The Walking Dead (Caution! Spoiler Alert) | Page 2 | MassCops

The Walking Dead (Caution! Spoiler Alert)

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Hush, Nov 1, 2010.

1. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Watched it last week for the first time this season. Pretty much kept up with it last year. Not a bad show.

2. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Wowwww!! Couldn't believe that ending happened... And the new revelation about the walkers.

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Just like last week, I didn't see that ending coming at all!!

Am I interpreting it right that now everyone who dies becomes a walker, even if they're not bitten/infected? I fucking hate that all the action is now coming at night when you can't see everything, but it looked like Shane came back as a walker after he died of the gunshot wound.

4. Pvt. Cowboy

He did come back... Just like Randall did. He died of a broken neck, but still reanimated even though he had no bites or scratches. Looks like once you die, regardless of how, there is no alternative.

Next episode is the season finale. Bet it's gonna be crazy!

Delta784 likes this.
  5. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

Yeah I can't say I saw that part of the storyline coming. Nor, as a huge fan of zombie movies/shows can I say I like that that's the direction the show is choosing to take. It would imply in some way that the disease infects the dead? But why won't it infect the living? I guess we'll wait and see.

Kind of saw the end of this episode coming, after the talk with Laurie and how far off the deep end Shane has gone...I imagine that the little talk he and Laurie had set something off inside his head.

I joked to a friend last night that the walking dead has almost lost sight of zombies these past several episodes but it looks like they're going to make up for it next week. I hope they leave us hanging on for season 3.

6. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

You mean stab wound, didn't Rick stick him in the gut with a Ka-Bar?
    And that's how I'm interpreting it, just like the original Night of the Living Dead, once you die of any cause, you become one of them. In the remake of Dawn of the Dead you needed to be directly infected by bite, they addressed that when two characters shot each other dead. I'm not sure which theory I'm a fan of, but the fact that those zombies could run full bore instead of shambling forward made the movie a little more "urgent".

Delta784 likes this.
  7. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

I never thought of that, maybe the knife had been used on a walker before and maybe the kids open wounds from the handcuffs got infected? Because shouldn't the dead be rising from the grave?

8. Johnny Law

The recently deceased did in the 60's Night of the Living Dead. I'm imagining it depends upon the director or writers, however they wish to interpret it.

Now to geek out, in Resident Evil the T-virus reanimates any dead tissue, not just the recently deceased, so the dead did rise from the grave. Perhaps this virus only needs the dead tissue exposed to the air (vs buried) to reanimate it? Or maybe it's just the show's budget and that would be a large storyline for this TV show. The kid died from a broken neck, from Shane. If one got infected simply from a wound, Shane and Rick pummeled the hell out of each other and were all cut up and did not get infected.

The common thread among all the genres being that the zombie, once infected, has no or little thought process except the basest of all needs. To feed.

9. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

I'll geek it up with zombie talk any time haha.

The T-Virus did do that yea, I remember in RE2 they have that cheesy fight in the cemetery. In 28 Days/Weeks (which are NOT zombies) the virus gets transferred by bacteria from the rage infected people getting into their blood stream. I guess it's possible the knife had old zombie guts uncleaned on the blade and maybe the kid came in contact with some as he lay on the ground?

10. Johnny Law

I say that's plausible. In 28 Days/Weeks, the rage did get passed by fluid transmission. As when that older taxi driver got some blood in his eye from a crow feeding on a dead soldier.

As is human nature, I overanalyze things. I wondered how the survivors on The Walking Dead can dispose of a walker so close up without personal protective gear? Smashing one or stabbing one in the dome is great, but it does leave open the possiblity that fluids could splash into their faces or cuts on their hands.

gm7988 likes this.
  11. Piper

Piper MassCops Member

I'd of thought that the Dr @ the CDC last season would have addressed becoming a walker w/o getting bitten.
    In the book, Shane didn't turn right away. Days after he was buried, the cop went back, dug him up and shot him as he'd become infected while in the grave.
    Shame the season is over next week.

12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Maybe....there was a gunshot, but because it happened at night, you can't fucking see everything. Everything good seems to happen at night now, and it's really starting to piss me off that it's so hard to see what's happening.

13. Johnny Law

LMAO, I think that was an involuntary reaction on Shane's part when Rick stuck him with a knife. Rick handed him his revolver while reaching towards the small of his back (I think for his knife). I can't rewatch it because I deleted EVERYTHING on my DVR by accident this morning after watching it, so I'm just going by memory now.

14. Pvt. Cowboy

He did stab him. I think as he did, Shane fired off a round.

I first thought, zombie excess on the knife? Causing him to reanimate? Now it seems the virus is airborne, like "I am Legend." It doesn't react until dead though...

15. JMody

JMody Special...

My thoughts on it are that the virus has become airborne and they all are infected by it. Somehow, it can not take a hold of the body until your deceased. This was pointed out to me by a friend, the two sheriff's an episode or two ago. They didn't appear to have been bitten either, yet they were clearly walkers...

16. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

I don't know about being airborne, maybe because I just don't like it a plot line. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

17. JMody

JMody Special...

I agree. It's a shitty way to bring the series and personally I hope that it's gonna end up being wrong. I just have a gut feeling that's what's gonna happen....

18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I disagree....that could make for some fascinating plot possibilities.

For example, if you automatically become a walker after you die, what about Herschel? He looks to be in his mid-late 70's; him dying in his sleep isn't out of the question, so do they lock his bedroom door or put a guard on him while he sleeps?

19. JMody

JMody Special...

Good point! I didn't think of that!

20. Johnny Law

I started to chuckle when, after they buried Dale (or maybe they were enroute to bury him) the pickup truck stopped by the gaggle of walkers. Then the group of survivors went all "Office Space" on one of the walkers.

The season finale looks to be shaping up for a classic battle royale, that even nods towards the original "Night of the Living Dead" where survivors holed up in a farmhouse and were assaulted.

gm7988, Piper and JMody like this.
  21. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

22. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Mysterious hooded stranger with the katana....very cool

23. Johnny Law

I noticed that person also had what looked like two armless zombies on chains? Or did I imagine that?

24. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Yes she did. i cheated and looked up who she was based on the comic...pretty cool character/story line.

25. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

My god I can't stand Lorrie. She sucks so much. Carl is also on my last nerve.

Ending was pretty good, didn't leave me hanging on the edge of my seat like I thought it would but it'll be back in the fall. Rick is losing his marbles over there.