The Town | MassCops

The Town

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by jmestano, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

I'm psyched about seeing Ben Affleck's next effort, The Town. It's about bank robbers and cops in Charlestown, and was filmed on location. I drove past while they were shooting last fall.

Affleck's Gone Baby Gone was excellent, so I am interested in seeing how this one turns out.

2. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Mixed feelings about this one. I'm not crazy about Affleck and I thought he butchered Gone Baby Gone. However I read the book, and alot of people I talked to who loved it never read it, so maybe they could appreciate the movie more

I'm not sure if the town is based off a book or anything but I haven't read it. And from the previews it does look pretty good. So I'm hoping that maybe that will let me enjoy it more than GBG.

3. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

Ben Affleck, Jon Hamm hit 'The Town'

Hogan's novel wasn't bad, we'll see if Assfleck makes it stink or float.

4. Piper

Piper MassCops Member

I thought the book was terrific ("Prince of thieves" by Chick Hogan). I know a few cops who served as extras as the FBI HRT in the big heist scene at the end "The Town;" it is supposed to rival the shootout at the end of "Heat."

FYI, Hogan's new book is called "Devils in exile." The plot is something to do with Iraq vets knocking over drug dealers in Boston. Sounds like another movie in there somewhere.

He also did one a few years back about a part-time PD in western Mass that was pretty good too ("The Killing Moon").

5. bok

bok MassCops Member

What turns me off most about this movie, outside of another poor Ben Afleck Boston working class impersonation, is the set up with the following ; " There are 300 bank robberies in Boston alone"...This struck me as excessively high and unrealistic. According to the FBI's bank robbery statistics, California and Texas are the countries leading victims of b. robberies (per population). Mass. let alone Boston are very low as contrasted with the country.... Such typical Hollywood b.s. fictionalization of working class people and neighborhoods. End of rant

6. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

That might be an accurate figure on bank robberies. Remember, the average bank robbery is an unarmed note passing, not a Heat-style takeover robbery. There are very few actual weapons shown, but more than enough OC junkies scribbling demands on a napkin.

7. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Three hundred a year in Boston is an inflated figure. If they had said in Massachusetts, then I would believe it a little more. Not a fan of Gone Baby Gone. The exagerated Boston accents alone, made me gag. You would think that with all of the local talent, Benny could have used some them in at least the lesser speaking roles. I swear that that chick playing the white trash mother was making my eyes itch every time she talked with that "Pahhk the kahhh" bull shit. I wanted to fire a bullet int to my TV every time she openned her mouth.

8. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I hate Affleck, and Damon...and pretty much every hollywood dbag...that aside the movie looks ok...I just cant stand when you have actors actually from Boston and they still lay that stupid acccent on.

9. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

Damon never bothered me. Just stays out of the typical Hollywood BS and still a good actor. He always seems like a guy's guy.

I've never liked Affleck. Always in the spot light, movies are never good, and he doesn't have the chops of Damon.

10. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Is Affleck's douchebag brother going to star in it like his last douchebag film? The only movie he was good in was "Smokin' Aces", when he got smoked by the Tremor Brothers.

11. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EY3aXwBiX8"]YouTube - Family Guy- Ben Afleck[/nomedia]

12. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Only thing he smoked to be in Gone Baby Gone, is his brothers's....

Well, You get the picture. That whole movie sucked.

13. bok

bok MassCops Member

The FBI's bank robbery statistics (unarmed/armed) strongly contradict this movies claim, The Town's first impression is not good...I enjoyed all of Lehane's books especially Gone Baby Gone which brings me to a observation. Anybody else that read the book and viewed the movie upset specifically by the casting of the " Bubba " character role with that wanna be local street rapper Slaine ! Lehane described him as a Polish towering large intimidating person, this guy Slaine was a fat, short, pasty little wanna-be that turned up the Bahstun accent...

14. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Well the upside is, with your new 226 your TV will suffer significantly less damage.:tongue: