Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tough decision to make and would like some help with it. Right now I am going through the background investigation for U.S. Customs & Border Patrol - Customs Inspector. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't get the job but I am also very high on my home city for the civil service list. I heard that the city is looking into hiring some more officers but with all the layoffs, I don't know if I would get a chance. Four of the laid off guys that are currently serving in the city is supposedly going back also. Which leaves quite a bit of openings to be filled. I would rather stay in my city than go to Georgia for Customs. Is there a way to ask Customs for a 6-month deferment for some reason? What would be the best decision to make? I really don't want to be in the academy for Customs and have to fly back here for an interview while doing everything down there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Custom inspectors are not (LEO) they are (GS). They go as high as GS-11 which is not bad at all. Plus just getting in the governement gives you the ability to get another federal job say Marshals, DEA, ATF easier than if you are still a civilian. Thanks for the input everyone. I have been thinking hard about this and I think I'm going to take it if it's offered. The only downside is the relocation and the initial drop in pay. But the pay increases are good, so it would only be temporary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I might hold off on Customs if they offer it now. I just got a card from my home town for (2) police officers. So I went down and signed the sheet yesterday. Now all I can do is wait and see what comes up first.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top