Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am a graduate student interested in studying decision making processes in stressful situations. I am specifically interested in police officer reactions to threatening situations. There are theories ("threat rigidity response") that state that individuals restrict the amount of information they intake and lose thought flexibility in times of threat. I am curious about the extent that this is experienced with officers and other workers in high risk professions.
how do police officers combat this response and continue to think flexibly, and process information when placed in threatening situations. is it part of the trainning? does it come with experience?
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I been in the field for approximately 3 yrs and I'm sure some of the more vetern officers have different outlooks on threat responses.In my opin I don't think threat response can be taught in an academy. Yes the acad teaches you mental discipline.It can also teach what to do in those types of situations, but I think natural instinct and common sense is a factor. When your adrenaline is flowing and tunnel vision kicks in I belive most police officers are in this feild because they like the challenge of these types of situations. Using your head is what makes this job the best. We have the ability to think rationally in stressful situations and I belive that this is a powerful tool. :2c:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.