Topping up...Ok...or bad for the car... | MassCops

Topping up...Ok...or bad for the car...

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by EnforceOfficer, Jun 2, 2010.

1. EnforceOfficer

EnforceOfficer New Member

Anyone know if it's ok or bad to top up your car while refueling after the pump stops for the first time ?

2. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

I always top off when I'm re-fueling and have never had a problem. It will probably be illegal soon here in the US, so we all better have our fun while we can.

3. BRION24

BRION24 Supporting Member

Well the pump shuts off when it is full so why should we put a little extra in. I don't know what kind of damage can be done but I would imagine that it shuts off at that specific time for a reason.

4. DEI8

DEI8 Supporting Member

On the top of the filler spout for the gas tank, there is a line that sucks the vapors out of the tank, its part of the EVAP system, when topping off liquid gas can enter the system and possibly increasing the chances of damaging the electrical checkvalve and sensor.

Knowing this I still always top off my tank.

5. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

I do it to even off the dollar amount. I guess it's an OCD thing. :teeth_smile:

6. DEI8

DEI8 Supporting Member

On occasion I will see just how much I can put in the tank, I have had it right to the top of the flapper.

7. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

I always top off. Its a habbit of mine where the final total has to read 00 at the end. I cant stand having my total be something like 42.58 lol... it needs to read 43.00!

8. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

It's this sort of thing that is the reason why I always go to a full serve. I've actually never pumped a drop in my life. It's not that I can't do it, it's just that I'm a girl & I don't have to do it. :teeth_smile: Even if I have to go to a self serve, I can always get someone to do it for me.

9. EnforceOfficer

EnforceOfficer New Member

Thanks for the various opinions...The reason I brought it up is I saw it posted on a few gas station fuel pumps in the mid-west US that it is not recommended to top-up...

One thing I found odd was the little metal piece that holds down the level on the fuel nozzle, those have been illegal in Ontario for at least 10 years...

10. WaterPistola

WaterPistola Subscribing Member

Back in my younger gas pumping summer job days, the metal piece was common and used it all the time. Now I am pretty sure it is illegal as I cannot find it anymore. Also, topping off to the .25 mark wasn't a problem...unless they drove a subaru. In which case those lib bastards deserved the overflow.

11. rscalzo

rscalzo MassCops Member

Ford specifically recommends against it.

Topping off to the point the fuel reaches the top can floor the evaporative canister. this canister should only draw in fumes. If liquid is drawn in, the likely result is destruction of the unit and a Check Engine Light when the vapor purge is no longer possible. It won't be cheap.

The additional gallon or less isn't going to make a difference.

12. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

This reminds me of the time I was topping off my car while my eyes were glued to the pump waiting to let go of the handle at just the right time, next thing I know, I hear the overflow of gasoline spilling on the ground...Whoops!:rolleyes:

13. Mozzarella

Mozzarella MassCops Member

I encourage Mrs Mozz to go to a full service station, just to make sure the right type of gas gets put into the tank. Her track record for filling up the rider mower sucks, so I dont chance it. " Hey hun, what gas can did you use?". Her respones "The one with the BIG number 2 on it dummy". Fuck me.....

14. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I can squeeze an extra dollar ontop of where ever it shuts off. Also, a good replacement for those metal thingies is to wedge the gas cap under the pump handle. That way you can do other stuff, rather then hold the handle the whole time. When gas starts to come out the top, you know the tank is FULL.

15. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

When I fill up my tank while the car is running. I then proceed to light a cigarette while filling up my car, because I'm bored just standing there. Sometimes I completely forget to let go of the handle and spill gas all over the ground, causing a puddle of gasoline, but it usually is the best spot to put out my cigarette.

Oh yeah, definitely round to the nearest .00, as that's what usually causes my gas puddle.

16. Mozzarella

Mozzarella MassCops Member

My gas cap wont reach the nozzle so I use my cell phone instead.

17. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Don't let the ladies hear that, sounds like a personal problem!