Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
1) Obstacle Course: This event simulates the actions necessary to pursue and "takedown" a suspect. The event begins with an obstacle course where the candidate will be faced with climbing under an obstacle, climbing up and down steps, going through an open window, climbing over a wall and negotiating a series of cones arranged in a zigzag pattern. At the end of the course, the candidate will be required to grab hold of a weighted bag attached to a pulley and touch it to the ground. The candidate will then immediately move around the Power Station to the handcuffing simulation where he/she will be required to pull on two hand levers until the cable hits the stop. This completes the event. The time limit is 130.4 seconds.

2) The Trigger Pull Event: This event consists of raising a handgun and squeezing the trigger six (6) times with each hand. The time limit is 7.1 seconds.
3) The Separation Event: This event simulates tasks that require separating one party from an other and controlling individuals, such as in crowd control situations. The candidate will be required to pull a hanging bag backward touching it to the ground across a marked line. Candidates will have to perform two "pulls". The time limit is 14.2 seconds.
4) The Dummy Drag: This event simulates dragging a victim or suspect. Candidates will be required to drag a dummy over a straight course. The time limit is 11 seconds.

·
1,334 Posts
The PAT test is not that bad, just save a little energy in the beginning so you get over the wall in the last lap, which is nothing to get to worked up over. There is a practice session about a week or two before the actual test, just figure out the right pace then.

The Massachusetts Human Resources Division (aka: HRD) website has a link to PAT test information from their main page. It is on the left side of the page under the box that reads "quick links". Has a few informational links, schedule PAT events, etc...

HRD Website

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do campus police departments that use the 22 week academy send their candidates to the PAT?

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Since when do campus cops go to the Boston Police Academy? It says on thier web site that they go the MPTC I imagine MBTA or Weymouth. Here is what you need to know for the PAT eat and drink heavily the night before, cause it doesnt matter its a joke.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Macop";p="54583 said:
Since when do campus cops go to the Boston Police Academy? It says on thier web site that they go the MPTC I imagine MBTA or Weymouth. Here is what you need to know for the PAT eat and drink heavily the night before, cause it doesnt matter its a joke.
I work at UMass and we are sending two new hires to the MBTA academy... isn't the Boston Police Academy an MPTC academy anyway? Most MPTC academies are no longer accepting campus police departments.

As for the PAT, yes it is fairly easy if you are in shape and ready for it, but I wouldn't consider it a joke. I mean after all, your future career depends on you passing this test to get into the academy. Get sleep the night before, eat a light breakfast or lunch and as frapmpd24 suggested, pace your self and save some energy for the end.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just took the PAT this month. Both me and the other guy I was with agreed that it was a a little different than what we expected (As in we expected a complete joke). Do not take it as a joke. You are running around a crumby gym where you can not go fast or you will slip. If you are in good shape you should not have a problem with it but you will see some people struggle. The bag pull can be difficult for some as you have to get it across the line and if you come short you have to do it again. The dummy drag and trigger pull are simple but the obstacle course and the bag pull could fail the out of shape.

·
At your six
209 Posts
Like I said in a previous post, the PAT is a JOKE. If you had trouble with the PAT maybe you should consider mall security work. Slipping on the floor and pulling a punching bag down accross a line is much easier than real life where you will be chasing scumbags over fences, on icy surfaces, through water, and running much further than the equivalent of five laps around a gym. We should go back to the old cooper standard tests and toughen up some of these new recruits.

·
Registered
316 Posts
BlackOps";p="54623 said:
Like I said in a previous post, the PAT is a JOKE. If you had trouble with the PAT maybe you should consider mall security work. Slipping on the floor and pulling a punching bag down accross a line is much easier than real life where you will be chasing scumbags over fences, on icy surfaces, through water, and running much further than the equivalent of five laps around a gym. We should go back to the old cooper standard tests and toughen up some of these new recruits.
WOW. I, along with many others (male and female) had a bit of trouble with the PAT, i.e. old wooden dirty floor and slippery shoes. I think that many would disagree with you that if we had trouble we should consider mall security. I think many would also agree that there is a bit of stress with the PAT because you are being timed in everything and future employment depends on passing or not. It is not a true potrait of a persuing a suspect and I think if it were, our adrenaline would carry us through.

Lighten up Mr. Macho

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
WOW Blackops, You're my hero!
Wanna F*** my girlfriend??

I run, and I had a tough time taking those turns without slipping an breaking my hip. Theres a thick coating of dust on the gym floor that makes those turns pretty tough if you dont have alot of weight to hold you in position.

·
At your six
209 Posts
Edited..... screw it, good luck with the PAT boys and girls. Didn't mean to offend anyone here, just expressing my PERSONAL opinion like all of you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I personally liked taking the PAT in Hudson. :roll:
I loved maneuvering around the saw dust/sand covered corners, it added an element of surprise around every corner. I especially enjoyed the puddle of water collecting on the floor that turned the test into a slip and slide. In my case (and a few others), I slipped and slid into the window portion of the test. According to the chucklehead running the show there, the puddle wasn't considered a hazard. No worries, I passed.

Also, what girlcop said is totally correct.... your career in LE is riding on this test. I have seen both males and females gagging and getting the case of the nerves waiting to take it.

If you are not sure if you are in shape enough to pass it, consider running up and down a football field 3 and a half times as fast as you can - thats the actual distance of the PAT. 350 yds.

·
1,334 Posts
ShakeEmDOwn016";p="54685 said:
I personally liked taking the PAT in Hudson. :roll:
I loved maneuvering around the saw dust/sand covered corners, it added an element of surprise around every corner. I especially enjoyed the puddle of water collecting on the floor that turned the test into a slip and slide. In my case (and a few others), I slipped and slid into the window portion of the test. According to the chucklehead running the show there, the puddle wasn't considered a hazard. No worries, I passed.

Also, what girlcop said is totally correct.... your career in LE is riding on this test. I have seen both males and females gagging and getting the case of the nerves waiting to take it.

If you are not sure if you are in shape enough to pass it, consider running up and down a football field 3 and a half times as fast as you can - thats the actual distance of the PAT. 350 yds.
I took the PAT back in December of 2002 and had the luxury of going to the armory in Woburn. Someone forgot to fill the oil tank and ran it dry; the temp in the building was about 10 degrees or colder :roll:, plus the usual dust covered floor. They take care of those places so well. When we finished taking it, the 30 degree temp outside felt like a nice spring day. It actually kind of comical.

I took the fire PAT in 1999 at Hudson, yeah that was fun...August afternoon, 95 degrees and humid out, and a building where they had not opened the windows to vent the place since the civil war (or earlier). I was leaving their thinking the thought of a smoke filled building was better than the stale/musty air that made you sick as soon as you walked in the building. :uc:

The PAT test should be given in a better location to make things more realistic. Most foot pursiuts I have had were outside, over fences, along the road, through parking lots, the woods or power lines following a dog that runs a fast speed (which you best keep up to!), etc... I think the design of the test is off, in terms of its practicality compared to a real foot chase, could be improved. Just my two cents.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Girlcop the Boston Police academy isnt MPTC, they are too good for the rest of us minions. Which Umass are you at, are there still openings?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.