I have a tough decision to make and would like some help with it. Right now I am going through the background investigation for U.S. Customs & Border Patrol - Customs Inspector. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't get the job but I am also very high on my home city for the civil service list. I heard that the city is looking into hiring some more officers but with all the layoffs, I don't know if I would get a chance. Four of the laid off guys that are currently serving in the city is supposedly going back also. Which leaves quite a bit of openings to be filled. I would rather stay in my city than go to Georgia for Customs. Is there a way to ask Customs for a 6-month deferment for some reason? What would be the best decision to make? I really don't want to be in the academy for Customs and have to fly back here for an interview while doing everything down there.