Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone had some advice for me... or can even answer some of my questions...

I'm a female police officer working in a decent size city in Connecticut. I've only been on the job for about 2.5 years but I love it...the only problem is, I don't love Connecticut. I'm ready to come back home to MA where all my family and friends are.

Does anyone know if I would have to go to the academy again...or would I just have to take a few courses and then the Field Training Program?

I'm also interested in working for a department that has a large or at least decent sized call volume. I'm used to having to jump from call to call every night and I think I would be bored in a small town. Anyone have any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I'm used to having to jump from call to call every night
While obviously there are some, the majority of departments here don't fit this category. Pick a bigger municipality and move there.

G

·
I was hoping someone had some advice for me... or can even answer some of my questions...

I'm a female police officer working in a decent size city in Connecticut. I've only been on the job for about 2.5 years but I love it...the only problem is, I don't love Connecticut. I'm ready to come back home to MA where all my family and friends are.

Does anyone know if I would have to go to the academy again...or would I just have to take a few courses and then the Field Training Program?

I'm also interested in working for a department that has a large or at least decent sized call volume. I'm used to having to jump from call to call every night and I think I would be bored in a small town. Anyone have any suggestions??
can someone cross check this against KTTREF!!??? :---) lol

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
23 years old and 2.5 years on the job...i'd consider myself lucky as hell if I were in your shoes. That would be like hitting the jackpot here in Mass.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've been in class the past few weeks with a bunch of guys from the Suffolk County (NY)Police Dept. I almost crapped myself when I was told that top patrolmans pay was approximatly 100k. Except for a few of the bigger jobs here in Mass this state is a dead end when it comes to money. This is the last place I would look to transfer.

·
Subscribing Member
214 Posts
Not so fast Nighttrain, our pay down here sucks. When I first started we started out at $31,000 now they start out at $40,000. I've not seen a pay raise in years, but they keep raising my health insurance and taxes. Someone that has a couple of years on up there makes close to what I make (I got 10 years on down here).

Mass has the Quinn Bill, which is a nice chuck of extra change in the pocket. We do not have anything like that down here. Most departments up there work a 4 and 2 schedule, down here we are slaves to the Department. I passed along our schedule in another post (it's the same one they worked in the 70's). The quick down and dirty is our schedule SUCKS!

There are many factors as to why pay is different around the States, mostly it has to do with cost of living and of course budgets. I think you guys up in Mass have a good gig and that is why so many people want to return home after leaving for some time.

Just my point of view and passing along info to compare to. Stay safe!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes...I'll be 24 next month, and I started the academy just after my 21st birthday. I finished college early, and I'm nearly finished with my masters degree. I'm very fortunate and fully aware I hit the jackpot, but I've beein in CT for 6 years now...and I still can't call it home. There's nothing like Mass....it's time to come home.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Not so fast Nighttrain, our pay down here sucks. When I first started we started out at $31,000 now they start out at $40,000. I've not seen a pay raise in years, but they keep raising my health insurance and taxes. Someone that has a couple of years on up there makes close to what I make (I got 10 years on down here).

Mass has the Quinn Bill, which is a nice chuck of extra change in the pocket. We do not have anything like that down here. Most departments up there work a 4 and 2 schedule, down here we are slaves to the Department. I passed along our schedule in another post (it's the same one they worked in the 70's). The quick down and dirty is our schedule SUCKS!

There are many factors as to why pay is different around the States, mostly it has to do with cost of living and of course budgets. I think you guys up in Mass have a good gig and that is why so many people want to return home after leaving for some time.

Just my point of view and passing along info to compare to. Stay safe!
MDSP...

My friend is Montgomery County PD, and he's doing pretty decent money wise, works 4 10's with 3 days off, with days off rotating every 2 or 3 months. Plenty of part time work too. Take home car, etc. Why not transfer...theyre looking.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
A good example was the last civil circus test. The huge convention center hosting a few thousand test takers. It was a sea of people all taking the test in hopes of getting a job. The grim part, maybe 1% will get hired. Welcome to mass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You might wanna try non-civil service departments like Amherst, or places out east. The only thing is that you will make less money !

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Stay in CT. Plain and simple.

There is a reason I am still here with my husband. He wants nothing more then to move back to MA and get on the job there...but after going through everything down here (both of us) we have decided to stay in CT. It's your best bet.

Did you go to POST? Or one of the satellites?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts