The 80th RTT Thread | Page 23 | MassCops

The 80th RTT Thread

Discussion in 'MassCops Gold - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly' started by MSO1, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spahopeful

spahopeful New Member

What should be my running goals leading into a potential 80th RTT? What distance should I be running? How fast should I run? Should I run 5 consective days to simulate the academy? Should I have a mix of long slower runs and short faster pace runs?
    Also, what other physical fitness areas should I try and improve? Weightlifting, sprinting, swimming, etc.

2. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Run, Forrest, run!!!

Seriously, run as far as is comfortable. I was pushing it way too far and was getting Achilles tendonitis, my trainer told me to back it down. I take it easier now, just be ready to push it to the limit for the PT test. Anything that is going to increase your endurance and lung capacity is a plus.

Lifting weights won't hurt, you'll need to do situps and pushups in the academy. Practice your front leaning rest, you'll need it. Anything I missed I'm sure the other guys will chime in.

3. Tango

Tango Subscribing Member

Go to a good running store and get fitted for running shoes, start using them. A ton of people in my academy had problems in the first few weeks because they did not have the right sneakers and/or they were not "broken in." The right shoes make a huge difference

4. Johnny Law

I did go to a store that is owned by a running club. I actually took my shoes off and they watched how my feet hit the ground and made recommendations based on that observation. In addition, I also purchased some "lifts" to help cushion my heels. I'm better now, but I think my age has something to do with it. Also, that tendon is tough to "train" according to the trainer.

To anyone else reading this, take Tango's advice and get thyself to a store that will take the time to get you fitted with a proper set of running shoes. This is one area you don't want to get cheap in.

5. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

I will second that. I went to a place down here called FleetFeet not sure if they have them up there. They put me on a treadmill barefooted and videotaped me walking then watched it in slow motion. Any way, they fit you just right and you will be amazed. If I can recommend a brand of running shoe it would be Brooks.

6. S0007

S0007 Guest

Waiting and waiting and then waiting some more. It'd be nice if we could get this show on the road. My time is running short

7. WaterPistola

WaterPistola Subscribing Member

My friends Uncle's girlfriend's mom said they are doing that to make you ineligible

8. Johnny Law

Call up HQ, tell them who you are and you demand they take action immediately. That should get this process kickstarted for you.

9. Eagle31

Eagle31 New Member

What should be my running goals leading into a potential 80th RTT? What distance should I be running? How fast should I run? Should I run 5 consective days to simulate the academy? Should I have a mix of long slower runs and short faster pace runs?
    Also, what other physical fitness areas should I try and improve? Weightlifting, sprinting, swimming, etc.

-I wouldn't run five consecutive days in a row. Your body needs time to recover, otherwise you will burn yourself out and limit your progress. I would recommend that you do intense running every other day, like Monday, Wednesday, Friday and take Tuesday and Thursday off to recover. Just a suggestion of how I would do it, but whatever works for you. Good Luck.

10. Rock

Rock Undefined

I'm a big fan of Fartleks.

11. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

The 'show' has its own cadence...stand-by to stand-by...there is nothing to be done about it (I still have my rejection-due-to-age letter).

Do you mean 'fart-licks'? Some call them 'wind-sprints'.:D

12. S0007

S0007 Guest

I'm down with the cadence, regardless of how long it takes- as I understand it, you're good to go if tested by age 35. Come to think of it, I hope I hear nothing until I return from deployment early next year.

13. Sircopalot

Sircopalot MassCops Member

Ok, here is the latest... And this comes from the source as of last week. The Colonel and Academy are pushing hard for a class of 150-200 by the end of the year. And the class will be taken off the last test with scores of 95. They stressed that they don't want to get to 94's as it would result in another 900 backround invest...Letters are going out soon to see who is still interested. Also, there is a push get away from the State Police test and have the the State Police hire off the civil service list...And there you have it..

14. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Still no $$$ yet. No dough, no show.

15. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I heard they got the money for 80 only.

16. ems1234

ems1234 New Member

My friend has received a letter for an oral interview in front of a panel of 3 for the Mid-September time frame. He had submitted his application which was due at the end of July. So..it sounds as though they are moving ahead with something possibly.

17. nirtallica

nirtallica Subscribing Member

Letters already went out, where have you been???????

18. Simon

Simon Guest

:confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

19. mc2252

mc2252 Badge101432

I heard last night that there will be no 80th. They wanted 900 response letters and they only got about 400. Get ready for another 20,000 people spending a hundred each. You do the math...

20. HELPMe

HELPMe New Member

Its Fartlek, if your serious about getting in shape I would practice the course. Its used by the USMC and includes various work out stations. Its not just wind sprints.

I would run 5 days a week with 3 mile runs. I am no expert in the MSP Academy, but (most) police academy physical training is almost all endurance and cardio. Good luck.

21. MM1799

MM1799 Subscribing Member

Train as much as you want; it can only help you.
    It's still going to be a SERIOUS gut check on day 1 -- I promise you wont be ready.
    Remember you can always quit. :mrgreen:

22. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

I just love all of the rumors that keep this thread going

23. mc2252

mc2252 Badge101432

Christ...as much as us locals often hate the State...we sure do talk about it allot. As for rumors...I heard from a 78th trooper and thats good enough for me. God knows the sneaky money grubbing..... would like a new test anyway so all their sons and nephews can get on. My dad was right...shoulda been a CPA...

24. nirtallica

nirtallica Subscribing Member

It does not matter how many responses are received. If we get the money, there will be a class because we need bodies that bad. If we have to go down the list, we will. Ohh I am sure this source is the end all be all. Don't listen to rumors. Just stay in shape. Keep yourself physically, financially and mentally ready. If and when it does happen, it will happen quick . If you are not prepared because you listened to stupid rumors, you will look back with regret as you are pulling onto New Braintree Rd. at noon time on Day 1 heading home.

25. Johnny Law

If I'm lucky enough to be selected, the only thing that's getting me out of that academy is my own death.

I have no illusions that it is going to be easy, in fact I'm expecting it to suck mightily. If it was easy everyone would do it. Just remember if you're a liar, cheater or thief, don't expect to last very long. I do feel like I'm more prepared vs. a newbie who's never done police work before. Good thing I was on the honor guard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.