There’s a new sheriff in town | MassCops

There’s a new sheriff in town

Discussion in 'Sheriffs' started by kwflatbed, Feb 23, 2011.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Photo by Patrick Whittemore
    ‘EVERYTHING IS ON THE TABLE’: Middlesex County
    Sheriff Peter J. Koutoujian talks to a Herald reporter
    yesterday at the Middlesex House of Correction

There’s a new sheriff in town

By Jessica Fargen

The new sheriff of Middlesex County is unveiling sweeping
    reforms meant to clean up the scandal-plagued department,
    vowing to bar jailhouse staffers from giving to his campaign
    and to take politics out...

1. 21 Comments

2. Video
    More On:

2. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Same sh*t, different name...

3. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I got as far as "take politics out....", almost puked on myself from laughing, and did not bother to click on the link.

4. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

We'll See.

5. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Remember the old WHO song;

6. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

So, has he done anything worth wild yet?

7. WaterPistola

WaterPistola Subscribing Member

yeah no one has escaped...that we know of yet.

8. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

USMC your sig is inspiring :p

9. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

So is yours!

10. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Worth wild? I thought it was worth WHILE.

11. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

Yeah, you are right. But we are talking about a Massachusetts Sheriff's Department...isn't everything "wild" in their world? :stomp:

Also, someone who works for the MSO told me that his MSO academy is accepted throughout the country as a Law Enforcement academy, so he can move to Florida or Texas and be a police officer without any further training. I find that hard to believe, since I thought it was a "corrections academy" Any thoughts, or am I stirring the pot? :timebomb:

12. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

Back in the day I was a corrections officer in the sheriffs department and I heard that before but never saw anyone actually do it. And there was alot of guys that wanted out of there real bad! So my guess is total BS.

13. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I believe Florida's equivalency programs specifically excludes corrections officer academies. If you attended a full, say, California, Florida, Texas, etc Sheriff's academy you'd probably be ok as they are FT police academies.

14. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

I was under the belief that everyone employed by them has to go through a 25 week academy or something of that nature? I could and probably am way off, just what I heard though.

15. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

The Middlesex Sheriff's Office Academy is 25 weeks and the other SD's in the state are around 8 to 15 weeks.

16. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Some of the MA sheriff's were incorporating the intermittent police academy into their basic training academy. Much of the corrections academy and the police academy are the same - DT, Firearms etc. As long as all the topics are covered in a MA sheriff's academy; patrol, law, DT's etc, FL will accept a states academy. One must be employed full time as a LEO for at least one year before they would qualify for equivalency program. MA won't accept the MA sheriff's academy in lieu of their police academy, but many states will.

17. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Interesting.

18. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

That's still pretty interesting that other states will accept it. I know like the state of Alaska will accept someone's police academy as long as it was at least 400 hours, and I know that Louisiana will accept academies with at least 320 hours. It's amazing how other states training levels are so low and will accept so many different states academies. Like I do believe that 32 different states will accept Massachusetts SSPO academy of 16 weeks as an exemption to their academy, but then Massachusetts won't accept the SSPO academy for municipal police jobs...I wouldn't be at all surprised if many different states accepted the Middlesex Sheriff's academy. :banghead:

19. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Doesn't make alot of sense as the MPOC's are 20 weeks.

20. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

That's kind of odd. Last few MSO guys I talked to said they did 8 weeks at the old Ditson school on 3A across from Newtown Grill. There is one guy I know that did Boston Academy though. Does MSO have different training for different positions?

21. TopCop24

TopCop24 Working in the land of misfit toys

MSO academy was 24 weeks when I went through in the Summer of 05...I won't deny it, it got me into great shape for the SPA in 06

22. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

So I was in the Westford area the other day and saw a Middlesex Sheriff's deputy conducting a traffic stop, with no Westford cruiser. Is this common practice for the sheriff's office here? Like I've mentioned before, I am new to law enforcement in Massachusetts, so adapting is going to take some time.

I should also add that I was speaking to a dispatcher later in the day from a nearby PD and they heard the chatter on the radio that it was for a speeding violation.

[​IMG]

Such a pretty cruiser...

23. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

Im not with the MSO so I coulnt tell you if its different based on positions. I am just telling you what I read on their web site.
    Training

24. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Basic police training is just that, basic training. I remember when all the MA academys were trying to out do one another by making their academy just a litte longer than the other until they finally reached 25-26 weeks. I still find it interesting how other states will accept MA training, yet the state where the training was actually completed, MA will not. State, County, local and College all have a different law enforcement academy, which all basically teach a similar corriculum, yet neither will accept the other. In reality, one truly learns how to be a cop, not at the academy, but on the streets under the guidance of senior, experienced cops. While we all need the basics before hitting the streets, the issues about competing law enforcement academys are many times based more in egos rather than true training requirements.

25. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

There's alot more to a Police Academy than just training. Academy is 2 things. 1, basic training, anything one could get out of a book. 2, a chance for senior cadre to size up potential Police Officers. One thing Police Academys do is weed out the ones that will eventually fail, cause problems, not have the right makeup for the field. For the most part, the pissing on each other's academys, is due to how much cadre screwed with cadets. The more presure you get without folding the better you deal in the field. There's the competition. Your absolutly correct about Academys stretching out the term but that is management making those decisions, not the guys running the academy.