Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
781 - 800 of 4166 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
The impression I get from discussions with Staties and reading this board is that the MA State Police is understaffed right now......if say 50 guys retire in the next 6-8 months would this help our case for a new class off old test?
We are down over 170 troopers, and no, this will not help your cause. The MSP is simply not filling the positions so it won't have to lay anyone off. There is a hiring freeze that is very unlikely to be undone anytime soon.

I wonder if this income tax roll back will effect our chances? I may have to vote NO to tax rollback, even though I am for it, if it helps facilitate a new class then tax away.
The fact you would even have to ask this question makes me doubt your sanity. IF there was a tax rollback the MSP would be lucky not to lay off the last couple of classes let alone hire a new one. Rolling back taxes would do nothing except increase taxes for homeowners, increase sales taxes and drastically reduce the amount of services the state provides, including aid to towns and cities. Many local departments would also be lucky not to lay personnel off if there is massive loss of state revenue. If any person is interested in being a cop in Mass votes for this idiotic tax rollback, you just voted yourself out of a job.

·
Subscribing Member
214 Posts
Lead by example, I hope he lowers his pay too! We all know the chance of that happening, slim to none.

We are having the same problems down here, hiring freeze is in effect. Our Col got a nice 33K raise, thanks to the gov before the fallout. I doubt the leaders down here will take a pay cut like we have to.

I hope things get better. STAY SAFE

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
I'm not sure that you guys got to see the whole press conference. I was talking to someone who was watching on a different station than me and the whole thing got cut off beofore it was actually over on the other station... That exchange that I quoted about the Cadillac actually took place. I didn't make it up.

AND HE KEPT SAYING TOGETHER WE... BLAH BLAH BLAH.

If there is anyone on this board that still thinks gtting rid of the income tax is a good idea, together we can (ruin our state, our economy, and any hopes for a better tomorrow.) Goddamn... I should be the anti-politician

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I'm not sure that you guys got to see the whole press conference. I was talking to someone who was watching on a different station than me and the whole thing got cut off beofore it was actually over on the other station... That exchange that I quoted about the Cadillac actually took place. I didn't make it up.
It just shows the world his contempt for someone questioning his spending choices.

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
I don't know if some of you actually read the pdf version, but in addition to 9c, he also filed legislation funding an RTT. It is right there on massgov. It sounds crazy, but read it first before you start to comment. Also, check out the pdf version.
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3ter...inalcontent&f=legislation_legis_9C&csid=Agov3
Before we start to comment on what?f you mean the plans for an RTT, so be it, you might be right. But if you mean his overall budget plans, they suck.

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
I don't know if some of you actually read the pdf version, but in addition to 9c, he also filed legislation funding an RTT. It is right there on massgov. It sounds crazy, but read it first before you start to comment. Also, check out the pdf version.
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3ter...inalcontent&f=legislation_legis_9C&csid=Agov3
For those of you who don't want to look for yourself, I'll expand

Department of State Police
8100-0515 For the estimated expenses of hiring, equipping and training state police recruits to maintain the strength of the state police, provided that 100 per cent of the amount appropriated in this item shall be assessed upon property and casualty insurance companies writing motor vehicle insurance policies in the commonwealth and paid within 30 days after the date of notice of such assessment from the commissioner of insurance. The commissioner of insurance may make and collect an assessment to pay for such estimated expenses against all property and casualty companies licensed, admitted, authorized or approved by the commissioner of insurance. The commissioner of insurance shall apportion the estimated charges among all such companies on the basis of direct and written premium of each insurance company in the most recent calendar year and shall assess them for the same on a fair and reasonable basis. The commissioner of insurance shall subsequently apportion actual costs among all such companies and shall make assessment adjustments for the same for any variation between estimated and actual costs. The assessment adjustments shall be apportioned on the basis of direct and written premium of each insurance company in the most recent calendar year and assessed on a fair and reasonable basis. The estimated and actual costs shall include an amount equal to the cost of fringe benefits as established by the secretary of administration and finance under section 6B of chapter 29…………………………………………………$3,200,000

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
Before we start to comment on what?f you mean the plans for an RTT, so be it, you might be right. But if you mean his overall budget plans, they suck.
Trust me, I think it sounds insane. I can't make this stuff up. For those who don't know, in addituon to 9c, the gov filed a supplemental budget as a rider. It appears he is banking on funding from insurance companies. ????

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Trust me, I think it sounds insane. I can't make this stuff up. For those who don't know, in addituon to 9c, the gov filed a supplemental budget as a rider. It appears he is banking on funding from insurance companies. ????
Then if the money does not come in he has someone else to blame for NO RTT

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
So, if what I'm reading is correct, Duval won't fund an academy, but 100% of the cost of running an academy will be funded by a surcharge on any motor vehicle insurance policy? I guess wonders will never cease, there may be an 80th yet.

But if they are/were talking layoffs of the 79th, does this make any sense, or was this just Duval's smoke and mirrors for the newspapers?

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
So, if what I'm reading is correct, Duval won't fund an academy, but 100% of the cost of running an academy will be funded by a surcharge on any motor vehicle insurance policy? I guess wonders will never cease, there may be an 80th yet.

But if they are/were talking layoffs of the 79th, does this make any sense, or was this just Duval's smoke and mirrors for the newspapers?
Why not? He's taking a page out of the ding-dings play book. Pay for FF training via homeowner insurance.

Also right before the press conference we were told something along the lines that we were basically well under budget, and short a significant amount of Troopers, so any cuts were avoided so far.

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
Interesting how the state funded Sheriff's depts were not even touched.

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
Interesting how the state funded Sheriff's depts were not even touched.
Lets not underestimate the importance of having a dozen K9's circling the outside gate at all times and a boat incase the walls start to sink. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
We can call ourselves the "almost class" because that is all we are going to be. If things didn't look good before, we have just had the door closed and the lock is turning. I just hope that they don't lay off any of the troopers from the last class. Now that would be a crime. Just move forward and go for the sure shot and if...a big IF,they happen to call, drop everything you have going and take the leap. Law School here I come...

·
Registered
27 Posts
So here is my question. And hopefully somone can answer it.

Now that there is a request for a class, when will this be voted on? And who will be voting on it? State Reps? Also, is it true that Free em all is callling the House to vote early. And if they do vote yes, what are the chances of him vetoing it? Or is that out the window beacsue he he already approved a class request?

And finally if the reps. are voting on this then maybe the 95's that are praying to god for a 80th should start emailing and writing them.:x:x:x

781 - 800 of 4166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.