Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

The Best Flashlight

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Killjoy 
#1 ·
The topic header says it all.
I personally prefer the Stinger ( I have the XT High-Performance model),
but I also have a Surefire G2 that I find pretty good.

#4 ·
Mark I can't agree with you more.
No other flashlight I know is as bright and easy to clamp under your arm while you're dealing with your "stop". Besides, it doubles as a striking implement (what surefire does that?).

If you need a backup light to keep on your belt, you can't beat the Streamlight Scorpion for size, price, and brightness.

My :2c:

#5 ·
full size streamlight works for me. I put it to the test my second night on the job. as a boot in van nuys (ca) while wrestling with a burglary susp high on crack, my light left my hands and fell 2 stories into the deep end of a pool. the light stayed lit for approx 5 minutes underwater (i was later told).

i took the battery out and drained the water out, let it air dry and it was working fine.
and it DOES make a great impact weapon for close contact!

:twisted:

#8 ·
I am happy with the Ultra Stinger. It is the same length as a MagCharger, but the same diameter as the regular stinger. The head is wider than the regular stinger. The price is comparable to the MagCharger, but you get 100,000CP instead of 30,000CP. I keep the Stinger XT (tactical tailcap) on my belt and the Ultra Stinger in my duty bag.

#13 ·
I carry the new Streamlight LED/halogen (20XPLED, I believe) combo light, although I'm not too keen on the rubber grip. I keep my UltraStinger in my cruiser bag as a back-up.

MT1... I agree with you on the 'penlight' style light. Always keep my Stylus in my ticket-book pocket.

#14 ·
I carry the new Streamlight LED/halogen (20XPLED, I believe) combo light, although I'm not too keen on the rubber grip. I keep my UltraStinger in my cruiser bag as a back-up.

MT1... I agree with you on the 'penlight' style light. Always keep my Stylus in my ticket-book pocket.

#15 ·
Streamlight TL-2 tactical light (outstanding light, small, super bright) $39.99.

Surefire Executive E-2 Elite - Small and also bright (but not as bright as the TL2 and more expensive).

Mag Light Re-chargable - good for general patrol work - big so you can use it as an impact weapon (just kidding).

#16 ·
I Like my Stinger Re-Chargable as a primary and keep my Mag Light in my Cruiser Bag.

I usually start my MV stops with the Stinger, but if I'm gonna give an exit order, I make sure the Mag Lite is close by.

I also have a LED keychain light for those situations MT1 referred to.

#19 ·
I've been using the same MagCharger for over ten years and it still works fine. It has seen plenty of impact against hard surfaces (and some not so hard) and has never needed anything more than an infrequent bulb replacement. It has proven to be a reliable tool both on the road and in a crash-and-bang plainclothes type unit. We trained with them on the range at the SPA. It tends to become an extension of your own body so much so that on the long ride home from mid shifts, I'd find it in my hand during traffic stops during broad daylight. It stores nicely in the short club pocket of the breeches / trousers where the smaller lights would get lost. Gouges in the aluminum and embedded glass can be ground out with a wire brush attachment on a drill. The beam is adjustable from spot to flood. I, too, would recommend carrying two in your sled.

NOTE: The preceding is NOT a paid advertisement.

#20 ·
Another vote for the magcharger....I have been carrying mine for over three years and have had nary a problem with it. It has taken quite a bit of abuse and come out like a champ! To some of you newer guys; it doesn't hurt to have a backup baton, something you can't get out of a small stinger or sure-fire. My magcharger (lovingly nicknamed "dope-slapper") has crowned many an unruly suspect; much more often than my ASP or Autolock. Probably because I work nights I tend to always have my magcharger in my weak (non-shooting) hand. I also stopped putting it in my breeches/trousers pocket when it came flying out during a foot pursuit. For the last couple of years it has sat loyally in a flashlight ring on my left side; and I haven't lost it yet in a foot pursuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.