The Fighter | MassCops

The Fighter

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Inspector, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

The trailer for the Micky Ward story, The Fighter, was released yesterday and I may be mistaken but one of Lowell's own lawmen who played a major role in Micky's life is seen is several shots even in this brief flick. Those of you who know whom I am talking about can confirm or at least tell me it certainly looks like the other Mickey in this story. I love films shot in areas I know and it's great to see Cupples Square and other streets I know well. By the way a sidenote, that "triangle building" in the background was just recently a murder scene.

iTunes Movie Trailers

2. Inspector

UPDATE: Just a few more weeks and Lowell comes to the big screen in THE FIGHTER . So too does Lowell Police sergeant Mickey O'Keefe who plays himself as the person Micky Ward, in his book, credits with being the one true and blue friend. The LOWELL SUN in his updated story, shows Mickey O'Keefe on set. You know I'm gong to watch this flick.

A fighter's life, blow by blow - Lowell Sun Online

3. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

I can't wait to see it. Friend of mine was an extra as well.

4. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Was there for the filming in Lexington, Marky Mark is TINY compared to Amy Adams, wonder how it will look on film.

5. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Am i the only one who thinks this wont be good?

6. Boston Irish Lass

Boston Irish Lass MassCops Member

I think it's a great story. His brother is a nutter though. Recently arrested for assaulting his girlfriend. I will definitely be seeing this.

7. Inspector

Saw it this afternoon. Worthwhile and lots of laughs if you know the players (I do). I do think Christian Bale will at least be nominated if not win the Oscar for best supporting actor as he play a better Dickey that the real Dickey. Lowell certainly shows itself in this film, although anyone who knows the city well knows they made georgraphical errors in going from point A to B and the V.F.W. Highway isn't as long as it seems in the film. I was particularly rolling in the aisle, as were others who know them even remotely, by the portrayal of Alice and the girls. They were almost like chomic strip characters, which I know is pretty accurate. Mickey O'Keefe, who works still today as a Sergeant at LPD, did a great job as himself and I'd not be a bit surprised if we get to see him sometime in the future at least as a major extra in another film. The saying is "There's a lot to like about Lowell "and there certainly is a lot to like about The Fighter.

8. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

It’s the role of his life

LOWELL — Mickey O’Keefe told his grandchildren that in his next movie they might see him sing and dance. He was teasing, but the kids had no idea. Grampy, they squealed, you can’t sing or dance!

Maybe not. But it turns out that O’Keefe, much to his own surprise, can act.

When Mark Wahlberg and director David O. Russell asked the 62-year-old Lowell police sergeant to play himself in “The Fighter,’’ the new, critically lauded film about boxer “Irish’’ Micky Ward, his first reaction was to laugh them off.

Lowell police sergeant shines playing himself in ‘The Fighter’ - The Boston Globe

[​IMG]

9. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

It was a great film.

10. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I saw the movie yesterday. I thought it was a good movie and it was nice to see the "homeland" on the big screen. However, I must say, those sisters are pretty "handsome!" Yikes!

11. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Just amazing, really well done. If you can, see it in Lexington where they filmed it.

12. cc3915

I can't even afford to drive into Lexington.

13. cc3915

Acting? Heck, he lives the role every day

Becoming a celebrity overnight is a funny thing.

Especially for a regular Joe like Mickey O'Keefe, a veteran Lowell police officer who never acted a lick in his life. But when Mark Wahlberg is in your corner saying you've got acting chops, that's when life can turn stranger than fiction.

Now O'Keefe is walking red carpets all over Hollywood and hearing a lot of, "hey, aren't you that guy in The Fighter?"
    "I never expected this," he said Tuesday, after hearing The Fighter was nominated for seven Academy Awards.

14. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

I liked the movie, thought its was done pretty well.

15. macdaddy

macdaddy MassCops Member

Which scenes were filmed in Lexington?

16. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

The movie theater scene.