Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
741 - 760 of 4166 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
I hear The Devil is eying cutting take-home cruisers for MSP. If he does that doesn't he have to pay troopers about $25 a day to use their car to get to work?

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Isn't it ironic that the 80th RTT thread is on its 80th page??
It's also ironic that Coupe Duval said he was going to put 1000 new cops on the street, but has really succeeded in taking cops OFF the street.

Unless he meant that he was going to put cops on the street, as in them losing their homes and having to live on the street.

Actually, about 800 Troopers have over 20 years.
Sine, maybe he was talking about personnel just in his Troop alone?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ill probably be 80 if i ever get a shot at the 80th. hope i dont have athritis.<--sp. And to clarify, deval didnt mean 1,000 cops, he meant put more cops on over 1,000 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
one thing that is seriously being looked at, is the funding for the quinn bill. listed for 2009 at $54,202,122 on mass.gov. It will be used as a bargaining chip regarding the ongoing issues and future issues regarding details. if police unions care to see it funded, let the issues of details go away. It is a very scary time to be a police officer.

G

·
one thing that is seriously being looked at, is the funding for the quinn bill. listed for 2009 at $54,202,122 on mass.gov. It will be used as a bargaining chip regarding the ongoing issues and future issues regarding details. if police unions care to see it funded, let the issues of details go away. It is a very scary time to be a police officer.
Absolutely NOT!!!

Rolling over just guarantees yet another Coupe Deval anal probe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Without a doubt the governor will come out and hold the apple out and tell the unions to behave. This issue is going to get uglier due to what is at stake for his administration. 54 million is alot of cash and watch what happens. i agree not to roll over but he may get 1000 less cops off of the street if this is the direction it is heading.

G

·
Without a doubt the governor will come out and hold the apple out and tell the unions to behave. This issue is going to get uglier due to what is at stake for his administration. 54 million is alot of cash and watch what happens. i agree not to roll over but he may get 1000 less cops off of the street if this is the direction it is heading.
Deval Patrick is a bold-faced liar. He PROMISED during the campaign that details and the Quinn Bill were "off the table" to more than one police union; look what's happened and is happening.

He can't be trusted; not a single word he says. He can stick his apple up his ass as far as I'm concerned.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
What difference does that make? About 99% of aspiring cops in this state take both exams anyway.
Here's the downside to merging the exams. 30,000 take the exam, of which "99%" will check MSP. 40-50 towns take from the top of the list over the next 2 years before MSP decides to start the hiring process for another RTT. How many 100s and below did the MSP lose before taking current names from the list?

By the time the agency decides and budgets for a class, they may well be reaching into the 80s and not have first crack at the top scores. See how that creates problems? Because nobody who's not on crack will pass over their hometown and top choices to wait for the MSP to hire them.

"Hey, I couldn't get on my hometown and top 3 choices, but I got on with the state!"

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
By the time the agency decides and budgets for a class, they may well be reaching into the 80s and not have first crack at the top scores. See how that creates problems? Because nobody who's not on crack will pass over their hometown and top choices to wait for the MSP to hire them.
Your assuming, of course, that just because someone receives a higher score on a completely arbitrary test he is a better candidate. I took the beta version of the 2002 MSP test (as everyone in the from the 3 RTT's hired off the previous test had to). Are telling me that that tragi-comic mess was a legitimate measure of someone's latent skills for policing?

We all know that police tests are just a way to establish a list to begin a hiring process. It has now been six years since the MSP held an exam, and there are no plans to enact a new test anytime in the near future. I find it somewhat embarrassing to tell friends of mine, many who are veterans, that there are no plans to have a test in the near future. Also, from the point of view of physical health, candidates who took the test at 26 or 27 (prime candidate age in my eyes) are now 32 or 33 now. As many of us know, being in your 30's is not like being in your 20's, and the academy is physically very demanding.

To me, anyways, its more important to keep a fresh and current list, then to stamp a test "MSP". The rest of the process would remain the same, with the MSP conducting background invests, psychological testing, oral boards, PT standards, and, of course, the SPA. If someone can make it through all those hurdles, then who cares about their MSP/Civil Service exam scores?

G

·
Here's the downside to merging the exams. 30,000 take the exam, of which "99%" will check MSP. 40-50 towns take from the top of the list over the next 2 years before MSP decides to start the hiring process for another RTT. How many 100s and below did the MSP lose before taking current names from the list?
Very simple solution; don't remove anyone's name from the state list if they take a position with a municipality. If someone wants the state job bad enough, they'll go through the process all over again with a smile.

I'm just very surprised that Coupe isn't ordering police tests every single year as a revenue producer. Walk past any testing center on CS or MSP exam day, and everyone standing in the line wrapped around the building has "donated" $75 or $100 to the cause. Imagine the raise in income tax that would be necessary to raise that kind of money.

Your assuming, of course, that just because someone receives a higher score on a completely arbitrary test he is a better candidate.
Even though I do very well on standardized tests, I completely agree they have little to nothing to do with actual job performance. One of my friends who was very intelligent just didn't do well on exams, and finally moved to Florida where he's had a very successful career with a sheriff's office.

741 - 760 of 4166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.