Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi are they any town that do not offer residency preference in massachusetts. If so what are they. Thanks. Sorry if this has already has been posted i could not find it in the search.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Im pretty sure mass.gov...is the correct place to look...there are plenty in mass...its just hard to get on...you have to know someone or be the chiefs son.

·
Registered
422 Posts
NONE! Just the MBTA[/quote

There are plenty of PD's that don't have a residency requirement. You'll have to do some research.
Every civil service town in Ma residents get preference over non residents except the MBTA. If your asking about residency requirements once you get hired its up to the individual towns. Civil Service rule is 35 miles but some towns require you to there once hired.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Every civil service town in Ma residents get preference over non residents except the MBTA. If your asking about residency requirements once you get hired its up to the individual towns. Civil Service rule is 35 miles but some towns require you to there once hired.
Has CS changed the 15 mile rule to 35 miles? If they did....it's long overdue.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Your right, I meant 15, sorry. Your right it is overdue, but to be honest I dont know how strictly some towns enforce it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
7MPOC is correct. I believe the ONLY exception to ranking ahead of residents (D.Vet,Vet or civilian) in any municipality is the son or daughter of a police officer/firefighter killed in the line of duty. There are not many of those sooooo, all municipalities covered under chapter 31 have a residency preference, except MBTA. The latter is, of course, not a municipality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts