Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt think I could be more digusted but here they go again! Instead of running the too little too late apaology on the front page like they did the horrifying photo, they hid it inside on page 2 after a 20ish page section on the sox. The "front" page still has crap printed on the cops "mistakes" and the feeble apology is on page 2. Like anyone is going to see that as easy as they did the picture! I just bought my last herald today. Kudo's to Trot Nixon for the comments he made about the incident, he has a lot of class. Sorry for the spelling Im too pissed. :BM:

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
pucknut @ 23 Oct 2004 11:31 said:
I didnt think I could be more digusted but here they go again! Instead of running the too little too late apaology on the front page like they did the horrifying photo, they hid it inside on page 2 after a 20ish page section on the sox. The "front" page still has crap printed on the cops "mistakes" and the feeble apology is on page 2. Like anyone is going to see that as easy as they did the picture!:
You sound surprised at this.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The Record, for all their pronouncements to the contrary, is still just a cop-hating rag. period. Just witness Howie Carr's unreasoning hatred of the state police.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What's even worse is if you read some of the opinions on thier website regarding yesterday's cover photo of the girl, there are some comments from these a**holes praising the photo and justifying the riot as just "celebrating" and condemning the the police and calling them murderer's. What a waste of life some of these people are.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Where was all the outcry when the Herald published pictures of a shooting vic from Mattapan or Dorchester.....let’s leave that a rhetorical question because we all know the answer to that one. If anyone has such a problem with the Herald now they should have had a problem anytime that the newspaper has published any pictures of any violence. A dead body is a bead body, whether it’s a 21-y/o college student or a 19 y/o gang banger who was killed in a drive by. So who determines what the litmus test is to decide which dead bodies are OK to print and which ones cross the line? If its OK to print one corpse then shouldn't all corpses be fair game? In no way do I mean this to diminish this woman's death but I just would like to point out the massive double standard I've seen with people who are so critical against the Boston Herald. Its a fact of life that death, depravity, and tragedy sell papers. Good bad or indifferent its what they do its the business they are in. Does it lack journalistic integrity? I've always viewed that as an oxymoron so I don't know, but I just don't feel that it was any worse than any other fatal accident (that what it was, a horrible unforeseeable accident) scene. None of those bothered me much neither dose this one. I suppose maybe I've become desensitized to it but it’s just my feelings about this matter.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Irishpride @ Sun 24 Oct said:
Where was all the outcry when the Herald published pictures of a shooting vic from Mattapan or Dorchester.....let's leave that a rhetorical question because we all know the answer to that one. If anyone has such a problem with the Herald now they should have had a problem anytime that the newspaper has published any pictures of any violence. A dead body is a bead body, whether it's a 21-y/o college student or a 19 y/o gang banger who was killed in a drive by. So who determines what the litmus test is to decide which dead bodies are OK to print and which ones cross the line? If its OK to print one corpse then shouldn't all corpses be fair game? In no way do I mean this to diminish this woman's death but I just would like to point out the massive double standard I've seen with people who are so critical against the Boston Herald. Its a fact of life that death, depravity, and tragedy sell papers. Good bad or indifferent its what they do its the business they are in. Does it lack journalistic integrity? I've always viewed that as an oxymoron so I don't know, but I just don't feel that it was any worse than any other fatal accident (that what it was, a horrible unforeseeable accident) scene. None of those bothered me much neither dose
this one. I suppose maybe I've become desensitized to it but it's just my feelings about this matter.
:dito:

LEOs better get over the way the media cover and report things, especially police issues because guess what, they have been doing this for 150 years to us and they are not going to change. This is America not Nazi Germany or Russia. Our freedom of speech exists as well as media privilege. I hate how it is done but thats the nature of the beast. Get use to it and grow some tough skin or you will find yourself with heart problems when you get old. Our average age is a mere 59 yrs because we let things bother us. Know when to say I don't give a F%*K and just do you job the best you can.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Irishpride @ 24 Oct 2004 00:34 said:
I suppose maybe I've become desensitized to it but it's just my feelings about this matter.
Desensitized... that's the key word. The media will always be the media... biased and self-serving. I personally don't think the Herald is nearly as bad as the Globe as far as cop bashing goes.

As far as the picture of the victim from the game 7 riots, I'm not sure what the Herald's slant on it was, but I didn't view it as a tasteless and heartless exploitataion of a tabloid rag; I saw it as more of a message that this is reality, look you shithead college f***s and your shithead friends, this is what happened because you caused this.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,799 Posts
Dunngie,

I agree to a point. As a parent of two "sh*thead" college kids who knew Tori intimately, I would use this opportunity to point out that they are:

1. Mortal beings
2. Bad things will happen to good people who are in proximity to sh*thead people

Pray that my lectures get absorbed and digested somewhat.
:(

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
In reference to the shithead college kids and their shithead friends:

I mean the actual numbnuts who were out there using the victory of a sports team as an excuse to get violent and tear up the city.

I can understand the excitement and adrenaline rush of young people, wanting to run out into the streets and rejoice the Red Sox's win, but a good portion of chaos was created by shitheads. It was ridiculous. I don't know what Victoria was doing before she was fatally wounded, from the way you have described her, mpd61, she sounds like a good kid who was just out in the street wanting to be in the midst of all the excitement and be around other people who felt the same way.

Unfortunately, there was a great number of people waiting for an opportunity to get out of control under the guise of a Red Sox celebration. As for Tori, wrong place, wrong time.

Don't blame the cops, don't blame the commissioner, don't blame the Herald... blame the shitheads!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
At the risk of igniting another firestorm of controversy as I did in another thread, Irishpride and Officer Dunngeon are right. Regardless of how nice the victim or her family are, people do not act in predictable ways. If they did sociology and psychology would be hard sciences and not the sophisticated guessing games that they are.

We need to remember that once our children leave the nest, we no longer have direct influence on them. All we can do is hope that the lessons we, our family and our religions taught the child were enough. This stage of life, 18 - 22 yoa, is the young adults experimentation phase: they will make wrong choices...mostly they will survive to learn from them. A case in point would by the "Girls Gone Wild" videos advertised ad nauseum on TV during the dogwatch. How many proud parents would be shocked to see their little girl on one of those videos?

Maybe Miss Snelgrove was blameless, but my experience in these matters causes me to be skeptical...I would suggest that youthful indiscretion, coupled with randomness, chance and probability, are more likely in this tragedy.

But to get back to the photographs, the difference in this instance is that Miss Snelgrove is a member of our peer group, and the "gang banger" is not...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.