Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WATAUGA, Texas Apr 13, 2005 — A 911 dispatcher was reprimanded for responding to a mother's plea for help with an unruly child by saying: "OK. Do you want us to come over to shoot her?"

"I admit what I did. It was stupid, it was inexcusable and I'm sorry," said dispatcher Mike Forbess.

The woman, identified only as Lori in Wednesday's Fort Worth Star-Telegram, said she recently phoned authorities after coming home to find her daughters fighting. She told the dispatcher that her 12-year-old had kicked a hole in the door.

After Forbess' comment, the woman fell silent for about five seconds.

"Are you there?" Forbess asked.

"Excuse me?" the woman asked.

Forbess, a dispatcher for five years at the Watauga Department of Public Safety, told her he was joking and apologized. But the woman was offended, and Forbess immediately told his supervisor what happened.

"This type of response cannot be tolerated, and this letter shall serve as notice that any future unprofessional responses while answering the 911 line will be cause for termination," Police Chief David Van Laar wrote to Forbess.

Watauga is a Fort Worth suburb of about 22,100 residents.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He should have gotten a letter in his file, suspension and retraining in my opinion.

Same with the Trooper and FF.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I know a dispatcher or two like that guy. :lol:

While it was not professional, it is the truth. Parents call for this crap all the time -- my thought, while I don't condone child abuse, "give that kid a beating!". I think alot of parents have lost touch with classic discipline which always steered me straight when I F'ed up.

Parents always say "He/She won't listen to me when I ask them to stop". Well, do what my mother did, give them a good spankin' or a smack when they don't listen. Next time they'll listen.

Instead, these chickenshit parents want us to come over and be the big mean cop... real nice... as they grow up afraid of the police... Kids shouldn't be afraid of the Police, they should be afraid of F'ing up (breaking laws).

just my :2c:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
RPD931";p="62717 said:
I know a dispatcher or two like that guy. :lol:

While it was not professional, it is the truth. Parents call for this crap all the time -- my thought, while I don't condone child abuse, "give that kid a beating!". I think alot of parents have lost touch with classic discipline which always steered me straight when I F'ed up.

Parents always say "He/She won't listen to me when I ask them to stop". Well, do what my mother did, give them a good spankin' or a smack when they don't listen. Next time they'll listen.

Instead, these chickenshit parents want us to come over and be the big mean cop... real nice... as they grow up afraid of the police... Kids shouldn't be afraid of the Police, they should be afraid of F'ing up (breaking laws).

just my :2c:
I agree 100%. 1/2 the kids I'm teaching right now don't know right from wrong because no one at home will teach it. All they do is yell at their kids then send them to school where WE have to deal with them. Detentions, suspentions...none of that work with these kids...I've had my bad ones doing pushups lately. They've since started to calm down a tad bit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know there are kids with bipolar.

Did this kid have it?

Did the Dispatcher ask that? No

The Dispatcher just shot his mouth off. Now I am one that will laugh make comments and such AFTER I hang up but not during a call and not to a caller.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was watching CNN this morning and they had him talking from his home. I don't know who the host is, but they gave him and his wife a trip to Florida, because he's a "good guy" and he "deserves a break".

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was in reply to the other two comments. I would not expect the dispatcher to ask. But we the dispatcher and officers do not know the entire story until someone is on scene so to assume it is jsuta a parent wanting us to do the parenting is wrong. THere could be several reasons why the kid is acting that way. we should not assume it is just a kid being a brat and a parent wanting us to do their job.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Ahh bullshit... 99.99% of the time that's exactly what it is, useless parents that want the cops to be the heavy and do their job for them... If it is a medical reason, how about hopping in your own car and taking them to their doc to adjust their meds instead of 911....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deuce,

Ever deal with someone with bipolar or under drugs that make them feel invinisble? I have kids with bipolar feel no pain and are in a rage when it hits them. it takes more then mom to deal with them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not defending the Dispatcher or kid trying to clarify my point about that it could be an out of control for many reasons and for someone to assume it is just a kid being a brat or an A--hole is wrong. I can ask every question in the book and still not have all the info.

Did not assume ,I was making an example he could also be on drugs or something or yes even nothing.

The Dispatcher was wrong yes but the comments that the kids is being a s--t or what ever or saying that it is not our job is wrong that is all I was trying to say.

There could also be a CHINS. The fact is we do not know all the facts so we should not think the kid is just being a S--t.

If it was a chicken parent then yes we should not be responding but until an officer gets on scene do we realy know.

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
Let's just say that the kid is bipolar, who better to handle the child then the person who lives with the child 24/7. The officer or EMS doesn't know the child as well as the parents.

If it is a child on drugs or even just out of control then you run into other liabilities. Too much force and the parents will see you in court. Not enough force and the parent is calling because you did nothing to solve the problem.

It's a no win situation. I've been called to a home for trouble kids. Near riot conditions. The adult staff could NOT control the kids so they called the cops. So we had to control them. In this situation the people who are being paid to raise these kids could not deal with a problem they were trained to do. Yet an officers who have next to no training are called?
I don't remember any MPTC course in dealing with spastic children. MPTC teaches you in DT to "meet aggressive behavior with equal force". High on drug=arrest (or PC depending on your dept.). Riot in progress=call NEMLEC.
Kid acting up=CHIN.

So like I say NO WIN SITUATION.

The dispatcher was out of line, we all can agree on that, but "monday morning quaterbacking it"is when we can all laugh,because it is not us!

If we can't laugh at someone elses stupidity, or even our own, what can we laugh at. He said what we all want to say sometimes, but we restrain ourselves from saying. Everyone know you don't shoot 6yr olds. He ment it as a joke, most who hear the comment took it as a joke.

But hey what do I know :shock:

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
MCOA41";p="62875 said:
Deuce,

Ever deal with someone with bipolar or under drugs that make them feel invinisble? I have kids with bipolar feel no pain and are in a rage when it hits them. it takes more then mom to deal with them.
Dude every friggin' day....

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The dispatcher only verbalized what most of us, psalm-singers, hand-wringers, bleeding-hearts, mollycoddlers, psychologists and other bolsheviks excepted, were thinking!

As to possible medical reasons for the childs actions, I believe that "mommy" would have said as much, something to the affect of "...my 13 yo is out of control...she's (insert the politically correct childhood psychological affliction of your choice) and is off her meds..." Then the dispatcher knows to send the ambulance...which where I work also includes a police response.

In any event we do not have all the info: how many of you work the desk and that same address/person/number is a "frequent flyer" in your town for a reason like "out-of-control-kid", which does not involve a medical condition?

Too, I think that if the "media" could have found any mitigating circumstances to excuse the childs behavior, it would have been all over the news and the dispatcher would be "the bastard".

·
MassCops Member
10 Posts
As a former dispatcher and now a present police officer, I know we have all done things we regreted afertwards. We would not want some of the things we did to hit the papers and we are glad when they don't. So, for everyone to commit on what this dispatcher did is wrong give him credit he stood up and said i screwed up and is taking responsiblity for his actions. He knows what he did was wrong so let us not line up and kick him while he is down but let's educate him on what we deal with when we get to these calls.

·
1,334 Posts
You really have to love getting the call... "Respond to 1 Main St for an out of control youth... "How old is he/she?"... "Seven". Absent any psychological condition that violence is an effect, its probably time to throw in the towel if one or two adult parents can't control a first grader and the kid rules the house. Little Johnny doesn't like what they say and throws a fit... how about a time out or good ole fashion grounding... nope take the easy way out...call the police to do it and shirk responsibility. I am sure it is not the first call like that the dispatcher has recieved, I know I received a few when I was dispatching and would at the minimum wonder what went wrong where a 45 pound kid runs the show over parents. Like it was stated before, absolutely a no win situation for the PD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.