Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published: July 15, 2008 03:38 am ShareThisPrintThis
This cruiser will catch your eye Groveland's new police car features special lights, is good on gas
By Sara Codair
Correspondent

GROVELAND - A slick black-and-white paint job, blue flashing lights and 18 miles per gallon are features that led acting police Chief Robert Kirmelewicz to buy a 2008 Dodge Charger for about $23,000 as an addition to the police cruiser fleet.
"As a new chief, I wanted to do something to boost morale," said Kirmelewicz as a reason for buying a new cruiser.
With gasoline close to or topping $4 a gallon, he thought the Charger would be a more economical choice than the traditional Ford Crown Victoria.
"It has a feature that allows it to drop from eight to four cylinders when idling or cruising around town, resulting in better fuel efficiency," Kirmelewicz said. "The Charger gets 18 city miles per gallon where the Crown Victoria gets 12 miles per gallon."
Kirmelewicz said he had looked at more fuel-efficient 6-cylinder cruisers, but found they did not hold up well under the rigorous driving conditions a patrol vehicle is subjected to.
In addition to better fuel economy, Kirmelewicz said the Charger is outfitted with special flashing lights. It cost $5,000 to outfit the car with them, but they will last five to six times longer than regular lights.
He said the Charger also will be more visible than a Crown Victoria. It is painted black and white instead of solid white with blue lettering.
"It doesn't blend in like the solid-colored cruisers," Kirmelewicz said. "More visibility means less crime."
He said another reason for the black-and-white paint job is that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security eventually wants all police departments within the United States to have their fleets uniformly black and white.
Over the next couple of months, Kirmelewicz said he plans to have all Groveland's other cruisers painted black and white as well.
"This conversion will be of no cost to the town," said Kirmelewicz, explaining grant money will be used for the work.
He thanked Tony Bettencourt, the mechanic who set up the lights and sirens on the car, and his staff.

Acting Groveland police Chief Robert Kirmelewicz stands next to the new Dodge Charger the Groveland Police Department purchased.
Sara Codair / Staff photo

G

·
The Chargers do look sharp. I didn't know DHS dictates color schemes to Pd's. The feds do control the grant money, though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My vote still goes to Webster, MA PD for the sharpest looking cars - Black'n'whites, mostly black. I think Hull, MA may be similar...?

MSP, of course, are very sharp too. As my brother's Jersey girlfriend said "MA state police cruisers are scary... so dark and intimidating"

·
Subscribing Member
3,423 Posts
Is that the chief in the picture? It looks like he's not wearing a vest and a full duty belt, like some chiefs I've seen there in Mass. Just wondering...

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
Acting Groveland police Chief Robert Kirmelewicz stands next to the new Dodge Charger the Groveland Police Department purchased.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Is that the chief in the picture? It looks like he's not wearing a vest and a full duty belt, like some chiefs I've seen there in Mass. Just wondering...
[FONT=&quot]Why wear a vest and duty belt when you're sitting inside an office all day? I don't know of any administrators who do that; most store a tac vest and duty belt in their office closet for the atypical occasion that they go out and lend a hand to patrol. [/FONT]

·
Subscribing Member
3,423 Posts
[FONT=&quot]Why wear a vest and duty belt when you're sitting inside an office all day? I don't know of any administrators who do that; most store a tac vest and duty belt in their office closet for the atypical occasion that they go out and lend a hand to patrol. [/FONT]
I guess it would depend on what the picture was for. Thought maybe if the picture was gonna be used for something department related, he might wear at least his Sam Browne. Of course if it's just for an internal thing then maybe not.

That's why I said I was just wondering....

·
Registered
939 Posts
I think the end of the Crown Vic is coming as the Charger is surpassing it at a great pace.
I hope the hell not because I barely fit in crown vics, and even though I haven't sat in a charger yet I keep getting told the chances of me fitting are real slim.

Belchertown pd just got a charger their paint scheme is kinda similar but it's sharp looking.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
I think the end of the Crown Vic will come only if Ford discontinues it. I don't see it going anywhere because other than power, the Charger has nothing on the Crown Vic, IMO.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Thought maybe if the picture was gonna be used for something department related, he might wear at least his Sam Browne. Of course if it's just for an internal thing then maybe not.

That's why I said I was just wondering....
I concur...nevertheless; I honestly don't recollect the last time I saw someone over the rank of Lieutenant sporting a full duty belt out here.

other than power, the Charger has nothing on the Crown Vic, IMO.
:dito:
As Delta alluded to in another thread, I'll take the comfort, roominess, reliability, and visibility of the CV over the Hemi any day. Also, the mounting options suck for MDT's; they end up obstructing the AC and stereo controls.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
In addition to better fuel economy, Kirmelewicz said the Charger is outfitted with special flashing lights. It cost $5,000 to outfit the car with them, but they will last five to six times longer than regular lights.
They're called LED's, genius, and its not like the Chief invented them. Look at any police cruiser outfitted in the last couple of years.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Also, if you missed it, blue flashing lights and a black and white paint job are available exclusively for the Dodge Charger...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts