Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that the police keep their tires inflated to the "max pressure" stated on the sidewall?

I read on a hypermiling website that cops and taxis keep them at max sidewall pressure because it provides more hydroplaning resistance and more overall traction. They said the manufacturer recommended pressure is purely for a comfortable ride but will lead to wear on the outer edges.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wouldn't a higher pressure lead to less surface area of the tire contacting the roadway which would lead to more hydroplaning??

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
I keep my tires over-inflated not for performance reasons, but because Barack Obama said I should.
If all the cop cars had overinflated tires, we wouldn't have to drill for oil in the outer shelf. Inflating your tires to max pressure also will stop global warming and peace will come to the Earth.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
I'm lucky if the bald tires on my cruiser can hold air pressure let alone worry about over-inflating them.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
I underinflate my tires, much like NASCAR, so I get super duper grip when I take corners at 90mph....

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Sweet, and I thought I was the only one to do this.

I also weave back and forth while on the roadway while on "normal patrol" so when that hot call comes in, I know that my tires are scrubbed clean and don't have to worry about debries on them that would make me spin out when I enter that firat corner at 90mph.:p
Hells yah fella *******..

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Im' lucky if there is Gas in the cruiser when I get it, let alone fully inflated tires.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Barring a flat, once a month when I bring my take home to Goodyear for an oil change, they fill it up to what they feel necessary. =)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Maximum or over-inflated tires are like Bumbles: they bounce.

More bounce = lower 'f' (mu)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts