The Chicago Code | MassCops

The Chicago Code

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Simon, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Simon

Simon Guest

2. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I will be checking this out. I just hope there's room on the DVR. I record so many shows now!

I visited the Chicago PD memorial a couple of years ago. Man, talk about walking away speachless, which is a hell of a feat for me.

3. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Just saw the trailer for this on Fox. I MAY give it a shot. I, for one, am not interested in any more LAPD shows.

4. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

I'm just glad Southland is coming back next week. I like that show, it's not all about crime scene detectives, it's about guys on the road.

5. Kilvinsky

Amen to that. I've said it before and bear with me as I say it again, one of the main reasons I lost interest in "NYPD BLUE" was I was absolutely sick and tired of the uniformed guys being portrayed as: A) morons; B) Wannabe Detectives; C) Crooks; D) Brutal Thugs; E) Essentially useless.

I also got very tired of the dour Sipowicz after a while. ENOUGH ALREADY, BE FRIGGIN' HAPPY ABOUT SOMETHING YOU ASSHOLE!

Sorry. Almost got off on a tangent. I stopped myself.

6. SinePari

I have never seen any CSI-Wherever show, or whatever cheeky acronym they throw on the back of a raid jacket. The zealous female with the sport suit acting all bitchy and the dunce male partner who can't find his own shadow is WAAAAAAYYY over played. They might as well be laundry detergent commercials.

Nothing will top Barney Miller.

7. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

The only cop show I ever watched and found interesting at all was third watch. Before that was Hill Street Blues but I was really really young.

8. Kilvinsky

Barney Miller; Bakersfield PD; The Shield; Adam 12; Dragnet (hokey at times, but great show); Police Story; Law and Order (the ORIGINAL); The Wire; those are shows I can watch over and over. There are a few others, but I'm drawing a blank and don't feel like listing EVERYTHING.

And speaking as a fat bald guy of 51, I'm sick and tired of these shows where everyone looks to be under 40, good looking and there's the one quirky one who in real life would probably have never gotten the job in the first place.

Sipowicz was a LOUSY example of the rumbled old curmdgeon cop.

I will stop before I've beaten that horse into dust.

9. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

High Incident was a good one!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_MfgJPPf7Q&feature=related"]YouTube - High Incident - Welcome to America (Part 1)[/nomedia]

10. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Opinion: City lost in translation in ‘Chicago Code’

[​IMG]

Photo: Delroy Lindo stars in “The Chicago Code” as crooked Ald. Ronin Gibbons, who is partners with crooked Irish contractors, a combination that rings true, unlike other details in the Fox cop drama that debuts Monday night.

Viewers tuning into the new cop drama, “The Chicago Code,” Monday night might wonder if what they’re watching is actually about Chicago.

At least the Chicago that savvy citizens have come to know and hate and love.

Sure, “The Chicago Code” presents the city gorgeously, and not just the usual tourist spots.

If loving Chicago is “like loving a woman with a broken nose,” as Nelson Algren wrote, the city’s facial fractures have never been more beautifully captured than in “The Chicago Code.”

Yet the series, as highly entertaining as it is, gets a few things wrong.

First, there’s the title itself.

No one calls the Chicago Code “the Chicago Code.”

It’s the Chicago Way.

Perhaps the series’ creator, Shawn Ryan, a Rockford native, did not want to step on the toes of his former television colleague, playwright David Mamet. Both men worked on the television series “The Unit,” and Mamet indelibly defined “the Chicago Way” in his screenplay for the movie “The Untouchables.”

The next problem is the series’ premise. It tells the story of the city’s first female police superintendent and a legendary homicide detective who team up to investigate the city’s most powerful alderman — arguably, the man with the most clout in Chicago. Helping them is an undercover officer who has infiltrated the city’s Irish mob.

Of course, a superintendent and a detective who decided to shake out the dirty underwear of one of the city’s most ruthless politicians would not remain a superintendent or a detective for long.

They’d soon be looking for work in the private sector, perhaps as security consultants or suburban police chiefs.

That’s the Chicago Way.

And that’s why the feds historically have undertaken such investigations, even of lowly aldermen, much less powerhouses.

A bit of a stretch too is the idea of a police superintendent going from crime scene to crime scene, lending a hand in the investigation, as Jennifer Beals’ police superintendent does in the drama.

At one point, she even sits down and negotiates with a gang leader to broker a truce. Talk about a ridiculous scenario. (Wait, scratch that. That actually happened here.)

Another quibble: There is no Irish mob in Chicago, as depicted in “The Chicago Code.”

Sure, we have Irish criminals. And Polish criminals. Russian ones, too. Pick your ethnic group.

But we don’t have an Irish mob, just as we don’t have a Russian or Eastern European mob with a highly organized criminal structure.

What is left of Chicago’s mob has historically been Italian, with a fairly open membership policy.

James Marcello, for instance, the former head of the Chicago mob, who’s now in prison, had a mother “as Irish as Paddy’s pig,” in the words of his defense attorney, Thomas Breen.

The mob isn’t too picky on ethnic makeup these days. Racial and ethnic unity in the name of making a crooked buck is one theme the cop show does get right.

The show’s crooked black alderman, played by the magnificent Delroy Lindo, is partners with crooked Irish contractors, a combination that rings true.

In this city, the color of money trumps the color of skin any day.

That too, is the Chicago Way.
    Detective Shaved Longcock

11. SinePari

If I can get past her character, I'll give it a shot.

Funny, just about every EE/former Soviet Bloc CDL driver in a big rig I come across has a license from...ILLINOIS. Hmmmmmm

12. Kilvinsky

What a terrific review.

1) I have been to Chicago and loved it. Granted, I was never in a 'bad neighborhood' but I saw a fair amount of it. My son and I went there three years ago and our hotel was near Wrigley Field and we spent a lot of time downtown and went to Evanston. We did a LOT of walking and I found it a great city. So, to how the city will be portrayed, I can't say anything but nice things.

2) These days, Jennifer Beals would be a good choice. Many departments do have women bosses and I applaud that. I'm old school, yet I've worked with enough women who would deserve a top job, that I'm all for this. I just hope she doesn't become a positive stereotype.

3) Delroy Lindo is a terrific actor and I'm glad to see him working.

4) Capone I believe put an end to the Irish mob in Chicago.

5) I just hope I don't miss this show somehow. I tend to do that. This looks promising. "Detroit 187" is good, but it's an ABC cop show. Everyone seems a clone of NYPD Blue, which I hated after season 1. Have I mentioned that before? Sorry if I did.

6) Oh, one last thing. "The Untouchables" was mentioned in that review. As many movies and TV shows have depicted Chicago cops, I have yet to find ANYONE who comes close to Sean Connery's cop, Jim Malone. He plays one of the most AWESOME cops ever depicted on screen. Totally honest (in EVERY way) and doesn't give a damn about anything but doing what's right in a time when you COULD do ANYTHING so long as it was right. Saints be praised! (now if only DeNiro's Capone was a little less than 40 years of age...Capone at the time was in his late 20s)

13. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

"Funny, just about every EE/former Soviet Bloc CDL driver in a big rig I come across has a license from...ILLINOIS. Hmmmmmm"

A few years ago there was a problem with a driving school and CDL testing in IL.
    that ties in with that.

14. SinePari

15. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Looks like typical TV crap, couldnt make it past the first 5 minutes. Usually by the time I hear "Come on man, just give me the gun!" its time to change channels.

16. Kilvinsky

Ok, I missed the premier. I'm not surprised.

17. GeepNutt

GeepNutt MassCops Member

Myself I was holding out for CSI - Ontario. On second thought........:smug:

18. SinePari

Actually, that was the worst part of the show. I'll set my DVR for next week because I enjoy it when the storyline is continuous a la The Shield, 24, or Prison Break, etc.

19. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I wonder if the producers of "Detroit 187" have any idea that 187 is the penal code for murder in California, and has absolutely nothing to do with policing anywhere else, including Detroit. Michigan's murder statute is 750.316. They should change the name to "Detroit 750.316." Anyway...

20. tsunami

tsunami MassCops Member

i am fucking hooked on this show so far

21. SinePari

Ok after a few weeks, I've faithfully been DVR-ing it and the good outweighs the bad.

The Good:

Friggin' OUTSTANDING opening song with Smashing Pumpkins' frontman Billy Corgan. Pretty good way to set the tone.

Delroy Lindo is PERFECT for the role of a dirty Alderman. I've always been a fan of his style.

They pretty much cover all personalities within a police department.

The bad:

I absolutely HATE the TERRIBLE voice overdubs for the commissioner. It's horribly inaccurate as compared with the other cast members, the set, and the surrounding environment. I fight through it, though I hope next season the sound people will help her out on this.

And there's a little, just a smidge, too much Hollywood with the main character and the commish running out to every single event in the city...but it's kind of par for the course. No biggie.

For someone who doesn't watch dramas, especially cop shows, I'll concede that this one is well done so far.

22. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

So far so good. I've DVRd every episode and I think each episode keeps getting better. I must say the only reason I am watching it is because it's a Shawn Ryan show. Usually I stick to the FX shows that can pretty much do what they want. Nothing will EVER top The Shield, but this show is worth the hour a week.