Which style do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a presentation on community policing and wanted to see what others preferred.....It isn't the best poll, but I want to see how some law enforcement individuals feel on the issue. I myself think that community policing is a step in the right direction but have heard others state that they don't feel change is needed.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Community Policing requires bodies! Although I am all for CP it is unrealistic to attempt CP with the limited resources available in many departments in the Commonwealth. This is the reason we are forced to be more reactive than proactive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to agree with MT1 and Gil. We don't have the man power or the finances to run and maintain CP. I think CP is mere window-dressing for the elected officials to rave about and the community members to feel good about. MT1 had world peace, community policing, and balanced ethinic diversity, as ideas that are great in thought, but almost unattainable in reality. I think I would even throw the DARE program into that mix. Great in thought, but a failure in reality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Community Policing does work as an effective tool but i dont think its as an enforcement or crime reduction strategy indeed only after certain conditions are attained within that community does comm. pol. become a viable tool. I believe an integrated aggressive enforcement oriented policy must be adopted in areas that are overrun with crime. NYC reduction in crime is/was not acheived through the cop on the beat shaking hands with the shopkeepers. It was acheived through aggressive narcotics enfrcement, street crime enforcement, quality of life violation enforcement and their ilk. Once the shitbirds on the corner knew that the cops werent walking around with blinders they kept their shit inside or during non-traditional business hours. Which gave way to cops on the beat in a uniform talking at the community board meetings, shaking hands, 'politickin' as they say. Thats when the community felt that there existed a systematic change in the approach to the neighborhood by the Po-Po.
They may not like it when they drive by a corner at midnight and see 6 thugs on the wall but thats where the C-Pop (Comm. Policing cop) guy comes in and throws crime reduction numbers at them and shows the causal effect of that type of scene.
No PhD here.... Poke holes in it at will

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
Community Policing does nothing more than give the politicians their own private little police force.
go here, go there, fetch my coffee and slippers.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
In todays LE, I believe the 2 are mixed. Basically agressive enforcement while making a few "friends" on the way. We try to be proactive, but somedays are just too busy and you can only be reactive. I try to be proactive in everyway...

**I see a car bang a left without a directional - boom, traffic stop. passenger gets picked-up on warrants and 94c.
**I see a car roll through a stop sign - boom, traffic stop. OUI, oper. after revocation, neg operation.
**I see a car without its plate light out - boom, traffic stop. Oper. after suspension & 94c
**I see a car with a tail light out - boom, traffic stop. OUI, oper after susp., 94c.
**I see a car make a quick turn after I pull out behind it. I follow it down the street and it takes a turn into an apartment complex. I go down another street, turn around and when I come back down the same car pulls out of the apartment complex and pulls down the street I just came out of. So I go back, no the vehicle has lights out. Suspicious activity. Boom, I talk to the 2 occupants. Both have conflicting stories. I see a Crack pipe in plain view - busted.
**I see a car lights out in a town parking lot with few occupants. I approach the folks to "see whats up?", nice gush of pot smoke comes out. 94c arrest.
**I see a car operator by a known Junior Operator pull up to the liquor store. Friend gets out goes into the store, comes out with a couple of cases and puts them in the back. Car pulls by I see the Kid (underage) driving. Boom, traffic stop. Minor transporting. A summons, and a seizure of the alcohol in question. A chickenshit charge? Yep, but makes an impact. Even if minimal, every bit helps.

I've never had to run personal political favors/errands for a selectman, so I guess I have it good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.