Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity (this question is to the officers already on the job) how long was it from when you received your civil service scores to when you ended up on a department? I understand the environment today is probably different from when many of you got on and it all depends on the needs of individual departments but I was just curious. Was it a few weeks, a year, two years? Im not expecting much from this test with all of the layoffs and cuts but would like to here from those who have "been there and done it",
Thanks

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
A year and 3 months after the last test I signed my civil service card. Then the process was about 7 months for background check, two interviews, civil service physical, p.a.t. and that was for a civil service R/I position. The process was the same for the two guys who got the F/T positions open at the time. The only good thing is that I never have to take that dumb test again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Two past tests with 98's, residency in a town with a dept of over 100 officers, and still waiting for a card :( :x . New test, who knows....

GOOD LUCK, STAY SAFE

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Danman1116 said:
Generally how long does it take to actually hear from one of the departments that you listed on the test?
Generally you might never hear from them even if you got 100, unless you're a vet or a minority (women do NOT count). If you scored below a 98 (and that's pushing it), I'd say you'll never hear from them.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Just under two years from test to card. After I signed the list it was two months before I was sworn in.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Officer Dunngeon said:
Danman1116 said:
Generally how long does it take to actually hear from one of the departments that you listed on the test?
Generally you might never hear from them even if you got 100, unless you're a vet or a minority (women do NOT count). If you scored below a 98 (and that's pushing it), I'd say you'll never hear from them.
yea i did kinda crappy for a first timer...only scored an 88. Hohum :cry:

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
Roughly on the same subject. in the mail today i got a letter from my local PD. I was looking at the letter wondering what was inside the envelop. I said to myself, maybe this is the "card" everyone was talking about. Maybe I am being selected to be a reserve officer!

WRONG It was a letter saying all reserve and Auxies need to attend a first responders meeting :oops:

Civil Service is just like playing the lottery=it doesn't matter what your number (score) is, cuz the odds are never in your favor :twisted:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,756 Posts
Officer Dunngeon said:
Danman1116 said:
(women do NOT count). quote]

Dunngie PAHLEEZE!!!!

Female card can be played, and often is. Hence the "females only list"
Albeit it is more for the selecting officials.

Example: Suzy the selectman's niece is number 23 on the list below the DVets and everbody else, and she scored a 95. The selectmen can decide they want to diversify the force and send into HRD for the "females only list" Now Suzy might be the second or third highest ranking female on that list, but guess who gets the job without a hitch?

One limiting variable is that the town can only request a "female" specific list if their force is at <10% female. (but they can get around that too.)
P.M. me if you want a recent specific case
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
(women do NOT count). quote]

Dunngie PAHLEEZE!!!!

Female card can be played, and often is. Hence the "females only list"
Albeit it is more for the selecting officials

Well MPD61, I am here to tell you that your "females only list" IS A BIG FAT CROCK OF SH** :x I got 100 on the last test and got 3 cards from HRD, the 3rd being for 15 females. When I went it to sign the list my name was at the bottom of the first page.... I went through the drug screen 3 times, went through the paperwork process 2 times and the detectives came to my house back in Oct.of 02' and were talking to my neighbors up until Nov. of the same year. Being a female did me no good on any "FEMALES ONLY LIST"... We woman who don't have any preference (DVET,VET), get passed over just like the men do... :FT: All I am saying is the "FEMALES ONLY LIST" did nothing for me. Please excuse my ranting, this whole civil service thing just burns me! :BM:

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Too true...

I know what you are saying, mpd61, but I think that may be the case more in smaller towns and non-civil service departments. I mean females are not considered a minority in status as far as civil service is concerned. Civil Service is not going to bump you higher up the list because you are a female. What the city or town wants is a different story.

How many times are we going to have to go over this??? :roll:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,756 Posts
Dunngie,

Thanks for the reply. We're in agreement. As I previously stated, the TOWN can use it to their advantage. THEY can play that card.

Capt. Kirk,

I hope your phaser was only set to stun, or you just burned a hole in my butt!
:lol:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
True, the Female cards are played.

A female friend of mine heard that a department, which she was NOT listed for, was looking to hire a female. So, she changed her choices to add that town that was hiring and received a card less than 3 weeks later. It took her less than 4 months to complete the process and be appointed by the selectman - yep she made it! All on a "hint".... They were looking to hire a total of 3 Officers and wanted at least 1 female. There were 2 other females in the 'running' she made the cut, went through the Academy and was on her own after only 4weeks of field training.

She's a non-resident, and does NOT have VET status.

Now only if us guys could be so lucky....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was appointed to a town PD recently as a PI. The town sent their selections to Civil Service the end of August. I was told that it was appealed by somebody that was passed over. How long will it take to get my official approval from Civil Service? I'm getting nervous because this is from the last test not the most recent one. I called civil service and they won't tell me squat!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.