This just in!... | MassCops

This just in!...

Discussion in 'Court Procedure' started by RodneyFarva, Feb 21, 2019.

1. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Does anyone know if there are laws on the books that requires a person to obtain a state, local or federal license or "Press Pass" to act as a member of the media?

press-pass.jpg

02136colonel likes this.
  2. MPD703

MPD703 Subscribing Member

I think this is a bit fact specific. I am not aware of any laws. Anyone with a cellphone camera can be a member of the media provided that they are gathering the information with the intent to provide it to the public in some way. So some concerned citizen with a YouTube channel could be considered a member of the media. This of course doesn't give them any special rights.
    This is different form "credentialed media" which would be someone approved for access to a location to report the news, think the White House press pool.

Goose, RodneyFarva and pahapoika like this.
  3. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

No you don’t need anything, anyone can be the press. I remember this was asked and answered by mptc attorney about a year ago. Now to get access to say the White House, there is a process they can go through for access. But the short answer is nothing is needed anyone can be the press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02136colonel and RodneyFarva like this.
  4. RodneyFarva

In the state where you need a license to cut hair I figured you would need some sort of credentials for the media.

Oh well, Thanks guys!

j809 likes this.
  5. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

1st Amendment. Everyone is a member of the media.

:rolleyes:

mpd61, j809 and RodneyFarva like this.
  6. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

There'd be very few people left in the msm if they had some sort of standard for media members.

DNorth, RodneyFarva and Poppy206 like this.
  7. RodneyFarva

And that's what provoked my question there has been a lot of activity lately of youtubers going around to various government run organizations to do "First amendment audits" claiming to be with the press.

CCCSD likes this.
  8. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Springfield PD encrypted their main dispatch channel a few years ago and the local media complained that they could not get info so the PD gave the major media outlets "receive only" unlocked radios to monitor the channel. Springfield PD was instantly in a jam because everyone with a pulse claimed to be representing a media outlet and wanted to be issued a radio.

pahapoika, CCCSD and RodneyFarva like this.
  9. RodneyFarva

That's bullshit the department should have stood its ground and told them to go online and listen to it streaming (sometimes it has a delay 3 to 5 minutes) or wait for a press release.

pahapoika and CCCSD like this.
  10. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

I became an Ordained Minister via the web. I have Religious ID and can go anywhere now...:D

pahapoika likes this.
  11. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Well this is interesting. We neighbor Spfld and we use to have the scan option until it was changed and commissioner Barbri wouldn’t give us that option. Oh nvm he was fired yesterday. Commissioner Clapprood is well respected maybe she’ll hook us up.

12. RodneyFarva

"In the name of the father, son and the 8 hour detail...amen"

JR90, pahapoika, USM C-2 and 2 others like this.
  13. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Just get a MOU/IGA/AEIOU set up between your agencies and have your radio techs work together to get the encryption key installed in your radios if they support them. Boom, problem solved, I'd make a great administrator somewhere.

pahapoika, kdk240, CCCSD and 2 others like this.
  14. RodneyFarva

just as easy as...

Goose likes this.
  15. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Springfield PD will come to any local PD and program their channel into that PD's radios in a "receive only" mode. The huge issue is that they will then lock the radio programming with their password so that no one can see what the encryption code is for their channel. This means that the PD will have no maintenance access at all to any radio that is locked which is obviously a problem. What some PDs have done is limit the Springfield PD channel to their dispatch consoles. What you can do is buy a separate radio that is not connected to the main radio dispatch console system and have it wired in to the system separately and have a "resource" added to the dispatch stations. This way Springfield PD can lock that one radio and the PD will still have full maintenance and programming access to the rest of the system.

Goose likes this.
  16. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Apparently Springfield is taking a move from the 1970's playbook on interoperability. If the accept homeland security or Fema funds and they are audited by DHS/Fema good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

17. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Well, the "media" doesn't act like any reputable news source, so.... :rolleyes:

RodneyFarva, HistoryHound and Tuna like this.
  18. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

2nd Amendment. Everyone is a member of the militia...........except liberal democrats apparently, even Seth Moulton. Chesty is probably NOT overly proud of this guy:

On June 15, 2016, Moulton appeared on the cover of the New York Daily News with the statement "No Civilian Should Own This Gun" in reference to semi-automatic assault weapons. The cover pictures Moulton during a deployment to Iraq, carrying an issued M4 carbine.The particular gun in the picture has never been legal for civilians to own due to the "Hughes Amendment" in 1986.
    Moulton penned an opinion piece promoting gun control, including the statement: "There's simply no reason for a civilian to own a military-style assault weapon. It's no different than why we outlaw civilian ownership of rockets and landmines.

Goose, CCCSD and Sooty like this.
  19. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

...I have rockets...

mpd61, pahapoika, Goose and 2 others like this.
  20. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Red rockets?

mpd61, CCCSD and RodneyFarva like this.
  21. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

With glare...