Town of Harvard Police Officer | MassCops

Town of Harvard Police Officer

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by j809, Nov 15, 2019.

1. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

TOWN OF HARVARD POLICE OFFICER

The Town of Harvard Police Department is currently accepting applications to fill the position of full-time police officer and may hire additional officers, based on need, from a hiring list established by this posting. Harvard is a town in Worcester County, located 25 miles west-northwest of Boston along Routes 2 and 495 with a population of approximately 5,000 residents. Our ideal candidate is a motivated, driven individual that is committed to community policing philosophy.

Minimum Requirements are an Associate Degree in criminal justice, criminology, or any other related field deemed suitable by the Chief of Police, and Full-Time MPTC Academy certification, or equivalent academy training recognized by the MPTC.

Starting salary range is $50,988-$53,933 based on qualifications and experience. Other benefits include: shift differential ($1.50/hr. evenings, $1.80/hr. overnights) and educational incentive. New officer hired will receive an educational incentive of $5,000 for an Associate’s Degree, $8,000 for a Bachelor’s Degree and $10,000 for a Master’s Degree. Any candidate that is currently receiving Quinn-Bill benefits after 2009 will continue to receive Quinn-Bill benefits.

Other benefits include a 4/2 schedule, 75/25 Health Coverage, Town-paid Long-Term Disability, Paid Holidays, longevity pay, sick-time buyback, detective stipend, uniform allowance. We offer a number of opportunities such as participation in CEMLEC and various paid training and specialty assignments, overtime pay and details.

Candidates would need to complete and pass all phases of the selection process including interviews, extensive background investigation, medical and psychological examinations. Please note, termination from a sworn law enforcement position or resignation in lieu of termination are automatic disqualifiers for this position.

A resume and cover letter should be submitted electronically by e-mail only to Chief Edward D. Denmark at [email protected] by November 29, 2019. Any further questions can be sent to Sergeant James D. Babu at [email protected]

2. districtcircus12

districtcircus12 MassCops Member

" Please note, termination from a sworn law enforcement position or resignation in lieu of termination are automatic disqualifiers for this position."

That is more than half of the people applying...LOL yikes.

pahapoika, Joel98 and j809 like this.
  3. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Blanket rejection of candidates based on prior termination from an LE position, without independent consideration of the circumstances, is strongly discouraged by the Civil Service Commission as inconsistent with basic merit principles. Obviously, where HPD is not CS, they do not need to abide by this guidance, but it’s worth noting that this same policy would quite possibly not be upheld in a CS town.

pahapoika and Joel98 like this.
  4. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

I guess someone who was wrongfully terminated, then later completely exonerated (Kenny Conley comes to mind), would be disqualified.

pahapoika, Joel98, Hush and 3 others like this.
  5. districtcircus12

districtcircus12 MassCops Member

I am sure the entire department is full of sweet go-getter perfect little angels.

pahapoika and Roy Fehler like this.
  6. Red

Red MassCops Member

So, their recruitment contractor has a sense of humor.

upload_2019-11-26_14-10-30.png

mpd61, j809, pahapoika and 2 others like this.
  7. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Please note, termination from a sworn law enforcement position or resignation in lieu of termination are automatic disqualifiers for this position.

Was trying to explain this to a couple people.

No, they can't do that . All they can do is call to verify employment . They can't give any other information.

Whatever . . . . .

8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

They forget that they sign the waiver during the background which allows us to look at everything and access everything.A background investigation is different than regular employment applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Despite the hyperbole, it's pretty hard to actually get fired as a police officer in Massachusetts. Why would a department want to go down that road with someone as a new hire?

j809 likes this.
  10. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

.........their public police log is pack full of parking tickets, car stops, disabled MV calls and (I shit you not) “nothing of significance”. I’m having a tough time taking them seriously issuing such a blanket statement on EVERYONE whose ever been fired or whose ever resigned.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    MiamiVice and Joel98 like this.
  11. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

I got a good chuckle out of that recruitment poster.

I’m sure it’s a great department. Good luck to any and all applicants. But for me, I’m out.

mpd61 likes this.
  12. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

It actually IS a great department...........:cool:

j809 likes this.
  13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Everyone retires here. We had one person leave for another PD in 20 years

14. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

How about out of state police jobs? There are a lot of states where police departments tend to be much stricter, and not very forgiving or understanding of anybody's circumstances, especially young officers. There was a PD in the county where I worked in PA that had a reputation for almost every one of their new hires being terminated before probation ended, and usually for petty things. There are some other departments I know of that wanted really high speed guys who are practically bred to be cops. Basically, you're not going to make it unless you almost don't need FTO.
    My point being, that not everybody who gets fired or throws in the towel does so because they are fuck ups who tarnish the badge, or incompetent boobs who need to stay away from guns and cars. Sometimes, people just find themselves working for the wrong departments, and they need to dust themselves off, move on to somewhere new, and find the right place.

15. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

It’s very difficult to get fired in MA unless you did something pretty bad. That said I’m sure there are many departments that will take a former officer that was terminated but every department can set this town guidelines for employment. The reality is that there are plenty of candidates that were never terminated, so the competition is much harder when one has clean background and one does not. We are not talking about officers that were suspended or written up. Shit happens and as long as you can explain it you get a second d chance. From my experience we always received the usual 15 suspects that were terminated and are applying at every PD around and they are well known as they have crazy baggage. Smaller departments do not have the time and resources to vet out all these candidates as it is very time consuming and the final answer would be a denial anyways. This way nobody is wasting each other’s time.

mpd61 and Bloodhound like this.
  16. Bloodhound

That's why I specified Massachusetts. I know all sorts of wacky shit happens in other states. We still (somehow) have strong unions, Civil Service for some, and "just cause" clauses in collective bargaining agreements. If you get fired here, and it is upheld by Civil Service or an arbitrator, there is a good reason 99% of the time.

17. 02136colonel

Doesn’t Northampton have the reputation for firing excessive numbers of people in MA?

pahapoika and Joel98 like this.
  18. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

I believe they have/had the reputation of having a tough FTO program.

02136colonel likes this.
  19. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Yes, they have a reputation for getting rid of a lot of people.

02136colonel likes this.
  20. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

What about when you have an out of control chief.... we had a guy fired on probation because he applied for another agency....

21. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Funny how Chiefs get mad when officers do that when in most cases the chiefs come from different departments to take the job.

jjm98, samadam78, JR90 and 4 others like this.
  22. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

In the court of public opinion no one is safe these days.

The news media is more than happy to destroy the lives of people just to sell some extra minutes of airtime.

In days of old you would get called in , reprimanded / disciplined and sent on your way.

Now everyone runs scared. Nobody wants to lose their job to the lynch-mob mob and it's every man for himself :oops:

Joel98 likes this.
  23. R2D2

R2D2 MassCops Member

Within the last 5 years a large MA civil service department (275ish officers) had the chief, superintendent, and 2 deputy chiefs all retire within a year. 2 moving on to different PD’s the new chief that was selected turned it down last minute, causing the bringing up of another deputy chief of the department who never made it above sgt in civil service to get the permanent job. Within a year of his appointment he fired 3 LT’s. Cleaning house? Or putting his own in power? One of the deputy chiefs now was promoted from sgt. And prior worked In house handling details. Should say a lot....MASS is a fucked up state there’s no way in hell I’d ever go home and give up my current gig.

Joel98 likes this.
  24. 02136colonel

That’s the Dept with a jurisdiction of 175 cities and towns, right? And it seems like a few more of their Deputies have departed since then?

PG1911 likes this.
  25. Bloodhound

That department has a LOT of problems, and has for a very long time.