The Officer Sean A. Collier Self Sponsor Scholarship | MassCops

The Officer Sean A. Collier Self Sponsor Scholarship

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by pahapoika, Jan 6, 2014.

1. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

The Officer Sean A. Collier Self Sponsor Scholarship
    On April 18, 2013 the MIT Police lost a brother and a friend, Officer Sean Collier. In order to honor him in the best way they know how they set up a scholarship fund that would send one self-sponsored recruit (MIT Self Sponsor) through the Lowell Police Academy (LPA) annually (the Scholarship) as a student officer. Officer Collier self-sponsored himself through the Transit Academy in order to start his law enforcement career. This recruit will have the honor of wearing MIT’s Patch in Officer Sean Collier’s memory. June 2, 2014 will mark the inauguration of this great Scholarship.
    Scholarship Requirements: Applicant must:
    Be a resident of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Have received a Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in Criminal Justice from a college or university
    Demonstrate community involvement,
    Demonstrate a commitment to professional development,
    Be able to meet all of the LPA’s entrance requirements:
    Be at least 21 years of age
    Possess a valid Massachusetts driver’s license
    Have no felony convictions
    Pass a medical exam based on HRD requirements
    Pass the Physical Abilities Test
    Pass a background investigation

Application Process: Applicant must submit a package consisting of:
    A resume
    A letter of intent, describing how the applicant has served, and will serve, as an exemplary role model that would distinguish him/her from other applicants and honor the memory of Officer Collier
    Two (2) letters of reference

Process for 2014 Officer Sean A. Collier Self Sponsor Scholarship: Applications due by January 24, 2014
    Scholarship Committee will narrow applications based on above requirements
    Finalists will be interviewed by the Scholarship Committee
    The Scholarship Committee will award The Officer Sean A. Collier Self-Sponsor Scholarship to one person

** ALL application packages must be submitted in PDF form via email to: [email protected] , NO LATER THAN January 24, 2014.**
    PLEASE NOTE: AWARD OF THE SCHOLARSHIP AND SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE LPA PROGRAM AS A SELF SPONSOR DOES NOT GUARANTEE EMPLOYMENT AT ANY POLICE DEPARTMENT.

http://police.mit.edu/sean-collier-self-sponsor-scholarship

LawMan3, zm88, Irishpride and 4 others like this.
  2. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Very cool!!

3. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

"As an exemplary role model."

I'm out.

4. pahapoika

c'mon Cowboy !

fake it till ya make it :cool:

5. Pvt. Cowboy

Kidding...

But seriously, it's a great idea for those that can go income-free for 6 months. It's never been about the 3k academy fee for me, it's no income for half a year.

Good luck to those that apply.

frank, zm88 and Dan Stark like this.
  6. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Well if this continues for years to come I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.. ya know... for a friend?

edit: But really, this is an awesome idea. Great way to keep Officer Collier in our thoughts

7. pahapoika

shack up with some cougar and just keep her "happy" :D

mpd61, frank and zm88 like this.
  8. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Nice work MITPD. PM me and we will see what we can do to help frpom down here.

9. NT04

NT04 MassCops Member

As a person with no professional experience what type of reference letters would you guys advise, besides that of my loving mother.
    I was thinking of community service supervisors or non-LE job supervisors but I'm not sure if either of those would suffice, also I'm clearly strapped for time here, but I'll take any suggestions

10. MITPolice

MITPolice MassCops Member

We are looking for more applicants for the Sean Collier Police Academy Scholarship. The selected applicant will attend the June 2, 2014 Lowell Police Academy as a self-sponsor with the tuition paid for through the scholarship.

Please visit: http://police.mit.edu/sean-collier-self-sponsor-scholarship for more info

Please help us spread the word.

11. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Existing thread moved to MPTC forum, latest new thread on the scholarship merged with the existing thread, and thread tacked. If anyone has any future questions or posts on the scholarship, please post them here. Thanks.

12. kenzo

kenzo MassCops Member

Does any know when applicants are likely to hear back if they qualify for an interview?

13. MITPolice

Emails are being sent out today letting applicants know as to whether or not they will be moving on to the next stage.

Good luck to all that have applied!

14. thatsright

thatsright MassCops Member

Selection made yet?

15. MITPolice

A candidate has been chosen and will be made public on April 18, 2014. The recipient of the scholarship has been notified.

visible25 likes this.
  16. thatsright

thatsright MassCops Member

17. Pvt. Cowboy

I'm still waiting on my two letters of reference from my bro's...

18. MITPolice

Applications now being accepted for the 2015 Officer Sean A. Collier Self Sponsor Scholarship. Applications due by January 23, 2015. Please see police.mit.edu for more info.

Please spread the word!!!

19. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

^^ To be 21...

20. Pvt. Cowboy

I'm STILL waiting on letters of reference... ;)

I think this is an awesome cause. Good on MIT and the program administrator for this. You're doing it right.

visible25 and Hush like this.
  21. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Inauguration date is my birthday....how fitting.