Today's test?? | MassCops

Today's test??

Discussion in 'Promotional Exams' started by Treehouse413, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

So for those who took today's civil service promotional exam how was it? I spoke with some of our guys that said there was a lot of juvenile law. Can't believe the state charges $250 for it. Well best of luck and I'm sure the results will be out in a quick 6 months .

2. Gecko86

Gecko86 MassCops Member

Tough!

btoc343 likes this.
  3. btoc343

btoc343 MassCops Member

It was the 2nd time I took the promotional exam. (Lt exam) this time around and I thought it was so ridiculous, I don't get what civil service is trying to gauge I felt like this test was impossible to study for. $250 is definitely steep (fortunately my Dept will reimburse us the cost of the exam just have to show you took it. ) The last time I took it (2012) we didn't get results back until January so I would be shocked to see the results anytime soon. glad it's done and will hope for the best

4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Say what? You have to pay $250 to take a promotional test?! What the heck is that all about? Not only are our promotional tests free, if the guys don't have the day off, we could conceivably take the test on-duty and actually get paid to do it.

Some of that Civil Service stuff is pretty backwards in my opinion. I'm very thankful I got away from that and that we don't have that kind of thinking out west.

Joel98, BxDetSgt, pahapoika and 2 others like this.
  5. Treehouse413

Yes it's a fu$ked system to make money. We get the money back if we pass it. The last one I took for sgt was 2013 and passed it. The test sucks either way.

btoc343 likes this.
  6. btoc343

btoc343 MassCops Member

They always seem to pick the most obscure items as test questions I know I am preaching to the choir but they really need to cut down on the number of books there is like 10000 pages worth of information for 100 questions

7. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I spent $250 on liquor and felt better for it...NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

samadam78, pahapoika, mtc and 4 others like this.
  8. Treehouse413

Yes agreed . When I and my friend who was studying for SP promo exam compared material he couldn't believe all the books we had.

btoc343 likes this.
  9. 91crownvic

91crownvic New Member

Does anyone remember the test? my brain was toast at the end. I was certain that some of the questions were appealable but I can't recall anything specific, other than the assault question and its answers were awfully vague.

btoc343 likes this.
  10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

It was tough, not not as tough as the last one, I thought. There was a lot of juvenile law, which they hit pretty hard two tests ago.

11. btoc343

btoc343 MassCops Member

I like how they don't even give you any paper so you can write down the questions that you think we're appealable you just have to remember the many lol

BxDetSgt likes this.
  12. btoc343

btoc343 MassCops Member

Totally agree I really don't see what they think these promotional tests will guage i have always heard that the failure rate is usually pretty high but never confirmed ifs not like anyone from civil service would ever say if it was true or not

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  13. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

I am not a Lt. because I could not correctly answer who orders replacement toilet paper in the pct. There were absolutely no questions on arrests, tactics, leadership, conflict resolution, or de-escalation. Toilet paper!!

pahapoika, Joel98 and Kilvinsky like this.
  14. Treehouse413

WOW are you series? Is that the Boston test?

15. Kilvinsky

No doubt this was multiple choice, but in an essay....
    "I would, since I cannot trust the current folks who outrank me to correctly replace that vital element of police science. Due to the amazing amount of shit we put up with, toilet paper is an essential part of the job, however since it is often too narrow, lacking in plies and frequently rips with the pressure of your finger against your sphincter, I would make a point of ordering Charmin. It may not be perfect, but it does the trick. I will never call our American Bears liars and as long as they endorse that product, I'm in sync with them. I also must point out that when installing a new roll of toilet paper, to have it dispensed UNDER rather than the traditional AMERICAN way of OVER, would be an immediate cause for discipline. Though I could not be expected to install all the paper myself, I could hold those who install it incompetently accountable. It is well known that ONLY Communists and BLM members (WHITE BLM members) insist on the Under Dispensary of Toilet Paper."

Tuna and Goose like this.
  16. Fuzzywuzzy

Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

This guy has some, if you really need it. 9106c502d8e3e512740f6a706700cc47.jpg

pahapoika likes this.
  17. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

FYI the pct. clerk (SPAA) orders toilet paper through the quartermaster section.

USM C-2, pahapoika and Goose like this.
  18. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

$250 for a promotional exam??? That is crazy!

pahapoika likes this.
  19. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

That sounds like a better investment can i come help you study?

Kilvinsky and pahapoika like this.
  20. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

No doubt somebody up on high ran out of TP one afternoon and now it's on the test :p

21. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Many years ago someone who should know told me that the only goal of the promotional exam was to spread out the applicants so the appointing authority could make a choice. Instead of ten people passing, they get to pick a top scorer. That's the only reason for the test.

Since we don't have any rules down here, we use a written test, an oral board, and an interview with the Chief for promotion. The written test covers law, department procedures, university procedures, and that's about it. We give out a study guide ahead of time.

The oral board asks questions designed to allow the candidate to show judgement. They are always the odd situations supervisors wind up getting into... an officer having an affair, a high-ranking official caught having sex with someone else in a parking lot, drug use by a co-worker... Officers come up to me afterwards and ask why we ask them "such crazy questions."

Until they get promoted... then they come in to my office, shut the door, and tell me NOW they know why we ask those questions.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  22. Kilvinsky

WRONG GODDAMN BRAND! FIRE THAT SOM'BITCH!
    Oh, look at what going on in the background! I didn't even intend to make a joke there, and fan the flames of anger. MY BAD! Shit, I'm just burning up the internet with this hot topic. Though, this guy is apparently a wise shopper who knows how to find smokin' hot deals, his victory march is inflammatory.

23. Gecko86

Gecko86 MassCops Member

Scores???

24. Treehouse413

Are the scores out?

25. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Not that I'm aware of.