Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a police officer in a Mass town for 18 years. I got divorced and had problems to say the least,mostly alcohol. I was put on a stress leave and ordered to go to a psych. returned to the job in June 06. A ne w chief had taken over, basically ignored recommendations of psych. My alcohol problem was well documented and the new guy actuaslly encouraged my abuse ,by taking me out ,drinking after work, Long story short I had an altercation off-duty,with a fellow officer , while in a stuper and was suspended for 5 days and eventually forced to resign, Thankfully since that time (July 1 2007) I have turned my life around. I applied for reinstatement and was denied ,do I have a case on the town failing to act ,and ignoring the issue ??? Just want my job back that I loved and was very good at? Any direction would be appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Rugger,

I wish you well and hope all works out but you must be on a bender tonight to post something like that on a message board..

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts
Rugger, in my experience on the job I've found that people with substance abuse problems blame everyone but themselves for their downfall. Your on the right track straightening out you life but try to stay away from the blame game. Try starting over somewhere else, your already painted in your town. Just my 2 cents good luck

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
I agree with Tuna. I hope as you say, you have turned your life around and QUIT drinking altogether. If you didn't, even an occasional night out could set you back. I have experience with an alcoholic in my life. He is now sober almost 10 yrs. You said you had an alcohol problem but didn't straight out say you were an alcoholic. I wish you the best of luck, but you need to go elsewhere for a new start. Do you honestly think with all the cop haters out there you would be able to go back to your old department and do your job effectively? I don't and I bet your chief nows that. Now no matter what you do you will be under fire. If you want to stay in this line of work there are plenty of other departments and towns that don't know about your past. But, when you apply please be upfront with your new chief. Again, good luck with your sobriety and if you have a sponser use him/her.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may have an actionable case against the town & the chief if he actually took you out drinking after knowing you have a problem; best to speak to an attorney about that.

As far as being a police officer, I have to say that ship may have sailed. Give it a few more years of sobriety and try again, but remember you have to disclose any issues with alcohol on your background and LTC application which puts you at a disadvantage. That's also something to discuss with an attorney.

Whatever happens, good luck.

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
I was a police officer in a Mass town for 18 years. I got divorced and had problems to say the least,mostly alcohol. I was put on a stress leave and ordered to go to a psych. returned to the job in June 06. A ne w chief had taken over, basically ignored recommendations of psych. My alcohol problem was well documented and the new guy actuaslly encouraged my abuse ,by taking me out ,drinking after work, Long story short I had an altercation off-duty,with a fellow officer , while in a stuper and was suspended for 5 days and eventually forced to resign, Thankfully since that time (July 1 2007) I have turned my life around. I applied for reinstatement and was denied ,do I have a case on the town failing to act ,and ignoring the issue ??? Just want my job back that I loved and was very good at? Any direction would be appreciated.:confused:
Seriously, I think your law enforcement career is over. Time to move on to something else, being a truck driver is not bad.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
I dont think the town will be liable for anything. If you are that week minded to allow another person to lead you back to drinking then your not fit for the job.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Right or wrong, alcoholism has been classified as a disease. If this man was off-duty when the altercation occurred, he may have a leg to stand on for reinstatement to his job...Assuming he was civil service, there is not a history of progressive discipline and he has received documented treatment to resolve his problem.
More than one officer has gotten canned for doing something off duty when he was drunk and gotten their job back. I know more than one and they are extremely good police officers. No one bats 1000...many make mistakes that harm our lives.. Many deserve a second chance ..IF this person got help to resolve his problem, don't write him off so fast. I assume he cleared the psych and other screenings before getting appointed... maybe it was stress related...maybe he has learned how to cope without the use of alcohol.. who knows ?
I agree with Delta...talk with an attorney IF you truly got this monkey off your back..best wishes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts