Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I have been thinking about getting a dog for a while and I've been doing some research in the hopes of maybe getting a puppy for Christmas. Based on my research to this point I was thinking of a Beagle.

I was wondering if anyone on here has one and could answer some questions.

1) How much energy does the dog have inside?

2) Noise Levels?- Don't want a dog that yips and yaps. But do want something that could alert her to a potential problem while I'm working nights.

3) Potential Health Problems?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lofu

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
You are probably looking at a smaller dog, but you can never go wrong with a German Shepard. I've had my girl for 13 yrs. She is the most loyal, gentle loving dog. She only barks when she needs to(when someone is in her territory that shouldn't be). German Shepards are very smart and trainable. Like most dogs, they have alot of energy. Just like Mike said one day she woke up old and slow. But still very healthy. Shepards too, have hip displasia problems, but i've been lucky. Good luck on your dog search. I hope you find a dog that will make you and your wife happy for years to come.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. We are currently in the upstairs unit of a two-family so I am looking for a smaller to medium sized dog. Would love a shepherd, lab, or mastiff it just wouldn't be practical for either us or the dog at this point.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
A pet is the best gift you can get someone. as long as you guys are ready to handle the responsibility its the gift that keeps on giving, better than a sweater..

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
mikemac64 said:
...they are very playful and somewhat mischievous and are fantastic with children. They are very affectionate.
My mother got one for companionship for when my old man was at sea.
I don't remember a lot about Ginger, but that statement about affection and good with children I believe to be pretty accurate.
And my folks used to joke about how Ginger would lead the crook to the silver, so I presume the cheeseburger theory is relatively accurate as well.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a Yorkshire, Scottie and a West highland Terrier. They are all great dogs and very good with my son. They also all keep each other busy playing all day. They can be little trouble makers sometimes by getting into the trash.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have two chocolate Labradoodles. The breed was created to be service dogs that are hypoallergenic. Very smart, trainable, intuitive. Though they are larger than I thought they would get(100 lbs and 70 lbs). They do breed mini versions that run around 35-45 lbs. They are lab like in thier exercise needs. Once you get past the name they are incredible dogs and I wouldn't own anything else.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have two chocolate Labradoodles. The breed was created to be service dogs that are hypoallergenic. Very smart, trainable, intuitive. Though they are larger than I thought they would get(100 lbs and 70 lbs). They do breed mini versions that run around 35-45 lbs. They are lab like in thier exercise needs. Once you get past the name they are incredible dogs and I wouldn't own anything else.
The mini version would be cool.

·
Registered
778 Posts
They really jacked the price up on the mini's Mass. I didn't reall get it....less dog should equal less money. I guess the cost comes from figuring out how a mini poodle can get busy with a lab.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Go to the shelter. The right dog has a way of pointing himself out to you. If you're set on a specific breed, try a rescue group.
And may I suggest, don't bring a new pet into the house at the holidays, let them adjust when things are less hectic.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Points well taken. My concern about the shelter or rescue group would be training and pasy history. I was hoping to get a puppy from a breeder so that I knew about their family lines, medical history, and could start fresh with the training.

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
Points well taken. My concern about the shelter or rescue group would be training and pasy history. I was hoping to get a puppy from a breeder so that I knew about their family lines, medical history, and could start fresh with the training.
Ive had two dogs from shelters, the first was a beagle/retriever mix and the second was a black lab...had the beagle 14 years and the lab 2( had to give her up because she needed so much attention).
Just stay away from the Lab mix( thats code for pit bull) .

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Most good rescue groups or private shelters can give you good imput
about the dog and will not let you adopt unless you and the dog are compatable.
The process is not usualy walk in the door and say I want that one
and you walk out with it.
It may take two or three visits and they will check you out.
I do rescue and shelter work but not for dogs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have two beagles and think they are great. As someone else mentioned they are fun, smart, and affectionate. As for the other points you mention, I think it depends on the dog. I have one that is a couch potato and one that is non-stop energy. Neither really barks unless company shows up, and then they calm down a minute later.

As for being a watchdog, if you give them a treat they will probably help you load my shit into your truck.

If you're thinking beagles, check this site out:
http://www.bonesbeagles.org/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts