Tint on cruisers | MassCops

Tint on cruisers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by patrol22, Dec 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

The new fleet manager at my dept is looking to tint the windows on all the marked cruisers but is expecting some resistance from the top. I’ve noticed a trend of adding tint gaining steam lately. Anyone have words of advice on how to get the brass to go for it?

and if anyone is curious all the brass and D cars are already tinted :rolleyes:

pahapoika likes this.
  2. IamTheDude

IamTheDude MassCops Member

Best argument(s) in no particular order...
    - Officer safety, harder to see you when your guard may be down (writting something, on the phone, using MDT [reduces the visual of the computer light], etc).
    - Comfort, you are in the cruiser 8-16 hours per day... reduces snow blindness and baking in the sun (mostly on the left side)
    - UV exposure / skin cancer... plain windows have the magnification effect and you are exposed 8-16 hours per day. (a bit of a stretch but at least somewhat true)

pahapoika, CCCSD and Goose like this.
  3. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

Just put K-9 lettering in really small letters on every cruiser then it's perfectly legal

pahapoika and CCCSD like this.
  4. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Luckily I work in RI so we don’t have that hurdle to jump over. Although it didn’t stop the brass and D units in my last dept (in MA) from all being blacked out.

5. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Easy
    1, To hide the rifle(s) and other equipment from public view
    2, If your car has a MDT you are protecting state RMV NCIC CJIS and BOP information from being viewed by the general public. Anyone with a good set of binoculars and moderate computer skills could see what your logon and password are by watching and logging your key strokes from a far.

TheyLive and CCCSD like this.
  6. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Transporting prisoners and victims of domestic violence privacy. Transporting mental health patients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 and pahapoika like this.
  7. unnamedsource

unnamedsource MassCops Member

Show-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RodneyFarva and Goose like this.
  8. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

All good points. I was also thinking that it may cut down on complaints of eating, cell phone use, etc since it hides it all away.

pahapoika likes this.
  9. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Make sure it’s legal tint. I know of one department went too dark and couldn’t get inspection stickers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pahapoika likes this.
  10. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Must have pissed off the local shop. I know for a fact ours a below the standard but we have no issue getting a sticker

CapeSpecial, j809 and CCCSD like this.
  11. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

All of the visibility reasons as well as ballistic/ambush protection. Certainly won't stop a round, but any window film will hold the safety glass together. Without it, one round will clear out a whole window exposing the seated officer to follow-on shots.

If there is film in place, the window holds together giving the officer more of a chance to act with hitting the gas, returning fire, etc.

Goose, Hush and pahapoika like this.
  12. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Window tint must have improved over the years. The old stuff would get cloudy, lots of bubbles and a weird purple hue :p

13. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Beat me to it!

TacEntry likes this.
  14. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Low quality dyed tint films will still fade, haze, bubble, and separate from the window when the adhesive fails over time from UV exposure.

pahapoika likes this.
  15. felony

felony MassCops Member

RI legal tint must be 70%. I am not sure of a provision in RIGL making exceptions for law enforcement. Convince your operations captain would come down to money and time. If you have a large fleet and don't have a local tiny guy volunteering to install it, you can forget it.

16. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

RIGL 31-23.3-4 - go down to number 2 for the police exemption.

The plan would be to only tint new incoming cruisers as it would be too pricey to do all the existing ones.

17. felony

felony MassCops Member

You may have a shot then. When I worked in RI our fleet was too big. We were lucky if we got new cars never mind tint lol. My department in MA tints their cruisers it's not too expensive since the utilities already have the factory tinted rears. Ours are almost limo tint, so the biggest drawback is visibility at night.