Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Get off my lawn!
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are laws on the books that requires a person to obtain a state, local or federal license or "Press Pass" to act as a member of the media?

Hat Cap Fedora Costume hat Headgear

·
Subscribing Member
102 Posts
I think this is a bit fact specific. I am not aware of any laws. Anyone with a cellphone camera can be a member of the media provided that they are gathering the information with the intent to provide it to the public in some way. So some concerned citizen with a YouTube channel could be considered a member of the media. This of course doesn't give them any special rights.
This is different form "credentialed media" which would be someone approved for access to a location to report the news, think the White House press pool.

·
Subscribing Member
4,374 Posts
Does anyone know if there are laws on the books that requires a person to obtain a state, local or federal license or "Press Pass" to act as a member of the media?

View attachment 9421
No you don't need anything, anyone can be the press. I remember this was asked and answered by mptc attorney about a year ago. Now to get access to say the White House, there is a process they can go through for access. But the short answer is nothing is needed anyone can be the press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Get off my lawn!
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the state where you need a license to cut hair I figured you would need some sort of credentials for the media.

Oh well, Thanks guys!

·
Get off my lawn!
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st Amendment. Everyone is a member of the media.

:rolleyes:
And that's what provoked my question there has been a lot of activity lately of youtubers going around to various government run organizations to do "First amendment audits" claiming to be with the press.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Springfield PD encrypted their main dispatch channel a few years ago and the local media complained that they could not get info so the PD gave the major media outlets "receive only" unlocked radios to monitor the channel. Springfield PD was instantly in a jam because everyone with a pulse claimed to be representing a media outlet and wanted to be issued a radio.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Springfield PD encrypted their main dispatch channel a few years ago and the local media complained that they could not get info so the PD gave the major media outlets "receive only" unlocked radios to monitor the channel. Springfield PD was instantly in a jam because everyone with a pulse claimed to be representing a media outlet and wanted to be issued a radio.
That's bullshit the department should have stood its ground and told them to go online and listen to it streaming (sometimes it has a delay 3 to 5 minutes) or wait for a press release.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well this is interesting. We neighbor Spfld and we use to have the scan option until it was changed and commissioner Barbri wouldn't give us that option. Oh nvm he was fired yesterday. Commissioner Clapprood is well respected maybe she'll hook us up.

·
Super Moderator
7,167 Posts
Well this is interesting. We neighbor Spfld and we use to have the scan option until it was changed and commissioner Barbri wouldn't give us that option. Oh nvm he was fired yesterday. Commissioner Clapprood is well respected maybe she'll hook us up.
Just get a MOU/IGA/AEIOU set up between your agencies and have your radio techs work together to get the encryption key installed in your radios if they support them. Boom, problem solved, I'd make a great administrator somewhere.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just get a MOU/IGA/AEIOU set up between your agencies and have your radio techs work together to get the encryption key installed in your radios if they support them. Boom, problem solved, I'd make a great administrator somewhere.
just as easy as...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Springfield PD will come to any local PD and program their channel into that PD's radios in a "receive only" mode. The huge issue is that they will then lock the radio programming with their password so that no one can see what the encryption code is for their channel. This means that the PD will have no maintenance access at all to any radio that is locked which is obviously a problem. What some PDs have done is limit the Springfield PD channel to their dispatch consoles. What you can do is buy a separate radio that is not connected to the main radio dispatch console system and have it wired in to the system separately and have a "resource" added to the dispatch stations. This way Springfield PD can lock that one radio and the PD will still have full maintenance and programming access to the rest of the system.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Apparently Springfield is taking a move from the 1970's playbook on interoperability. If the accept homeland security or Fema funds and they are audited by DHS/Fema good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,750 Posts
1st Amendment. Everyone is a member of the media.
2nd Amendment. Everyone is a member of the militia...........except liberal democrats apparently, even Seth Moulton. Chesty is probably NOT overly proud of this guy:

On June 15, 2016, Moulton appeared on the cover of the New York Daily News with the statement "No Civilian Should Own This Gun" in reference to semi-automatic assault weapons. The cover pictures Moulton during a deployment to Iraq, carrying an issued M4 carbine.The particular gun in the picture has never been legal for civilians to own due to the "Hughes Amendment" in 1986.
Moulton penned an opinion piece promoting gun control, including the statement: "There's simply no reason for a civilian to own a military-style assault weapon. It's no different than why we outlaw civilian ownership of rockets and landmines.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts