The new Cambridge/Northeastern Police Academy | MassCops

The new Cambridge/Northeastern Police Academy

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by clm38, Jul 13, 2019.

1. clm38

clm38 MassCops Member

So, has everyone seen this?

I know the "kinder, gentler" approach is the direction that law enforcement seems to be going, but I'm not sure about this.... a no-stress academy? Beards and polo shirts? I'm hearing the physical stuff (PT/DT/etc.) is really lacking, but the academics are hard, so maybe that's something... but have we gone too far in the other direction?

I can't help but think that this is all part of a bigger plan by Northeastern... put themselves out at the "forefront" of 21st-century police training (regardless of whether the training actually sucks in reality), then transition to some sort of destination training site for LE officers -- in-service, specialty training, etc. Reeks of a future money-grab or maybe just an attempt to revitalize their CJ program?

Anyone know anything beyond the news story?

http://www.boston25news.com/video?videoId=965934038&videoVersion=2.0

2. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I do the detail across the street from where they work out all the time. Lets just say its nothing like my academy lol.

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Saw people drop out of the reserve academy because it was too hard !!!

Why not recruit young truck drivers or a tradesmen that had some youthful indiscretion ?

They look past alot of stuff for certain groups when they need to get their numbers up.

More mature candidates with life experience.

As far as mixing private business with public safety ?
    Nothing good can come from that. In a few years it'll look like RoboCop. Corporations owning the police department :eek:

Joel98, brk120, CCCSD and 1 other person like this.
  4. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

5. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

I don't know I read either policeone.com or officer.com a while back this is the starting trend and academic mindset out in either Wa or or. Seems like the progressive push here. What concerns me is that they are saying they are putting their own twist on mptc guidelines. Idk. Is it even an approved mptc academy because i don' see it listed under regional academy like you can see bostton, the t, worcester lowell.ect on mptc's website . Unless I'm missing something.

Joel98 likes this.
  6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Does this mean Cambridge PD is no longer a partner in running the Lowell Police Academy?

7. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

There was a non-MPTC academy run by a PD a few years ago, I forget the PD, that the MPTC would not consider the graduates certified because they went too far outside the guidelines. It was briefly a big deal and then disappeared. I think they had to send the active duty officers back to the academy to re-fresh certain modules before the MPTC would considere them certified.

Joel98 likes this.
  8. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

[​IMG]

It’s definitely camp cupcake, but it is MPTC authorized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pahapoika likes this.
  9. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

10. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Yeeeeaaaahhhh....PERF 21. Lets just see the tracking stats in a few years.

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  11. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Theres talk of us doing a class of 300 down the cape

12. HuskyH-2

Heard a rumor about running two classes concurrently day and night. Any truth to that?

13. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Cape was directly from someone who can make those kind of decisions lol. Haven’t heard anything about day and night classes.

14. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I went to a full academy (Training Council approved) back in 1981 and I bet it was nothing like your academy. We ate donuts after PT!
    I find this extremely ironic considering that campus cops are no longer accepted in MPTC academies. WTF? Too much silliness in some of these academies that don't necessarily make you a better cop. "Oh, I can RUN MILES, but I have no idea how to talk to a crazy person." In THIS day and age, you will be prosecuted for sneering at someone. I'd rather have a guy graduate and come on the job unable to run 2 miles, but be able to talk down a lunatic.

and I'm old and fat and don't run...EVER.

NG1992, Joel98, Hush and 2 others like this.
  15. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

That makes two of us Jim!:cool:

16. HuskyH-2

Campus cops aren’t accepted in MPTC academies?

17. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Your wrong about the campus cop. 2 Springfield college are graduating next week from Springfield pd academy.

Joel98 likes this.
  18. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

That's how it should be. Did they attend as Springfield College or sponsored by someone else? I'm just going by what I've been hearing and if that information is wrong, GOOD.

19. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

We had a kid graduate the one that's run through NECC and he had some of tufts guys in the class. I think it might depend on the academy like when the T would only take universities years back.

20. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Unless things have changed, non-Umass campus officers can only attend an MPTC academy if there are extra seats available and no municipal police officer wanted them (even part-time municipal). MPTC sponsored academies can do whatever they want as far as attendees. They could have all campus at the full-time academy of they wanted to. Umass and Environmental are now considered municipalities at MPTC academies by a statute change a few years ago. I went to the f/t academy in the mid 90s as a campus cop in an academy run by a city PD. There was a huge backlog of municipal cops who wanted seats at the time but I got in because my campus supported the academy with resources during good and bad times/years.

21. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

They were already working at the college and the Chief sent them. I’m sure they may not stay forever with the mptc academy but what a bingo for them .

Kilvinsky likes this.
  22. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Is the statute that encompassing? It was originally ONLY for the U/Mass Amherst department for recognition as a municipality in Amherst, Hadley and another town? Right? Can anyone cite what Edmizer1 is talking about?

23. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

MGL Chapter 6 Section 116 in part:

The committee (MPTC) shall set policies and standards for the training of municipal police officers, candidates for appointment as municipal police officers, environmental law enforcement officers and the University of Massachusetts police officers in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, including the training mandated by sections 116A to 116D, inclusive, of this chapter, section 36B of chapter 40, sections 96B and 97B of chapter 41 and section 24M of chapter 90. The committee shall review and recommend to the secretary an annual appropriation for the administration of the committee, as well as for the operations of a headquarters and regional training centers, and for the delivery of standardized training at the centers.

Kilvinsky and mpd61 like this.
  24. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

So if the state gives certain private schools limited "police powers" their entitled/eligible for MPTC ?

Is this the death of SSPO ?

Joel98 likes this.
  25. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

I’d be curious to see a list of all the possible police academies one could attend in Ma. Just for sh*ts and giggles.MSP, Transit etc

pahapoika and Joel98 like this.