, 2016.

1. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Subscribing Member

If there is anyone here from the Transit Police willing to answer some questions, please PM me. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

Anyone aware of any non-vets getting a card for the mbta?

3. jgraham11

jgraham11 Guest

Never heard of a non-vet getting in with MBTA. If I remember correctly didn't you say you scored like a 97 on the CS exam in the CS thread? I'm not sure where you live but municipal should be no sweat with a score like that especially with some of the scores being reported so far. There's people I see on twitter celebrating just "passing" haha

Hell with a 97 I wouldn't even rule out MSP

Rogergoodwin likes this.
  4. Rogergoodwin

Well I'm not that smart because I didn't pick the msp. I only chose mbta and municipal. Idk know what I was thinking when I did that. Maybe I'll send them a $50 bill and see if they can add me to the list.

5. jgraham11

jgraham11 Guest

Well from my experience most, if not all, MBTA guys are vets. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I've come to understand. I'd say your best chance is municipal. Hopefully you live in a city/town that you like! haha

6. unexpo

unexpo MassCops Member

Where on Twitter are you seeing score conversations? Just wondering

7. jgraham11

jgraham11 Guest

Just a twitter search of "Civil Service 2017" occasionally you'll see some MA people saying they passed the CS exam. It's mostly all Thailand CS exam tweets though for some reason haha

I didn't see anybody talking about scores though really. Just one kid who said he got a 95

8. unexpo

unexpo MassCops Member

Ahhhh, ok gotcha

9. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Transit seems like it could be a very interesting job but it seems like they don't have the greatest reputation for holding on to people. Anyone know if this is starting to change?

10. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Just remember that if you decide to leave the T for a municipal or state police job none of your time transfers over.

11. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Say a Deputy gets picked up by the T, can he bring any time with him?

12. Rogergoodwin

Although anyone posting on twitter about their score
    No. Nothing at all.

13. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Jesus, that's sad. I'd love to be a T cop but that's a tall order to ask someone to toss away several years of time and benifits.

Is the retirement worth it at least in the long run?

14. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

One great thing about the railroad retirement is that your spouse gets a pension too n top of yours. So if you retire with 75 percent, your spouse also gets a 37.5 percent. This is what some guys for T told me on a detail, which sounds pretty good. I also heard that MSP now, you have to do 20 or 25 years before any outside time gets added to that. There used to be a time where you did 10 years and only had to do 15 more for example.

15. Rogergoodwin

You can retire from the msp based on prorated time or you can retire as if you were group 4. So if you do 10 years as a sheriff and 5 with the msp, at 55 (or 57 depending on start date) you can retire as if you were group 4 the whole time. But there's no minimum you need to do with the msp to add your other time in.
    What I'm not sure about is they used to have the 25year/75%. Not sure if they still have it.

16. Rogergoodwin

I think the railroad retirement is different from the mbta retirement. I don't think spouses get hooked up under the mbta.

j809 likes this.
  17. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Yes railroad and mbta are 2 totally different retirements.

QUOTE="Rogergoodwin, post: 1013321, member: 32319"]I think the railroad retirement is different from the mbta retirement. I don't think spouses get hooked up under the mbta.[/QUOTE]

18. Rogergoodwin

It would be interesting to know what percentage of their base pay that t cops pay into their retirement. I was under the impression their contribution rate was much lower than state. Any idea?

19. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Spouses DO get a pension.........
    T + Social Security will edge out any State/municipal group 3 or 4, bet on it.

20. Rogergoodwin

Spouses get one under the railroad pension, not the mbta. Plus, imagine investing the 6.25% of your entire pay in a tax deferred retirement plan, instead of SS. You'd make out much better under unit 4. Especially after SS goes under anyways.
    Group 3 isn't even up for debate. Msp pay is so high and group 3 is so generous, they blow t salaries out of the water, which translate into bigger pensions.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  21. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

This might be a stupid question, feel free to open fire if it is...

Say someone gets called for the T who already has a full MPTC academy (self sponser, or already working else where etc..) Would the T make him/her go to Quincy?

22. Dustoff137

Dustoff137 MassCops Member

Are you talking in regards to being forced to attend the Transit Police Academy? No, from what I understand it's the same certification upon graduation just like any other MPTC backed police academy. Remember there are Municipal Police Officers that graduate from that academy every cycle as well!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  23. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Yes. My academy classmate got layed off when he graduated from Abington and he got many cards because he got on the layoff list. He went through the MbTA process and they told him he would have to go to their academy again. He laughed at them and told them to pound sand as he graduated three weeks before from Weymouth. The town got the money and he was back at work a few months later.

pahapoika likes this.
  24. Rogergoodwin

No. I believe it's only Boston and msp that require their own specific academy.
    You sure about that?

25. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

I'd say"Yes. My academy classmate" might be a reliable source?

j809 likes this.