Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
This Grafton & Upton RR has some truth to it. Not much of a department. I went to the academy with two guys who were "sponsered" from the RR. One guy was the "chief" and the other was using it as a sponsor to go to the FT academy. To my knowlege, they have one guy on the books who is "police" for business purposes. They really don't even exist. The railroad hardley even runs. They run about a miles worth of RR track in my town, to and from a yard to a factory. It used to be a railroad, but most of the railroad is not functioning. Snow mobiles and ATVs have more use of the RR property than the RR itself. From what I understand the RR used to be active in the early 1900s but, nothing happens on the RR now. I work in a town that has the RR property running through it. Never see trains. But there are current signs stating RR property and no tresspassing. All in all its a big bunch of nothing police department. Hardly exists

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Re: The Grafton & Upton Railroad Company Railroad Police

Its a railroad that dont do much. It doesnt have hardly any customers ( thier maybe one or two) and the line is mainly in shambles. You see. it was a 15 mile railroad that carried traffic between two railroad main lines. Well due to mergers the two lines it connected are now owned by the same railroad----so its no where what it used to be.

The last time a locomotive turned a wheel on it was this time last year and that was the first wheel that turned in a long time aside from a few trains a year. It was just the locomotive and all they did was brush cutting and check the rail guage. They was a sent out a Brush cutting machine to clear the line a few years ago because they may have had a customer come online.

I dont understand what there thing with railroad police is considering they are almost non existant.

Here is a guy wearing that patch.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=200402280159265588.jpg&byrail:5:Grafton_&_Upton

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2002031815581031131.jpg&byrail:11:Grafton_&_Upton

·
Super Moderator
7,148 Posts

stm4710";p="56038 said:
Its a railroad that dont do much. It doesnt have hardly any customers ( thier maybe one or two) and the line is mainly in shambles. You see. it was a 15 mile railroad that carried traffic between two railroad main lines. Well due to mergers the two lines it connected are now owned by the same railroad----so its no where what it used to be.

The last time a locomotive turned a wheel on it was this time last year and that was the first wheel that turned in a long time aside from a few trains a year. It was just the locomotive and all they did was brush cutting and check the rail guage. They was a sent out a Brush cutting machine to clear the line a few years ago because they may have had a customer come online.

I dont understand what there thing with railroad police is considering they are almost non existant.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=200402280159265588.jpg&byrail:5:Grafton_&_Upton

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2002031815581031131.jpg&byrail:11:Grafton_&_Upton
I like the caption on the second picture...I'm not sure if that should be construed as job security or not. :roll:

·
Registered
221 Posts

:D :D Actually I know that they do run about a 1/2 mile stretch carrying containers to and from a mill, but nothing significant enough to be called a RR. I loved the pictures you found of the one and only Grafton Upton RR police officer. That is the guy I went to the academy with. Quite entertaining. I didn't know they had or required a full dress uniform. He must have dusted that one off pretty good. What a waste of money that uniform was. Hope the RR was picking up the tab on that one.

Last I knew was that they had to establish "on paper" some type of established police department for the RR in order to get federal funding for the RR. I was suprised to see in those pictures that they had a caboose :p

·
Registered
65 Posts

A couple officers of the RR police taught an inservice class for DT and handcuffing. The instrtucter mentioned that they had a RR swat team??

·
Registered
164 Posts

Federal rules require a RR line to have a PD if they move agricultural products. That is why that line's PD exists.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

coppah914";p="56060 said:
A couple officers of the RR police taught an inservice class for DT and handcuffing. The instrtucter mentioned that they had a RR swat team??
Which academy and when? Which Rail Road? Not this one, obiously, since it only has one officer. I trust the mentioning of a "RR swat team" was out of curiosity and wasn't intended to start a flame war against RR police now. :roll: <braces for impact>

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Amtrak had a special response team of some sort.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts

Federal rules require a RR line to have a PD if they move agricultural products. That is why that line's PD exists.
Really? I may or may not be closely connected to a busy shortline that moves ag. products and doesnt have a RR pd......even on paper. :shock: Who's rule is that? FRA, DOT, USDA?

·
Registered
164 Posts

I work with someone who went to the academy with that officer. He told me about this department and that was reportedly their explanation for the Grafton & Upton Railroad Police.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts

The guy in the pics is one of the co owners of district crime prevention.

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts

coppah914";p="56060 said:
Which academy and when? Which Rail Road? Not this one, obiously, since it only has one officer. I trust the mentioning of a "RR swat team" was out of curiosity and wasn't intended to start a flame war against RR police now. <braces for impact>

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Amtrak had a special response team of some sort.
I obviously dont think Upton /Grafton PD would have a SOT... I've seen B&M Railroad's Special Operations team and I'm guessing the other big railroad PD's have them too, but that's because there's homeland security and other issues involved.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well I must say that the officer pictured is quite spiffy and splendiferous while fully attired in his uniformed apparel. Well at least he doesn't have a ton of fruit salad on his tunic like some people I have witnessed in their dress blues.

Some guy from Wackenhut in Boston runs around with so much crap on his pocket flaps, he looks as if he parachuted into Normandy and took on Hitlers SS single handedly!

Boston & Maine RR lines north of Boston and into North Station were taken over by the MBTA Commuter Rail about 20+ years ago and an old federal RR statue kicked in that stated that the MBTA Police had to take in some of the B&M RR cops. Something about one line losing to another / senority rules etc. Bottom line was these cops, about a dozen in all, were merged into the MBTA Police by an act of legislature without even taking the CS test. Some are still on the new Transit Police now. Just a small bit of history & lore for you all.

What happens if the G&U RR goes belly up? Will this cop have the chance to merge into Grafton or Upton PD? LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts

Did anyone bother to follow the auction link? Check out the seller's other items...and the reg on the Crown Vic being "DCP22" leads me to believe it is indeed District Crime Prevention.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts

sgtmvm";p="56148 said:
Did anyone bother to follow the auction link? Check out the seller's other items...and the reg on the Crown Vic being "DCP22" leads me to believe it is indeed District Crime Prevention.
Yeah, and he's got a nice little side enterprise going on selling the RR's departmental patches.. :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts

FROM THE DCP WEBSITE:

www.districtcrime.com

District Crime Prevention is the only agency in the Commonwealth to require all of its officers to be trained and certified by the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council. We have higher standards than some municipal police departments have for their part-time Police officers :shock:

District Crime Prevention is a full-service professional security agency. All of our officers are trained and certified by the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Councils part-time police academy. We are the only security agency in the Commonwealth to maintain this high standard. This allows District Crime Prevention the opportunity to benefit our clients with the most professional security service they deserve to accommodate their unique security needs. District Crime Prevention is a Massachusetts based security and investigation agency with local and international experience and affiliations. Our investigators have over thirty years of investigation experience on behalf of businesses, municipalities, private clients, as well as members of the insurance and legal communities. District Crime Prevention associates have extensive field experience and police academy training. Many have educational backgrounds in law enforcement related fields such as arson investigation, bomb search and sabotage, counter intelligence and special firearms training.

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts

My favorite qoute from one of the pictures: "On the return run from West Upton, the Grafton & Upton's Alco crosses the Old Upton Road crossing in the rural eastern section of Grafton, Massachusetts"

Ah, I guess that's opposed to the urban metropolis that lies in the western section of town. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts

hey j809, bbillichick, and jasper you should file some kind of legislature bill to take awaypolice powers and the right to secure grants for job security reasons. The state police could patrol this railroad, a detail or two for brushcutting. As a matter of fact I am going to call my state rep and ask him to file a bill to take away the powers of this organization because they don't answer 9-1-1 calls. Thats right they are wannabees who wish they were you. Not REAL POLICE. Just some humor people. Relax. Remember if you speak here you have job envy. I want to be. I wish I was. Yeah right.

·
Subscribing Member
4,342 Posts

Hey Truthbebold, before you open your mouth know what you are talking about. Some of my best friends work for the B7M Railroad PD and they are REAL cops just like this guy is, unlike you. Get a life.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.