Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Thread Killa
Joined
·
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posed:
I have a farm, I have 50 acres, I also have some acreage that I farm about a mile away...as well some of the fields on my own property are accessible via the road but not over the property (big stream that can't be crossed).

What kind of gig or rules are there with regards to incidental driving of a tractor on the road for short distances? Do I need farm plates? I have insurance for all my equipment that covers their use when farming my land and others and transportation between.

I have been told by local farmers that incidental driving on the road is OK. Some say within one mile, some say within three miles....what's the real answer.

thanks.
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
The basic law in violation is 90/2(Op unregistered M/V on a public way), unless your tractor is registered and has a license plate displayed. (100.00 fine and gets towed)
When I worked for a landscaping company, the tractors that werent registered had to be put on trailers and towed to the job site. I'm not familiar with the policies of obtaining and use of farm plates, but if you frequently put the tractor on a public way, you might as well contact the RMV to register it, otherwise the only safe bet would be to throw it on a trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Come on, don't break a guy's balls for driving his farm tractor less than a mile down the road. Farmers have a tough enough time without us harrassing them. I can't even count how many times I have seen unregistered tractors with just an orange safety triangle on the back driving near their farms. SOT_II, if you ever get gigged for driving your tractor down the road, PM me and we'll see what we can do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
SOT_II";p="54121 said:
Posed:
I have a farm, I have 50 acres, I also have some acreage that I farm about a mile away...as well some of the fields on my own property are accessible via the road but not over the property (big stream that can't be crossed).

What kind of gig or rules are there with regards to incidental driving of a tractor on the road for short distances? Do I need farm plates? I have insurance for all my equipment that covers their use when farming my land and others and transportation between.

I have been told by local farmers that incidental driving on the road is OK. Some say within one mile, some say within three miles....what's the real answer.

thanks.
A farmer plate can be attached to any vehicle owned by the farm. That is the ideal solution.

However, 90/9 states:

"tractor, trailer or truck may be operated without such registration upon any way for a distance not exceeding one-half mile, if said tractor, trailer or truck is used exclusively for agricultural purposes, or between one-half mile and two miles if said tractor, trailer or truck is used exclusively for agricultural purposes and the owner thereof maintains in full force a policy of liability insurance which conforms to the provisions of section one hundred and thirteen"
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
Hey BigDog15 the guy is only answering a legal question that the farmer asked, I dont see how he was busting his balls by giving him the right answer that he was looking for??
 

·
At your six
Joined
·
209 Posts
You should be safe even if you travel a little over a 1/2 mile with the tractor, I don't think many guys out there are going to jam you up for it. MGL does state "1/2 mile" but who's going to take the tape measure out....... but to be safe, go with the farmer's plate.

Hey BigDog15, have you taken your medication lately?? :p
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
badogg88";p="54169 said:
What about passing a tractor if you're in a passenger car on the road?
You have to ask yourself girl..................

"What would Earwax do?"
:wink:

Pass em when safe to do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Hahahaha. Good answer good answer.

That's what I figured. But this DUMBASS this morning would NOT pass a tractor. I was getting so aggrivated. The road on the other side was clear, finally he turned onto another road.
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Baddog, I explained the technical result of doing what he was wondering about, in W Mass, where I went through the academy, I noticed there were alot of wing dings that I think are fully capable of finding some way of citing/towing a tractor becuase its unregistered.
I'd leave the poor feller alone, I like tractors!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
I wasn't complaining about the tractor, but the moron behind him. I live on a road where there are 3 farms, so during the summer there are always tractors on the road. I don't mind them, I barely even realize that they're there anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
if you live in a small town going a mile down the street shouldn't be an issue. Technically if the tractor gores 25mph then it needs a plate (then 90/2 would apply). Farm plates are very tough to get...there s alot of paperwork involved. I know, it took me forever to get the farm plates for my pickup. Just don't be dumb about driving it on the street....those orange triangles do well. Again, just be smart...I have been driving tractors, other farm equipment, farm animals and such on the streets for years and it hasn't been an issue. Just don't plan on driving miles upon miles at a time. 1 mile shouldn't be an issue.
 

·
Thread Killa
Joined
·
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'm good, I only go up the driveway, about 1000 feet and then onto the other property 90% of the time. The other 10% it's no further than down my street. I will prolly get a farm plate for my tractor anyway as I have all the insurance for it, I just didn't think I really needed it.
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
SOT_II";p="54211 said:
Thanks guys. I think I'm good, I only go up the driveway, about 1000 feet and then onto the other property 90% of the time. The other 10% it's no further than down my street. I will prolly get a farm plate for my tractor anyway as I have all the insurance for it, I just didn't think I really needed it.
Hey Buddy,

Do you have an M-4 all slicked out for "varmint control" in a scabbard on your tractor? (or just an old M-14)
:wink:
 

·
Thread Killa
Joined
·
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just bought a minigun kit, now I'm trying to figure out how to mount it.



mpd61";p="54801 said:
SOT_II";p="54211 said:
Thanks guys. I think I'm good, I only go up the driveway, about 1000 feet and then onto the other property 90% of the time. The other 10% it's no further than down my street. I will prolly get a farm plate for my tractor anyway as I have all the insurance for it, I just didn't think I really needed it.
Hey Buddy,

Do you have an M-4 all slicked out for "varmint control" in a scabbard on your tractor? (or just an old M-14)
:wink:
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
SOT,

You're my newest f*cking HERO!!!!!!!!!!!! As a former FFL and State licenced "kitchen table" dealer, I salute you! I gave up the fight back in 1999, (wonder why) after over fifteeen years in the business.
You GO MAN!!!!!!!!!
:wink:
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
944 Posts
SOT_II";p="54803 said:
I just bought a minigun kit, now I'm trying to figure out how to mount it.



mpd61";p="54801 said:
SOT_II";p="54211 said:
Thanks guys. I think I'm good, I only go up the driveway, about 1000 feet and then onto the other property 90% of the time. The other 10% it's no further than down my street. I will prolly get a farm plate for my tractor anyway as I have all the insurance for it, I just didn't think I really needed it.
Hey Buddy,

Do you have an M-4 all slicked out for "varmint control" in a scabbard on your tractor? (or just an old M-14)
:wink:
MOunt it on the nose of the tractor with on of these

I'm sure there is a way it can be converted.

Or on one of these.


Scott :rock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
SOT
Don't worry about the plate. The tractor is not a motor vehicle by statute. It is an "implement of husbandry". With the distance you are traveling you only have to put a slow moving emblem on the rear (triangle). Other than that you are good to go (the farming industry has a strong lobby) :)
Also, that goes for your bailer and hay-wagons or whatever other implement you have.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,417 Posts
SOT_II";p="54803 said:
I just bought a minigun kit, now I'm trying to figure out how to mount it.
Good Lord Would I love to See That In Action....
Just Like Jesse "Badass"Ventura In Predator.........
\:D/
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top