The new Cambridge/Northeastern Police Academy | Page 2 | MassCops

The new Cambridge/Northeastern Police Academy

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by clm38, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Nothing has really changed in the last 25 years right up until now. It used to be that part-time municipal officers could bump a full-time UMASS or EPO or any campus from a spot in a full-time MPTC academy because MPTC academies had to offer first choice to all "municipal" officers first. UMASS and EPO's got added a few years ago to the MPTC's mandate so they have as much right to attend a full-time MPTC academy as any other municipal department. This has never been the case for all other campus police department's. They can only attend a state run or directly state funded MPTC academy if there are extra unfilled spots. An MPTC "CERTIFIED" academy that is not affiliated with the state, and does not receive state funding, can open its doors to any PD on a whim. My understanding is that you really don't see non-MPTC run academy classes funded by the MPTC anymore but they were once very common. I went to a City PD academy as a campus cop that was funded by the MPTC.

I was told it works like this: Gotham City PD calls the MPTC and wants to run an academy with the 25 Gotham City recruits and has room to train 55 officers. MPTC agrees to fund the class at the Gotham City PD academy but since they are using MPTC funding, they must accept the extra 30 officers the MPTC will direct towards them. These officers will be municipal/UMASS/EPO full-time first and then other PDs if extra spots are available. If your full-time certified academy is non-MPTC funded, you could offer it to only part-time private campus PD officers if you wanted to. Some may recall that MPTC funding was used to fund a National Guard municipal full-time academy a few years ago. I heard some municipal chiefs went bananas because that went against the rules as everyone understands them to be.

2. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Yes, Lowell and Cambridge had a split following last year's academy (2018). About 1-2 weeks into that academy, most of the Lowell staff was changed out and new DIs brought in; or those who remained were bumped up in position.

From what I've heard, Cambridge was not too pleased with how er... aggressive their recruits were trained/had been trained in recent years. The staffing change was more of a straw that broke the camel's back, as this new NE/Cambridge academy was already in the works being planned, but perhaps pushed up on an accelerated timeline.

All the Cambridge DIs from the former LPA now run this new academy with new DIs as well obviously

Take the above post with a grain of salt as it's mostly hearsay... but comes from credible sources

3. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

My class had 3 P/T cops in class. When 2 were discovered by the Training Council (MCJTC) they were told they could not finish the academy since they were required to be FULL TIME employed officers. The third sort of sat quietly and never uttered a sound, though we all knew. Some wrangling by the head of the Academy and well connected classmate kept them in. One full time guy severely injured his knee. He too was allowed to graduate with us, though he couldn't do any PT including the run and he retired almost immediately after.

On an up-note, he got back to work, had a good career and retired again.

mpd61, Goose, Edmizer1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

I'm curious how the "PT is lacking" at a MPTC authorized academy / is called camp cupcake when the new cooper standards are the same for EVERY MPTC run or authorized academy?

5. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I saw a lot of it firsthand. Trust me lol

kdk240 and 02136colonel like this.
  6. 503AUX

503AUX MassCops Member

No Fooling? I had applied one time to Mount Wachusett Community College campus police, figuring that i was an alumni in their Criminal Justice program and completed the Boylston Reserve intermitant academy, I was a shoe in. But the Chief only will hire full time trained officers. Can you believe that?

7. 503AUX

503AUX MassCops Member

Funny thing is when i went through the Reserve academy, it wasn't really physical at all, just a lot of testing,reading and presentations. Granted it started getting physical out in the field, LOL!!!!!!

8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

They should do some backgrounds on people going to their academy. We had a graduate apply that is a habitual traffic offender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdk240, CapeSpecial and CCCSD like this.
  9. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

Yep

10. 503AUX

503AUX MassCops Member

what kind of traffic offense? I can understand a repetitive dangerous drive but some that have out dated inspection stickers, in my opinion, shouldn't be on the chopping block.

Hush likes this.
  11. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Numerous suspensions and actually being an HTO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCCSD likes this.
  12. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Departments: We can't find enough applicants!
    Also Departments: tHiS gUy HaS SpEeDiNG TicKeTs.

Goose, CCCSD and EUPD377 like this.
  13. 503AUX

503AUX MassCops Member

That’s a pity, there are plenty of good trained reservists out there that won’t even get a good look at.

Kilvinsky, CCCSD and mpd61 like this.
  14. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Silence my little friend.......Remember that you're being looked at too!;)

503AUX likes this.
  15. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

Let me guess, a self-sponsor?

mpd61, CCCSD, kdk240 and 1 other person like this.
  16. 503AUX

503AUX MassCops Member

LOL!!! Roger that.

mpd61 likes this.
  17. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Had Lana Burner in our academy...