1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transit chief vows reforms will make cops more visible

by Doug Hanchett
Thursday, June 5, 2003
Four months after being sworn in, MBTA police Chief Joe Carter will unveil a sweeping new blueprint for his embattled department aimed at streamlining operations and smoothing relations with riders and community leaders.

With the department still wrestling its reputation for mistreating young riders, Carter said the time has come for a top-to-bottom overhaul.

``There's definitely some wide-ranging reform (planned). A transformation, if you will,'' said Carter, who will present the plan to the T's board of directors today.

While keeping details of the plan under wraps, Carter said he will reorganize the department and establish different geographic coverage areas with ``decentralized'' authority.

``Transit/community policing is going to be the operative term, and everything we do will sort of embrace that brand,'' he said. ``We're going to be transit police and I think our users on the systems - particularly in the areas we've branded as problem locations - will see far more visibility than in the past.''

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Looks like a MAJOR step in the right direction. I'm not going to criticize the T-Boys as individuals, but there is and has been a visibility problem.

Transit Police should spend a little of their time on the Trains and platforms don't ya think?

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Last time I did the traffic hearings in Court, an MBTA POLICE OFFICER pulled over MVs on RTE.24 for speeding. I don't see why MBTA cops patrol the highways instead of the tracks and the station parking lots. My two cents. :wm:

Both cases were dismissed because no one from the MBTA PD showed up.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Oh ya there is a visibility problem in the MBTA. I work right next to a T train station where we respond more to then the T-Police does. The fair booth workers know us better then their own police.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Here's another question. Can an MBTA police officer pull you over for a CMVI on a state highway such as 24/495/95 etc. ?
:roll:

G

·
I used to take the Red Line train into work daily in the late 80's early 90's and there was no T Police presence visible. Only at Washington & Park St Stations did you see a T Cop.
I occasionally take the Commuter rail into South Station or take the Red Line from Ashmont or Quincy or Orange Line from Forest Hills and they are thick as flies. Everywhere you look, they were rousting someone foran infraction. (smoking even!) It was quite evident that they were doing a good job by keeping the little cretins in line after school got out. I wasn't scared but you could see fear in peoples eyes when 40+ hellions stepped on board. Ever since O'Loughlin took over and put them on the trains, it's been excellent.
Then they got some coalition together and disbanded their anti-crime unit so the crime went through the roof again. I am glad I don't have to take it in every day. It would make me want to buy a car and face parking fines every day instead of riding the T.
BHCCPD, shouldn't you stick to your own campus instead of sparking T police calls?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
HousingCop said:
BHCCPD, shouldn't you stick to your own campus instead of sparking T police calls?
Hey ShithouseCop, maybe you should shine his shoes with your diaper, you fudge-packer. At least he works for a living. It's a shame all you EVER do is knock other people. What is worse is my prediliction for wanting to point it out, like you'll ever be objective enough to lay off once in a while. ](*,)

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Housingcop for your information we respond to the community train station because it abuts our propery so I HAVE JURISDICTION and second of all the MBTA calls us to help which is called MUTUAL AID. Oh ya you dont have mutual aid with Boston PD because they cant stand your departments attitude on calls!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.