Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure the Glock vs. Sig topic has been brought up here, but I have been thinking about trading my Sig P239 .40 for a Glock 22 or 23. The 239 is a great concealed carry gun due to its size, but it quite challenging at the range beyond 20'. Theres a good chance I will be starting the police academy in January for either Burlington, VT or Nashua, NH. Both use Glocks and I was thinking it might be smart to trade up my sig for a Glock and get some practice. I have never shot a Glock before... i did almost buy a 23 instead of the Sig, but the Sig felt better in my hand, possibly b/c of the hogue rubber grips. I also like Sig P229's but another thing glocks have going for them is that they are so light. Any suggestions?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
If you can shoot the Sig you can shoot the Glock. The fundemental marksmanship issues won't disappear.
You are facing some issues in MA with both guns, 1 Sig just came out with it's "preowned" program and they are selling factory refurbed used Sig's for dirt cheap. 2. Glocks are more plentiful out of MA then they are in MA. You'll have your pick of glocks outside of MA and won't be limited to a LEO Glock in MA.
If it were me I would keep the Sig and buy a used glock in NH or wherever for $300...

I'm sure the Glock vs. Sig topic has been brought up here, but I have been thinking about trading my Sig P239 .40 for a Glock 22 or 23. The 239 is a great concealed carry gun due to its size, but it quite challenging at the range beyond 20'. Theres a good chance I will be starting the police academy in January for either Burlington, VT or Nashua, NH. Both use Glocks and I was thinking it might be smart to trade up my sig for a Glock and get some practice. I have never shot a Glock before... i did almost buy a 23 instead of the Sig, but the Sig felt better in my hand, possibly b/c of the hogue rubber grips. I also like Sig P229's but another thing glocks have going for them is that they are so light. Any suggestions?

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh really? I wasn't sure if it was legal to buy out of state and bring it back. I'll check with 4 Seasons in Woburn and see what the process is. There getting $430 for a refurb G22.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
I'm confused, you are a police officer purchasing a gun for duty use right?
You can buy anything you want from just about any where you want. As well a NEW G22 with two magazines (high or low cap) is only $435 (you do not pay the federal excise tax and the gun must be shipped to your department), but once there it's yours.
You can also get a non department gun, with the low caps, it must be purchased (not for resale) and you get a letter from your department...and it's yours to keep as well. (the price is about the same, just different magazines)

If you are moving to Vermont or NH, I would just wait until then (my original suggestion) as once you establish your residence in NH or VT, you can buy the gun there...and there are SO many more used glocks (all generations) outside of MA...they are cheaper and worth the wait. You aren't going to be "that bad" off waiting on the glock.

Check my website for more information about how individual officers can purchase guns at below wholesale. Where you buy it from doesn't matter to me at all, I just don't want you guys to get ripped off.

Even if your department doesn't issue firearms, as long as the firearm will qualify for duty use and you can get a signature, you can use the IOP program.

http://www.cqbarms.com/les.html

Also feel free to edit them and use them with your local gun store...most are in word, the FET is a PDF and a standard Federal forma

I think a lot of cops are going out and buying retail, getting the "cop" discount of a few percentage points and then getting piped because they are paying FET and paying a markup when many of the compnaies like Sig and Glock are very "pro police" and busting their butts to get police the discounts but non LE shops are selling civilian guns to cops to make a profit.

Oh really? I wasn't sure if it was legal to buy out of state and bring it back. I'll check with 4 Seasons in Woburn and see what the process . There getting $430 for a refurb G22.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Personally, I would never trade a Sig for a Glock, but if you are trying to get on in a department that uses Glocks, its not a bad idea to get familiar with the weapon. SOT is right, though, if you can shoot a Sig, you can shoot a Glock, the fundementals remain the same, only the controls on the pistol are different. If you're looking for an off-duty pistol, keep the 239, its more concealable than the Glock 22 or 23, and its not like departments provide off-duty carry guns. My advice, keep the Sig, and borrow a friend's Glock for a few shoot sessions to get familiar. If you buy the Glock, and you get on with the department, they'll issue you the Glock and you'll be stuck with 2.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have owned a Sig and a Glock. Firstly, both are excellent firearms. Neither should ever give you problems. It is the eternal Ford vs. Chevy debate. The only thing I would say is that they are fairly different beasts. Although I love both I would have to recommend to someone that is used to a Sig and considering buying a Glock...put a few boxes of rounds through the Glock before you make a n y conclusions. When I first obtained my Glock (as my mandatory sidearm) I was unimpressed with ergos, etc as I was used to Sig. After a few boxes of ammo I realized how excellent it can be. Give yourself time to get adjusted though (and its worth the $5 for the slip on rubber grip). As previously stated, both are worth keeping.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I also have owned both, the Sig 239 and the Glock 23. At my dept., we can actually choose, and I went with the Glock, sold off the Sig. They are both excellent, but the sticking point for me was the 7 round Sig mag vs. 13 round Glock. If you do go Glock, spend the few dollars on the grip, and allow a few days to get used to it, the ergos are very different from the Sig.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 7 round mag in the Sig is really the only reason why i would part with it. The 13 round mag in the G23 is what is so appealing, and maybe the fact that is lighter. I think i will just hang on to it for now and eventually get a Sig P229 and a G27 for concealed carry/backup.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If you are unable to acquire and neutralize a target in under six rounds (hey, the average gun battle lasts for approximately 2-3 seconds at close range), then do not attempt the fight! Training will save you, not a 'bullet hose'! As a police officer, you will (or should!) be trained to be a professional 'gunfighter' :D

Basically, the sig is bullet proof, with great fit-and-finish. Drop it in the mud, drive over it...pick it up and rock!

No, I'm not a sig-is-best-cause-that's-what-my-department-issued guy. I prefer a Colt 1911 when one has to 'turn-too'! 8) I'm also partial to wheel-guns...again, the fast/efficient/effective fighter wins. With a handgun it's not one-shot-one-kill: but you don't need a ton of rounds to get the job done!

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
dcs2244 @ Sat 25 Sep said:
If you are unable to acquire and neutralize a target in under six rounds (hey, the average gun battle lasts for approximately 2-3 seconds at close range), then do not attempt the fight! Training will save you, not a 'bullet hose'! As a police officer, you will (or should!) be trained to be a professional 'gunfighter' :D

Basically, the sig is bullet proof, with great fit-and-finish. Drop it in the mud, drive over it...pick it up and rock!

No, I'm not a sig-is-best-cause-that's-what-my-department-issued guy. I prefer a Colt 1911 when one has to 'turn-too'! 8) I'm also partial to wheel-guns...again, the fast/efficient/effective fighter wins. With a handgun it's not one-shot-one-kill: but you don't need a ton of rounds to get the job done!
Tell this to the LAPD when they had the North Hollywood shoot out.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True, 7 rounds SHOULD do the trick, but i'm thinking worse case senerio here... better safe than dead.

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
I currently carry a Sig P239. I like it a lot. However, the glock is used in 90% of agencies up here in the woods. So, ditch the decocked Sig and get a nice double action glock asap. Much better weapon. I have used the Model 17, 19, 22. I would suggest getting the .40 caliber 23, which has a smaller grip on it. A lot of places are now switching to sig .357 rounds, so check with the pd before you buy just to make sure that they haven't switched already. Also, agencies up here issue you weapons. A few allow you to use your own, but I wouldn't waste the money until you find out if they allow you to carry your own.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well, the North Hollywood thing is 'the exception, not the rule'. If we are going to plan for every contingency, perhaps we should patrol in Abrams tanks and arm everybody with assault rifles/machine guns :D ! In any event, a pistol would not be the weapon of choice for that scenario... :eek:t: sorry...I'll shut-up! :oops:

·
Registered
372 Posts
dcs2244 @ Sun 26 Sep said:
Well, the North Hollywood thing is 'the exception, not the rule'. If we are going to plan for every contingency, perhaps we should patrol in Abrams tanks and arm everybody with assault rifles/machine guns :D ! In any event, a pistol would not be the weapon of choice for that scenario... :eek:t: sorry...I'll shut-up! :oops:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,711 Posts
dcs2244 @ 26 Sep 2004 09:45 said:
Well, the North Hollywood thing is 'the exception, not the rule'. :
Hope you NEVER run into any "exception" there man! If you do maybe your Dept. has planned and equiped you with a Patrol-carbine (aka "assasult rifle/machine gun.YIKES!!)
:shock:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
A 'patrol carbine' would be great...I think we should carry them. It would be kind of expensive to issue one to each cop, though (not that money is an issue with me...but I'm not a boss :D ).

Like I implied, I don't think anyone here would choose to face the North Hollywood scenario armed with only a handgun.

And, yes, I agree. I hope I NEVER have to face that kind of situation without the appropriate weapons...

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
What about one per car? Or do you have one car per officer?
Most places I've seen have either one per car one per every other car and a shotgun in the other cars.

A 'patrol carbine' would be great...I think we should carry them. It would be kind of expensive to issue one to each cop, though (not that money is an issue with me...but I'm not a boss :D ).

Like I implied, I don't think anyone here would choose to face the North Hollywood scenario armed with only a handgun.

And, yes, I agree. I hope I NEVER have to face that kind of situation without the appropriate weapons...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I don't know if I'd like to 'share' a firearm: when I worked in another state, people spilled coffee and pop on them (the old vertical dash mount shotgun set-up), put candy wrappers down the barrel, etc.

Before everyone starts in about 'checking the weapon at the start of the shift, shift super to check the weapons, etc.: local folks, does that happen in the real world with just the cruisers???...maybe in East Moosefart, MA. But I'll bet it doesn't in Boston/Worcester/Springfield...or any large municipality where they are jumping through their collective a-double! How many times have you hit the brakes and had pop cans, bags of food, or a head come out from under the seat?

I suppose you could remove the weapon from the cruiser, take it some safe place to unload it, and turn it in for issuance to the next shift. What about overlapping shifts....etc. Too, are we willing to accept the additional liability of discharging a high powered rifle in an urban setting? Sure, we could compromise and carry M1 carbines, but I'd be willing to wager the .30 cal of that weapon wouldn't have penetrated the armor of the North Hollywood clowns.

I think a weapon per officer, no round chambered, would be the way to go. At the end of the tour, drop the mag and secure the firearm with the armorer. This way every weapon serial number would be logged to one cop...harder to mix up car-to-car, etc... and it would be easier for infernal affairs to tie a particular weapon to a particular individual :D !

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
With a rifle, it would have to be issued one rifle per officer, because the zero is different for every person, depending on their physical characteristics and the way they hold the weapon.

Tell this to the LAPD when they had the North Hollywood shoot out.
Most of the LAPD had Beretta 92s with 15 round magazines, and the dinky 9mm was about as effective as paintballs vs. the heavy body armor those clowns were wearing, so the capacity of the pistol was moot. I bet most of the LAPD officers would have traded their left nut for a single-shot rifle in .308!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts