Ticket for 'Estimated' Speed | MassCops

Ticket for 'Estimated' Speed

Discussion in 'Tickets & Citations' started by Joe from Jersey, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Joe from Jersey

Joe from Jersey New Member

My daughter was driving home from college in her 2012 Ford Fiesta on Route 91 when she was stopped for speeding. The officer cited her for going 87MPH. I don't know if this is 4 cylinder with a manual trans can even go that fast (at least not without shaking itself apart). This was the first time she was ever stopped, so she was a bit flustered and said nothing about her speed at the stop.

She showed me the ticket, which revealed the speed was only estimated. No radar. And, the officer was not following my daughter; he pulled out from the side of the highway. So, he could not have been pacing her.

She and I don't believe that she could have been traveling anywhere close to 87. I am not saying she was under the limit (55) but she assures me that the typically doesn't go over 70 (which is probably the comfortable max speed for her vehicle).

I know police are trained to make visual estimates. But, how accurate are they? Is this something worth contesting in court?

2. Oakum yokum

Oakum yokum MassCops Member

Everything should be contested. Cops can't do anything write, probabely just filling quota.

3. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

Was the Trooper wearing his or her hat?
    If not appeal it asap and make sure she tells the court of this important fact. It should make an impact.

4. Oakum yokum

And if was a trooper, request his payroll records.

5. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

What color was the car? And what day of the week was it? I may be able to help you if I have that information

6. Oakum yokum

A fast red, blue or black,. I bet.
    Standard shift cars always look as though they're going faster.

7. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Contest it. State Police graduate a new class soon, and chances are you may get a new Trooper in court who will have NO clue how to defend the citation.

Definitely no chance your daughter was going that fast and lied

ShmitDiesel likes this.
  8. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

I’m sure that car can and has done 87... She’s learning a good life lesson: speeding equals citation.

Yes. They are trained to estimate, and it’s lawful. She’s an adult. Tell her to figure out how to handle it. Stay out of her biz. You aren’t doing her any favors. She demonstrated that she’s not willing to be truthful about the ticket.

J2H likes this.