Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Police Vehicle Testing

The Michigan State Police recently held their annual testing of police vehicles. While the official report will be out in a few weeks, Police Driving has obtained some preliminary data.

The following vehicles were tested:

Dodge Charger - 3.5 SPFI & 5.7 SPFI

Dodge Magnum - 3.5 SPFI & 5.7 SPFI

Chevrolet Impala 9C1 - 3.9 SPFI

Chevrolet Tahoe PPV - 5.3 SPFI

Ford Interceptor - 4.6 L SPFI

Ford Explorer - 4.6 L SFI & 5.4 L

The most anticipated in this years testing were the Dodge products. They did not disappoint as they did very well in braking and acceleration. Listed below are a few quick facts from the testing:

• [*]
    The Dodge Charger (5.7) had the quickest acceleration with 6.52 seconds from 0-60. The Dodge Magnum (5.7) was a close second with 6.55 seconds. That is compared to 8.93 seconds with the Ford Interceptor and 8.83 seconds with the Chevrolet Impala.
    [*]
    The top speed came from theDodge Charger (5.7) with 150 mph. That was followed by the Chevrolet Impala with 142 mph and the Dodge Charger (3.5) with 135 mph.
    [*]
    Despite being the fastest, the Dodge's gained some of the top scores on braking. Both the Magnum and the Charger had the shortest stopping distance at 60 mph and the highest deceleration rate.

The final report will be out in a few weeks. The link to previous vehicle tests can be found at: www.michigan.gov

·
Registered
874 Posts
Are they going to ugly up their cruisers again with that one big ass, red,1970's beacon light on top of their SP cars?

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
2-Delta said:
Are they going to ugly up their cruisers again with that one big ass, red,1970's beacon light on top of their SP cars?
I wouldn't doubt it...I saw newer model Crown Vics (2003/2004; I don't know enough about the cars to spot the differences besides the hubcaps, and the antenna placement on the '05s) with the stupid light on top of it when I was out in Michigan for my sister's wedding last October.

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,841 Posts
Ford should really pay attention to this study... those Interceptor sleds are getting stomped on by Impalas that have two less cylinders. The Charger is definitely the way to go... though I don't believe 6.52 is accurate in the 0-60 dash. I believe, only because I drive one every day, that it's closer to the 5.6 time that Car and Driver published. Would that difference be because of equipment? Do they test these with the added weight from takedown lights and pushbars etc.?

·
MassCops Member
210 Posts
2-Delta said:
I love those single beacons! My ideal cruiser would have the single beacon on the roof, and led strobes on the back dash and grill.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
The real story is far beyond acceleration and braking statistics. It's like which new 1 litre superbike is the best overall. Who cares!? Most people can't drive these things to their performance potential.
:-k
Real world things like ergonomics, availability of accessories/parts, and reliability have much more tangible impact on daily operation than test stats.
=P~
I Have driven Crown Vic's and now Impala's. I would love to hear how these front-drive, fuel efficient, lightweight toys are performing at EVOC? How about comfort. How's everybody doing after 8 or more hours sitting in these things? The Crown Vic is a dinosaur, yet it's still a damn good platform for law enforcement.

G

·
2-Delta said:
Its actually not bigass nor ugly. Its a dual lamp rotating beacon that has more light output than any of your sissy lightbars. Each 6in. lamp puts out 100watts and are the same type of bulbs used for landing lights in a DC-9!

It is made by Unity USA (www.unityusa.com) and cost about $300 for the Unibeacon RV26RSP version with the 'Spitfire' lens. Pretty cool light, it is unique---people KNOW who they are approaching when they see the red beacon in its constant 60 flash-per-minute beat. Also have wigwags,red and blue Whelen Single Talon's (LED) in the rear deck plus taillight flashers.

note: Some MichSP cars have the 4 lamp models...we're talking 400 watts (like 30amps) draw from the 4 lamp model...

For some reason MichSP has always been having lots of red warning lights on their vehicles. In Michigan, most PD's have red/blue, or just blue. FD's and EMS have red or red/white. Vollie FD's also are allowed to have red, red/white. A wierd fact is that any tow truck or auto recovery truck is allowed to have as much RED warning lights on as long as they are stationary and doing work that requires the lights for safety. They can also have amber but most (where I live) have all red.

MichSP is all about tradition, hence keeping the light and the hood sign (see pic below).

The legend is that they would pull along side vehicles at night and activate the sign that says, "STOP". It actually is lighted with a 12v bulb on both sides. Now most would think that they just drill those into the hood and thats it. Well apparently they actually wire these puppys up to the switch box and they still light up! Kind of a wierd tradition.

The special "electric blue" paint color used to be protected by state law; no longer is though. Chrysler's police version of the Dodge Intrepid was never seen on the streets in blue because Chrysler refused to paint the car in that color. It was allegedly not economically feasable to do a big paint color changeover just to paint a few hundred cars.

Hopefully DaimlerChrysler will succumb to MSP's tradition and paint the Hemi Charger as a classic "Blue Goose".

Current Blue Goose's on the road are the newer body style Crown Vic, the 1999 Tahoe (the only pursuit rated tahoe prior to the 2005), 2000+ Impala's (very very few, under 50), Cherokee sports (for dog handlers), 2005 Tahoe's (pursuit rated), Dodge van's (grey and plain looking, no decals, regular plate for Fire Investigation), numerous flavors of civie cars for higher-ups. They have a couple of slicktop CVPI's painted in "odd" or off-tradition colors like silver,black, and burgundy. Those are used for special highway enforcement. That is actually quite scarey since their special blue color is totally expected by everyone and not the off colors. They have a few helo's in stock from Bell 206's to I believe a Bell 430.

Any MichSP car runs double-trouble "after dark" (midnight shift); must be double staffed per their union contract. Its actually quite amazing how understaffed they are. I believe the last I heard was that they were only at like 900 for the state and are several hundred short. They didn't even run an academy (starts with 50 people) for like 3 years because of the budget problems. They ran two academies last year but then threatened to lay them off after they graduated. We have TWO cars on for the entire county were I reside (300,000 people) at any given time. That is kind of scarey since most of the county is rural and police service is minimal (the big city and its surrounding communities have their own PD's. The brown clowns (sheriff's) are useless as a bag of hammers.

:razz:

G

·
I couldn't agree more, I live not far from a Michigan State Police (Adrian) Post and I often find myself asking the same thing over and again, "When the h--- are these cops gonna change the lights on the cars, this is making the MSP the laughing stock of the law enforcement community.

Jerry

Deuce said:
Still ugly....

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
I took an EVOC course a few weeks ago with CV's and Impala's. Impala's definitley handle better, but the 06 Impala's have a bigger V-6 and looks like they are faster than CV's now. I heard that Ford is cycling out the CV's soon.. not sure when or if its even true. Our dept. already looked at the Chargers and they got denied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts