Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
721 - 740 of 4166 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not so sure that people will retire in droves. If you're making $100K, you have a take home car, gas card and full bennies, where are you gonna go to replace that right now?
Good point, Sine.

I wish that we could be more optimistic, but things are looking bleak. Once the joint exam is scheduled, we will have the final countdown.

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
I'm not so sure that people will retire in droves. If you're making $100K, you have a take home car, gas card and full bennies, where are you gonna go to replace that right now?
It doesn't matter....you're not trying to replace that. If you can retire making 75-80% of $100K, you're sitting with a fishing pole in your hand making 80K a year. If you need to make up that 20K it's not hard to do with something on the side. Why work for free?!?!?! They would be working for .20 cents on the dollar.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
It doesn't matter....you're not trying to replace that. If you can retire making 75-80% of $100K, you're sitting with a fishing pole in your hand making 80K a year. If you need to make up that 20K it's not hard to do with something on the side. Why work for free?!?!?! They would be working for .20 cents on the dollar.
Believe me, I could care less how much money they make but some have stayed on this job WAAAAAYYYYY too long, and they CAN'T retire. You know, one more boat payment, one more kid in an over priced college, one more car payment, one more this and that. I'd hope someone will show me the door when I've overstayed my welcome.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The 79th graduated in september 2006, a full 2 years ago. Anyone know how many troopers have retired during that 2 year period. Seems like a long time to go without a class??

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
It was 5 years between the Last Class in Framingham.....and the SPA 70th.

Time were much harder then than they are now.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wow, long time. guess im worried about the upcoming test. i got a 95 in 2002....took 3 years (2005) to get to that for the 79th. Here we are almost in 2009. guess im being impatient!

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Look people, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. The state is broke, there is no money for a new class, hence there will not be one until Beacon Hill authorizes some funds. Those of you with 95's or deferred, I feel for you, but I think policing is pretty low on Deval's or Sal's priorities, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, the state is in trouble with the budget, my fiance works for DCF, formally DSS, and they recently had a meeting about possible layoffs. It's a shame, but it seems like it will happen later than sooner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand everyone wanting to get hired in their home state, but if you want the job bad enough, it is easier to get on a state agency in another new england state instead of sitting around and waiting for civil circus to come around or the MSP to have another class. States like NH, VT, and ME have tests every month or so. CT is having a test some time around Feb 09, RI state police just had a test about a month ago. I wanted the job and didnt want to sit around and wait for my civil service town to hire, or MSP to have another test since i was 17 in 2002. I took the CT state police test in May 07 and went through their whole process and now im going into their academy next week. CT is an excellent agency and i would recomend anyone who wants the job enough to move to a state right next door to take the net test in Feb. Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
I had occasion to speak to a Major today. He also says the Commonwealth likely isn't going to produce any money for an 80th any time soon. But, he also says there are around 300 troopers right now who could pull the plug if this shitty situation gets worse. Such as pulling take home cruisers, of course details, and the contract is up very soon and you KNOW the Commonwealth isn't going to deal with the Coupe crying poor. FWIW.

721 - 740 of 4166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.