Tourniquets....continued | MassCops

Tourniquets....continued

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hush, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

The White House has just issued a new call for widespread training and use of tourniquets. I've posted about them here before....a damn important thing to have on you or close at hand.
    Tourniquet Use Urged in Public-Safety Push
    The article has some good points, but more interesting is this picture I found in a discussion of this topic on lightfighter.net (another great resource). This picture details the wounds received in the recent New Orleans mass shooting.....(if you didn't hear about it on the news, its because the shooter wasn't a TWP).
    Interesting from the point of a first responder, but also from the perspective of a potential victim of a shooting.
    gunshot.jpg

2. Hush

Yep. Things will be getting interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hank Moody likes this.
  3. felony

felony MassCops Member

I had TCCC in my academy as well as the military. The MPTC is planning a big push for training with tourniquets this coming year. I keep a tourniquet in my cruiser bag, you just never know.

4. Hush

That's good to hear! Even better if you can find room in a pocket or on the belt You have about 90 seconds of consciousness from a heavy bleed out.

5. Hush

6. Hush

One of the few switched on...not like anyone here had any doubt. The guys that need convincing should be retiring in a few years anyway...hopefully. Stay safe brother.

LawMan3 likes this.
  7. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

CAT Tourniquet is a mandatory part of duty belt or external carrier. Lightweight and very important. I like it.

brk120, Goose and Hush like this.
  8. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

9. Glockguy17

Glockguy17 MassCops Member

Those of you guys wearing a tourniquet on your belts, what holder and TQ are you using?
    I have a Swat T and quick clot in my vest but I wouldn't mind another option.

10. Hush

SOFT-T is widely regarded as the best and most durable, CAT is a close second. I prefer CAT as it is a bit simpler, and packs smaller. We are also issued them at work (EMS) I keep one in my cargo pocket, one in my car door pocket. The size of the SWAT-T is attractive, but it's a less than ideal TQ, however very effective as a pressure dressing. If you're looking for something flat and lo pro, check out the TK-4. I'd recommend a CAT, and one was just self-applied to good effect by the BPD officer shot in the leg last Friday.
    Z-fold Combat Gauze is the best Quick Clot on the market right now and and the standard for military aid kits....comes in handy for non arterial bleeding, and wounds that a TQ can't fix.

Ghost12345 likes this.
  11. Hush

There are a variety of TQ holders available, from re-purposed pouches to detected holders. For a duty belt, I'd recommend the Eleven-Ten TQ holder, available thru Raven Concealment. Around $30, but looks sharp, blends on a duty belt, and is functional.
    Eleven 10 Tourniquet Cases and Holders

12. Glockguy17

thanks Hush..

Hush likes this.
  13. Glockguy17

I picked one up along with the Gen 7 CAT-T and they are both riding on my belt as we speak. Thanks again.

Hush and Goose like this.
  14. Hush

Awesome!

15. felony

felony MassCops Member

Anyone know where I can get a CAT gen 6 tourniquet? I bought one of those holders for my duty belt, however it's for a gen 6, not the latest gen 7 tourniquet.

16. Goose

Return the holder and wait for them to come out with holders for the Gen 7's. If that isn't an option, you would probably have to buy someone a new tourniquet and swap for their old tourniquet.

17. Hush

Does it not fit? There isn't much of a dimensional difference between the generations.

18. felony

felony MassCops Member

The eleven 10 tourniquet case states it will not fit the gen 7 cat and they are working on a replacement holder for the gen 7. I would think that it would fit regardless but whatever. I found one on amazon, so hopefully that works.

19. Hush

Well that stinks....hope you get it sorted out.

20. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

We are being issued the SWAT-T which is nothing more than a long elastic piece of rubber. Simple, basic, amazingly affective.

21. Hush

Has its plusses and minuses...makes a great pressure bandage ...slippery when covered with blood.

Kilvinsky, diddy2003 and Goose like this.
  22. Goose

Check the NAR website after you get it to make sure you didn't get a counterfeit.

Glockguy17 and felony like this.
  23. diddy2003

diddy2003 MassCops Member

Anyone know of a tourniquet case that comes in high gloss leather for a duty belt? I see the plain leather one, but it doesn't look like a match. Thanks.

24. felony

felony MassCops Member

It doesn't appear to be a knock off, but who knows its amazon. The way I see it, as long as I have something to stop the bleeding. With all the cops getting shot lately, this should be a mandatory item for the duty belt.

Goose and Hush like this.
  25. Hush

It absolutely should be mandatory. And if the job won't get you one, it's worth springing for yourself.

felony and Goose like this.