Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you do?

I stopped a late model car other day for speeding. noticed a reject sticker for safety. R-5 showed about six weeks out. The driver was cooperative and claimed he had just bought two (2) new tires for front and hadn't got back to the station yada, yada, yada. Tires looked like fresh out of NTB, so I gave verbal. Later one of my comrades tells me I "MUST" tow for a safety reject. Is this true? I have in-service next week in Plymouth, but am curious as to where it says we MUST tow in this situation.

·
Subscribing Member
4,347 Posts
You don't have to, unless you believe that car is dangerous if operation continues. For example, if it failed for brakes and the car has a hard time stopping and also has two bold tires then I would say yes. At the academy, one of our staff instructors did say you shall tow for safety rejection. I've never doen it and I don't know what the civil implications this can bring. You are not an expert in motor vehicle safety,unless you're a mechanic. I know that I don't know jack about cars except changing the air filter, PCV valve and windshield washer fluid. I wouldnt't get involved in towing for this, it could raise an eyebrow. Take care Woody and let me know who it was, maybe OIC WC? :D

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
A few guys on my department have recently had the same discussion, the general consensus is to only tow if the safety inspection failure greatly impedes the operation of the vehicle, such as the bald tires, breaks, ball joints etc... But not for items like lights, cracked windshield and so on. No one mentioned the fact that we have to tow so I guess it's up to the officers discretion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also agree that it's a case by case basis, safety being paramount. I would also suggest that your department should have a written policy. That way it takes the liability off you. The law also requires a Sgt. or above to authorize a tow. I know this is difficult in smaller departments that may not always have a supervisor on, thats why it would be an asset to have a written policy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Would you tow for inoperable break lamps, or no rear lights..... I had one w/ no rear lamps the other night, I just gave a warning and the guy lived up the road and was decent. Just for future reference??

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
GPD11 said:
Would you tow for inoperable break lamps, or no rear lights..... I had one w/ no rear lamps the other night, I just gave a warning and the guy lived up the road and was decent. Just for future reference??
No not in that situation, throw the 4 ways on and drive home, I might write a warning just as a reminder to get it fixed.

·
1,952 Posts
masstroopers1 said:
"break": Function: verb
"brake": Function: noun

If you stamp too hard, you may break your brake pedal.

One of those pet peeves. You new guys will see more as time goes by. Carry on.
hahahaha :L:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Of course you can always tow for a safety rejection, no matter what it is, if you really want to annoy the operator (I'm thinking of the many young "street racers" I've sent away on the back of flatbed). You can also tow if they lower the height more than 2 inches. Just something to consider when you stop your next "fast and furious" Honda.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts