Time For A Few Good Books | MassCops

Time For A Few Good Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Inspector, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I've mentioned it before....if you can find it anywhere (I'm NOT lending out my copy), a great read is Signal Zero by George Kirkham. It's the true story of a criminology professor at Florida State University getting called out by one of his police officer students for living in a theoretical world.

Long story short, Kirkham went to the full police academy, and then worked a 2-man unit in the worst section of Jacksonville for 6 months full-time. Needless to say, he never looked at police officers and policing the same way again.

3. phuzz01

phuzz01 Subscribing Member

Just read "War" by Sebastian Junger. He is the author of "The Perfect Storm." While working for Vanity Fair, he was embedded in the Korengal Valley in Afghanistan. Very quick and interesting read, and one of the most accurate descriptions out there of the war in Afghanistan.

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Now you know why I'm not lending out my copy!

I got mine on E-Bay for a pretty reasonable price....$20 or so.

5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I checked my library. It wasn't available but that was well over two years ago. Who knows if it's in libraries now. I think I'll double check.

6. Cyrix142

Cyrix142 MassCops Member

Delta on your recommendation I tracked down a copy online, and just finished it an hour ago. Excellent book, one I highly recommend if you can find a copy.

7. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Amazon.com has paperback copies of "Signal Zero" for about $ 9.00 including shipping.

I also recommend "Chesty" the biography of Marine Lewis "Chesty" Puller.

8. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

"BY Order of the President" by Web Griffin

9. Kilvinsky

"Decision Points" by W.

A perfect President, no, but I have been and always will be a fan. The book was a gift and I'll be damned if I'm NOT going to read it. And actually, it's pretty good. Years ago I tried to read Dan Quayle's book. I still like Quayle, but he can't write worth a damn. W. has done a nice job.

10. 5-0

5-0 Guest

Police Pistolcraft by Mike Conti

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Let me know how you like it.....my sister-in-law was so impressed, she bought her own copy and has read it multiple times.

12. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I'm reading it too. Free from my public library.

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

You're not going to want to return it.

14. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

For those who prefer some entertainment I recommend Lee Child books. He is the creator of Jack Reacher, a nomadic ex-military cop who falls into more crap than flies. Nothing real heavy...just some beach or poolside reading.

15. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

So I won't. Heck, marijuana isn't criminal, surely failing to return library books isn't...

16. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Tell that to this guy.

[​IMG]

17. TRPDiesel

TRPDiesel MassCops Member

I have read all his books. They have a similar story lines but they are entertaining.
    Hopping onto amazon now and grabbing a copy of Signal Zero provided it is not 178 Bucks...

18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Beat me to it!

19. Cyrix142

Cyrix142 MassCops Member

Anyone read Verbal Judo by George Thompson? Any good?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Verbal-Judo-Gentle-Art-Persuasion/dp/0060577657/ref=pd_ys_qtk_general_recs_1?pf_rd_p=1286318242&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04GZ7G0KDPT38164MPAA]Amazon.com: Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion (9780060577650): George Thompson: Books[/ame]

20. 5-0

5-0 Guest

Please tell me you were kidding.... Lmao! We all know what that is. I also know Tongue-Fu. Just kidding, I don't know Karate, but I know Ka Ray Ze!

21. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Read it...awesome, and never gave it back to one of my friends. Now I don't know where it is!!

22. OCKS

OCKS Guest

"the only thing worth dying for" by Eric Blem The first green berets in southern afganistan fighting with Kerzai.

23. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Going against my cardinal rule, I just lent my copy to my other sister-in-law, a Harvard-educated moonbat who lives in a McMansion in Sudbury.....I can't wait to hear her take on it.

24. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The author's website for anyone who's interested;

krimedr - Home

25. Kilvinsky

At my job, we had a class in verbal judo. I left the room convinced it will work.

Not in real life though, that's the part that sucks.:unsure:

For what it's worth, every situation call for a different approach and tactic. To think you can 'talk' EVERY situation into the record books is NUTS.

But talking hurts less physically....well, until the bad guy gets sick of listening to you and hits you with something. THAT FUCKING HURTS!