Today’s 72nd anniversary of D-Day | MassCops

Today’s 72nd anniversary of D-Day

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Jun 6, 2016.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

D-Day ceremonies to remember fallen
    Laurel J. Sweet Monday, June 06, 2016

Today’s 72nd anniversary of D-Day, the Allied invasion of the beaches of Normandy in 1944 that led to the liberation of western Europe and the downfall of Nazi Germany, will be marked by the reading of the names of all 2,499 American soldiers, sailors, airmen and Coast Guardsmen who were killed that day at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Va.

The reading of the names by surviving relatives, dignitaries and volunteers is expected to take several hours.

Locally, the day will be marked by events in South Boston and Haverhill.

At 9 a.m. at the city’s WWII Memorial in Washington Square, Haverhill, will remember D-Day with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Tonight at 6:30, the South Boston Historical Society welcomes all to join them at St. Augustine Chapel, 181 Dorchester St., for an evening of stories by community members who have served this country.

Ed Hamilton, a U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, will be the featured speaker.

FTH, HistoryHound and Tuna like this.
  2. kwflatbed

Today we're thinking of the thousands of brave WWII soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy, 72 years ago.

[​IMG]

3. kwflatbed

4. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Amazing what these guys did. And even more amazing is that many of them were only kids, not even 20 years-old. God Bless 'em all.

5. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

How many of today's kids even know what this is. How many Remember Pearl Harbor? How many Remember The Maine? How many remember The Alamo?

It's so sad that American History is so blurred by Political Correctness. Those guys did amazing things and it's all but forgotten these days. Each generation has produced heroes. That generation was essentially made up of heroes.

7. JD02124

I ask kids at the high school im assigned to U.S history related questions 9/10 kids I ask questions to give me "I donno". Out all the seniors only 4 are going into the military. All four of them are also JROTC also which is going to end this year due to budget cuts.

mpd61 likes this.
  8. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Even sadder is that many kids today are being taught the "new history." The version where we were the aggressors for dropping the bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The version where a sitting president of the United States apologizes for a decision that he would be too much of a coward to make if it needed to be today. I recently read something that suggested the reason people don't understand the sacrifices of our military men and women is because most people don't serve in the military nor do they have family or friends currently serving. I don't know what the solution is. Whatever it is, nothing is going to change until we make some serious changes in the direction this country is headed.

By the way, I didn't hear one word of the anniversary on the news this morning. How sad is that?

felony likes this.
  9. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Just as well.........The military will turn them into killers, or they will be killed. Better they all join Peace Corps and move to Chicago and save the world, starting there. Besides, IF they survive their enlistments, they'll only come home with Vet status and take unarmed city jobs like a certain retarded vet I know LOL!

Goose and JD02124 like this.
  10. JD02124

LMAO!

mpd61 likes this.
  11. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I'm a member of my department's Honor Guard and have the honor next week of serving at the funeral of one of our retirees who is a Pearl Harbor Survivor and later served on an aircraft carrier for the remainder of the war. Now he's a hero!

kwflatbed, HistoryHound and Goose like this.