The Commute Game: A powerful tool for passing FTO | MassCops

The Commute Game: A powerful tool for passing FTO

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by the42cop, Dec 12, 2016.

1. the42cop

the42cop MassCops Member

Anyone looking to enter the Academy has to wonder about FTO afterwards. There are lots of ways to fail FTO, but one of the quickest is poor geographic orientation and poor overall observation skills. Next time you're stuck in traffic on your way to the Academy, or running errands, play the commute game and start building the skills necessary to pass FTO.

The commute game: A powerful tool for passing FTO - So you wanna be a cop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hush likes this.
  2. felony

felony MassCops Member

These two things will fail any recruit from FTO.

1) Officer Safety
    2) Orientation

Joel98 and the42cop like this.
  3. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

And not responding to questions/directives in a timely manner.

Joel98, Ghost12345 and the42cop like this.
  4. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

This 100%, officer safety is huge.

5. Oakum yokum

Oakum yokum MassCops Member

Proper radio traffic, in correct sequence..

6. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Heard a new kid call “Washington Street” “Washington Ave” the other day on the radio. It’s only the longest street in Boston.....

Ghost12345 likes this.
  7. Oakum yokum

On one if first MV stops,. I called in plate# prior to location. Fto got pissed,. I explained that who killed me was more important than where my body was.
    He refused to talk to me for two hours.

Wouldn't even discuss it....

Goose likes this.
  8. Oakum yokum

Next shift, I called it in exactly how he wanted it.. 1/2 hr later I was one my own in a cruiser. ;)......

Goose likes this.
  9. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Location Location Location, the plate number will be in the MDT or you can call it in after you stop. Your FTO was correct.

Drebbin, Danusmc0321 and felony like this.
  10. felony

felony MassCops Member

As BxDetSgt stated, location first. What if the vehicle has a plate attached to the wrong vehicle, the owner is not the operator, or the passenger has a warrant and gets out firing, before you call your location in. Your back up/ dispatch, will have no idea where you are. Try to anticipate where you're going to stop the car and call it in. I try to query the plate prior to the stop, to check registration status, owner info, if the owner is a female and the operator is a male, criminal history, WMS, etc. It's basic officer safety. If you have the violation, you can follow the car and check these things, before you activate the blue lights. I always try to know who I am dealing with, before I stop the car. Like I said, it's basic officer safety and any seasoned officer will agree.

11. Oakum yokum

Two sides to every coin,. I'll take it under advisement.....

12. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

That’s pretty ballsy arguing with an FTO who has years of experience and you’re brand new
    :p

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  13. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

All good points and I won’t disagree with you. All I’ll say is there are lots of departments out there that do this in all different kinds of ways, they’ve kind of figured out what works for them through their own experiences and trial and error.

In fact I know of a couple large departments in California that call in traffic stops giving the license plate first, and then location. And these are departments that deal with serious officer safety situations everyday.

Not saying you’re wrong, just saying that everywhere in the country seems to do their own way, a lot of similarities but a lot of differences too.