The Arizona Immigration Law Thread. | Page 2 | MassCops

The Arizona Immigration Law Thread.

Discussion in 'Illegal Immigration Issues' started by CJIS, May 20, 2010.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Immigration law supporters rally at Ariz. Capitol

By MICHELLE PRICE, Associated Press Writer Michelle Price, Associated Press Writer – 49 mins ago
    PHOENIX – Hundreds of people supporting Arizona's new law cracking down on illegal immigration gathered near the state Capitol Saturday afternoon as temperatures reached 105 degrees.
    The Pennsylvania-based group Voice of the People USA organized the demonstration, which it touted as a grassroots effort. Attendees traveled from every region of the U.S., Voice of the People president Daniel Smeriglio said.
    Hundreds of motorcycle riders kicked off the downtown Phoenix rally off by riding in a procession around the Capitol. Supporters waved American flags and some carried signs that read "What part of illegal don't they understand?"
    The rally follows dueling events last weekend that drew thousands of opponents and supporters of the law to the area.
    But this weekend's demonstration could be muted by hot weather. The National Weather Service has predicted that temperatures will reach 107 degrees on Saturday.

Immigration law supporters rally at Ariz. Capitol - Yahoo! News

2. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

3. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

Dems are just pissed that they are going to lose more voters.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

1. If you migrate to this county, you must speak the native language

2. You have to be a professional or an investor. No unskilled workers
    allowed.

3. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools, no
    special ballots for elections, all government business will be
    conducted
    in our language.

4. Foreigners will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they
    are here.

5 Foreigners will NEVER be able to hold political office.

6. Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no
    food
    stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs.

7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount
    equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.

8. If foreigners do come and want to buy land that will be okay, BUT
    options will be restricted. You are not allowed waterfront property.
    That is reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.

9. Foreigners may not protest; no demonstrations, no waving a foreign
    flag, no political organizing, no badmouthing our president or his
    policies, if you do you will be sent home.

10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be hunted down
    and sent straight to jail.

I havnt been able to confirm but if this is true of Mexico's policy all I can say is WTF?

4. kwflatbed

5. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I've been getting about 3 calls a day at the house from a 925 area code number. When I finally picked up to see what they wanted, I was greeted by an accented woman who was asking me to contact my senator to get them to vote against the "mean-spirited" immigration laws. I informed her that I actually support those laws, and she was speechless. She stammered and gave me a few umms then hung up, like she couldn't fathom that not everybody is on board with a free ride for criminal invaders.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Wow, looking up to see where 925 was (CA) I came across this website, its great!
    925-364-9919 / 9253649919 1/6

6. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) — Mexicans are seething over the second death of a countryman at the hands of U.S. Border Patrol agents in two weeks, an incident near downtown El Paso that is threatening to escalate tensions over migrant issues.
    U.S. authorities said Tuesday a Border Patrol agent was defending himself and colleagues when he fatally shot the 15-year-old as officers came under a barrage of big stones while trying to detain illegal immigrants on the U.S. side of the Rio Grande.
    About 30 relatives and friends gathered late Tuesday to mourn Sergio Adrian Hernandez Huereka, whose shooting Monday evening came along the border with Texas. He died on the Mexican side of the river.

FOXNews.com - US-Mexico tensions heightened after US Border Patrol agent kills Mexican teen near El Paso

Apparently this little shit and his pals thought it would be a good idea to play a cat and mouse game with agents as they ran back and forth across the bridge while throwing rocks at the agents. You play with fire, you get burnt. I have NO sympathy for this dummy and Calderon should focus on his own shithole instead of telling us how to run our Country. NO other POTUS would pander to the toilet of the USA also known as MexIIIIcOOOOO.

7. Hush

2 down

8. Hush

9. kwflatbed

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

By Alan Gomez, USA TODAY

Arizona's tough new immigration enforcement law is fueling an exodus of Hispanics from the state seven weeks before it goes into effect, according to officials and residents in the state.
    Though no one has precise figures, reports from school officials, businesses and individuals indicate worried Hispanics — both legal and illegal — are leaving the state in anticipation of the law, which will go into effect July 29.
    Schools in Hispanic areas report unusual drops in enrollment. The Balsz Elementary School District is 75% Hispanic, and within a month of the law's passage, the parents of 70 students pulled them out of school, said District Superintendent Jeffrey Smith. The district lost seven students over the same one-month period last year, and parents tell Smith the Arizona law is the reason for leaving.

TRENDS: Ariz. Latinos register as Democrats

CENSUS: Ariz. immigration law makes count tougher

POLL: More Americans want tight immigration laws

IN CALIFORNIA: Boycotts over Ariz. immigration law

"They're leaving to another state where they feel more welcome," he said.

The measure, signed into law April 23 by Republican Gov. Jan Brewer, requires a police officer to determine a person's immigration status if they are stopped, detained or arrested and there is "reasonable suspicion" they are in the country illegally.
    About 100,000 illegal immigrants left Arizona after the state passed a law in 2007 that enhanced penalties on businesses that hired them, according to the Department of Homeland Security. Some early signs suggest another exodus.

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law - USATODAY.com

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 ----------

Controversial Arizona sheriff's deputies nab 40 suspected illegal immigrants

LOS ANGELES, June 9 (Xinhua) -- Deputies in Maricopa County Sheriff's Office arrested 40 suspected illegal immigrants in a 36-hour period ending Wednesday, the sheriff's office said.
    Among those arrested, 31 were transferred into the custody of Immigration and Customs Enforcement in accordance with federal law,according to a statement from the MCSO.
    The arrests were reportedly the first time where a large number of suspected illegal immigrants were detained in the wake of the adoption of a controversial Arizona law that targets illegal immigrants.
    Sheriff Joe Arpaio, the MCSO's controversial leader who calls himself America's toughest sheriff, previously has come up with a number of strong-handed approaches to control prisoners and his jail facility.
    Many civil rights organizations have criticized the sheriff and his deputies over a number of allegations including racial profiling.

10. Hush

Lucky Arizonans!

11. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

I hope they flee to every state, county, city and town that has decided to boycott Arizona.

12. Hush

Except Boston I hope!!

13. kwflatbed

ICE Chief Vows To Process Illegals In AZ

June 10, 2010 - 1:58 PM | by: Mike Levine

[​IMG] John Morton

The nation's top immigration enforcement official vowed on Thursday to process many -- but not all -- of the illegal immigration cases referred to his agency by the state of Arizona, something he said his agency has continued to do even while federal attorneys wrangle over the Grand Canyon state's new immigration law.
    "The truth of the matter is we do not have sufficient resources to identify, apprehend and remove every single person that's in this country unlawfully," John Morton, assistant secretary for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said at a morning press conference. "So we'll continue to accept the referrals from the state of Arizona, just as we do today, but we will continue to make a decision on a case-by-case basis, in light of our resources and in light of our priorities."
    Those remarks come three weeks after The Chicago Tribune reported he told editorial staff that "his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona officials." The Chicago Tribune did not offer an exact quote, and a subsequent email to the Chicago Tribune reporter seeking Morton's precise wording was not returned.
    Republicans on Capitol Hill and others took issue with Morton's remarks, accusing ICE of changing its enforcement policy and "nullifying existing law."
    The ranking member on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., told Fox News that Morton was "telegraphing to every ICE agency in America that they really don't intend on cooperating with Arizona." Rep. Candice Miller, R-Mich., a member of the House Homeland Security Committee, later told a top-ranking ICE official she was "rather stunned" by Morton's comments.

ICE Chief Vows To Process Illegals In AZ Liveshots

14. Beal Feirste

Beal Feirste MassCops Member

I've been trying to follow this story of Arizona's stand against immigrants and tried to look at it from both sides. Always easy of course to look in from outside but this post from another site I found simple and quite logical really. Can't really argue against it.

You have two families: "Joe Legal" and "Jose Illegal". Both families have two parents, two children, and live in California .

Joe Legal works in construction, has a Social Security Number and makes $25.00 per hour with taxes deducted.

Jose Illegal also works in construction, has NO Social Security Number, and gets paid $15.00 cash "under the table".

Ready? Now pay attention...

Joe Legal: $25.00 per hour x 40 hours = $1000.00 per week, or $52,000.00 per year. Now take 30% away for state and federal tax; Joe Legal now has $31,231.00.

Jose Illegal: $15.00 per hour x 40 hours = $600.00 per week, or $31,200.0
    0 per year. Jose Illegal pays no taxes. Jose Illegal now has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays medical and dental insurance with limited coverage for his family at $600.00 per month, or $7,200.00 per year. Joe Legal now has $24,031.00.

Jose Illegal has full medical and dental coverage through the state and local clinics at a cost of $0.00 per year. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal makes too much money and is not eligible for food stamps or welfare. Joe Legal pays $500.00 per month for food, or $6,000.00 per year.. Joe Legal now has $18,031.00.

Jose Illegal has no documented income and is eligible for food stamps and welfare. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays rent of $1,200.00 per month, or $14,400.00 per year. Joe Legal now has $9,631 .00.

Jose Illegal receives a $500.00 per month federal rent subsidy. Jose Illegal pays out that $500.00 per month, or $6,000.00 per year. Jose Illegal still has $ 31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays $200.00 per month, or $2,400.00 for insurance. Joe Legal now has $7,231.00.

Jose Illegal says, "We don't need no stinkin' insurance!" and still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal has to make his $7,231.00 stretch to pay utilities, gasoline, etc.

Jose Illegal has to make his $31,200.00 stretch to pay utilities, gasoline, and what he sends out of the country every month..

Joe Legal now works overtime on Saturdays or gets a part time job after work.

Jose Illegal has nights and weekends off to enjoy with his family.

Joe Legal's and Jose Illegal's children both attend the same school. Joe Legal pays for his children's lunches while Jose Illegal's children get a government sponsored lunch. Jose Illegal's children have an after school ESL program. Joe Legal's children go home.

Joe Legal and Jose Illegal both enjoy the same police and fire services, but Joe paid for them and Jose did not pay.

Do you get it, now?

15. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

16. Beal Feirste

What annoys me is that I'm going through a lengthy and expensive process to do it the right way. It's what we both want but when Cat tells me of stories such as you just land, get all sorts of benefits up to and including, housing, cars, even mobile phones and credit cards! It tends to irk.

17. Beal Feirste

Could work I suppose but I wouldn't be able to get used to being called Jose.

18. kwflatbed

Ariz. Lawmaker Targets Illegal Immigrant Kids

Published June 16, 2010
    | Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Emboldened by passage of the nation's toughest law against illegal immigration, the Arizona politician who sponsored the measure now wants to deny U.S. citizenship to children born in this country to undocumented parents.
    Legal scholars laugh out loud at Republican state Sen. Russell Pearce's proposal and warn that it would be blatantly unconstitutional, since the 14th Amendment guarantees citizenship to anyone born in the U.S.
    But Pearce brushes aside such concerns. And given the charged political atmosphere in Arizona, and public anger over what many regard as a failure by the federal government to secure the border, some politicians think the idea has a chance of passage.
    "I think the time is right," said state Rep. John Kavanagh, a Republican from suburban Phoenix who is chairman of the powerful House Appropriations Committee. "Federal inaction is unacceptable, so the states have to start the process."

FOXNews.com - Ariz. Lawmaker Targets Illegal Immigrant Kids

19. kwflatbed

Obama Administration to File Suit Over Arizona Immigration Law

• [​IMG]
      AP
    Department of Justice still reviewing the law to build the administration's case — but decision has already been made to file a lawsuit, official tells Fox News.
    The confirmation comes after Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in an interview with a TV station in Ecuador earlier this month that the administration would challenge the law in court, though officials had long said the issue was under review.
    Administration officials initially would not confirm Clinton's statement. But an official told Fox News on Friday that while the review is still underway, the decision has already been made that a Department of Justice suit will be filed. The administration at this point is just building its case.
    Clinton's announcement was met with outrage Thursday by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed the law. Brewer told Fox News she's ready for a fight.
    "What a disappointment," Brewer told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren on Thursday, saying she was shocked the administration would make such an announcement on foreign TV without giving Arizona officials the news first.

20. MetrowestPD

MetrowestPD MassCops Member

They will spend countless resources on this lawsuit, but they will not spend a minute on any funds to put in place a solution to this problem that costs billions and trillions of taxpayers money.

21. kwflatbed

Brewer Stands Ground Against 'Outrageous' Federal Lawsuit

• [​IMG]
      AP
    • Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer refuses to flinch after Obama administration officials confirm that they plan to file a lawsuit challenging the state's anti-illegal immigration law.
    • In a statement issued late Friday, Brewer called Obama's decision "outrageous" but "not surprising."
      "Our federal government should be using its legal resources to fight illegal immigration, not the law-abiding citizens of Arizona," she said.
      Meanwhile, Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard said his office plans to withdraw as the state's lawyers in legal challenges to the law, leaving Brewer's attorneys to defend it. Brewer had complained that Goddard's criticism of the measure raised doubts about his ability to defend it.
    • | [​IMG]
    • Travel Warnings for Arizona Monuments
    • YOU DECIDE: Send REAL Troops?
    • Arizona Wants ACLU to Dismiss Suit
    • Eco Laws Bind Border Agents

22. SPQR

SPQR MassCops Member

You're absolutly correct! However, as crappy as it is, I in no way want the United States to be associated with the above named countries. I'll take our immigration issues any day in exchange for our freedom and the ability t ocall ourselves the greatest country in the world. Our inability to deal with immigration effectively pales in compairson to the ass-backwards thinking going on in countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran.

23. Hush

I hope they don't tolerate this! Time to move to AZ, and apply for a hunting license. Hope more Officers decide to go exploring on their day off.....with AR's and plenty of friends.

FOXNews.com - Mexican Drug Cartel Warns Police Officers in Arizona Border Town to 'Look the Other Way'
    [​IMG]
    AP
    One expert said the threat likely came from the Sinaloa Cartel, which is headed by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman-Loera, who is being sought by American and Mexican authorities.

Police officers in a small Arizona border city are on heightened alert following a tip that a Mexican drug cartel will put them in its crosshairs if they conduct off-duty busts.
    The threat stems from a marijuana seizure made this month by two off-duty police officers riding on horseback in an unincorporated area east of Nogales, a city of roughly 20,000, Police Chief Jeffrey Kirkham told FoxNews.com.
    "The word was that these particular officers would be targeted if they were ever in that area again and were not on duty and intercepted any drug trafficking," Kirkham said. "It said they should look the other way."
    The unidentified officers were able to confiscate roughly 400 pounds of marijuana during the seizure in early June at a known smuggling corridor along the U.S.-Mexican border where there is "relatively no fencing," Kirkham said. No arrests were made, and the smugglers were able to retreat into Mexico.
    Kirkham said his department, which employs 62 officers, learned about the threat through informants and has been unable to determine which Mexican drug cartel is behind it. Kirkham noted that two drug trafficking organizations -- the Los Zetas and the Sinaloa Cartel -- are currently trying to gain a foothold in the Nogales area.

"Which one, we can't establish," he said. "They're not ones to advertise who's behind this. It's difficult to establish."
    In response to the threat, Kirkham said everyone in the department was advised to be armed while off-duty

24. kwflatbed

Mexico to Arizona:
    See You in Court

[​IMG]

Mexico files brief in Ariz. court claiming new immigration law is unconstitutional, promotes racial profiling

Mexico on Tuesday asked a federal court in Arizona to declare the state's new immigration law unconstitutional, arguing that the country's own interests and its citizens' rights are at stake.
    Lawyers for Mexico on Tuesday submitted a legal brief in support of one of five lawsuits challenging the law. The law will take effect July 29 unless implementation is blocked by a court.
    The law generally requires police investigating another incident or crime to ask people about their immigration status if there's a "reasonable suspicion" they're in the country illegally. It also makes being in Arizona illegally a misdemeanor, and it prohibits seeking day-labor work along the state's streets.
    Until recently, Mexican law made illegal immigration a criminal offense -- anyone arrested for the violation could be fined, imprisoned for up to two years and deported. Mexican lawmakers changed that in 2008 to make illegal immigration a civil violation like it is in the United States, but their law still reads an awful lot like Arizona's.
    Arizona's policy, which President Felipe Calderon derided during a recent U.S. trip as "discriminatory," states police can't randomly stop people and demand papers, and the law prohibits racial profiling.

25. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

What!!??!!