Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a separate topic so that it wouldn't get bogged down in the Brimfield particulars.

Here's the question issue I like to get comments on.

What it appears the MPTC is saying is that if an officer from out of state moves to MA and the MPTC finds that the officer's out of MA training is equivalent to MA, the MPTC will issue an exemption and the officer can work in a fulltime position ( assuming current CPR, F/R Criminal Law Exam and Firearms Qual.)

Yet for some reason that same officer is not qualified to work part-time. Last time I checked the training standards for part-time/reserve officers in MA was significantly less than the requirements for full-time.

Can anyone give a rational reason for this other than "That's MA for YA!".

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
That's MA for YA!"

Seriously though, it doesn't make any sense. All a particular city or town would have to say is that the officer will be a full time employee and they get the waiver?.

The training standards for part-time/reserve officers in MA are significantly less than the requirements for full-time LEO's.

part-time/reserve = 120 HRS.
full time = 960 HRS

Does Pinkham realize how stupid this sounds? I don't think it is a money issue either because it cost more for the FT than PT academy. Anybody have some inside information on why MPTC would have such a ridiculous clause?

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curiousity got the best of me so I called MPTC and asked about this. They think it is just as foolish but...... MGL only gives MPTC the authority to grant waivers to fulltime officers.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
So shouldn't the Brimfield Selectmen just appointand swear-in their new chief as a Reserve or P.I. so he can work while attending a Res/Int Academy?
:?
Oh Damn it!!!! I shouldn't have said Brimfield, so as not to get mired down!
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would seem to be the answer would be to make the position fulltime(all be it at very low pay).

[-X you said Brimfield now this topic is all bogged down :A:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts