Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Killjoy275, maybe you can help me out on this:
How does the State police time off work? Is it easy to take days off or half days off considering you are working with only a few guys? Also does MSP have comp time or time owed or something similar? How many days a year do troopers usually get off each year?
Thanks

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
You get 2 weeks of Vacation (at my level) and 5 personal days a year in addition to holidays you earn. There is usually no problem in getting off the time you want, if there is absolutely no coverage and you are the junior guy, you can usually finagle a swap. Also, you can short the shift twice a month. If you work a day that you are not supposed to you often get a day-off-lost, a freebie day you can take anytime. Why are you so interested? Are you working in the HR deparment of a company?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a 98 on the MSP test and Im also up for the job in my city, so I was just looking at the two and trying to see what would be better off in the long run.

·
Registered
181 Posts
P2K, I'm biased. The MSP offers good pay, free dry cleaning, and a chance to see the Commonwealth as you cross it back and forth to work every day in you rtake home cruiser stopping for every DMV that doesn't ahve an orange sticker in the window. :evil:

A lot of your decision depends on what you want to do as a police officer, but I will say this: It's a tight job market for law enforcement.
Take the first job you are offered. However, if you become a Local officer and still want to go to the MSP, you would join a long line of people with more than one academy under their belt... :D

Good Luck

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
SSRG, is there a maximum distance that troopers have to live to their Barracks? I can see commuting long distances in a marked cruiser as being a bit of a pain.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I'll have to agree with SRREG, on this one, take any job you can find; you can always leave it to go to the MSP. I'm also biased in thinking the MSP is about the best job around, so take my advice with a grain of salt. As far as commuting distances go, there is no limit within the commonwealth, although the union and the job tries to put you as close as possible to your home of record. This often means, unfortunately, a long commute for some people, but you don't have to pay gas or tolls :oops: . There is always one "commute king" in every class who has to commute a sick distance; but the average long commute is 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hrs. I moved out to my patrol area for a couple of years, and it was great. But now I moved back to eastern MA, and I'm doing the long ride; you get used to it and it doesn't last forever. :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.