Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
3961 - 3980 of 4166 Posts

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
I can't imagine that there would be anymore unless there was some kind of bizarre circumstance.
The following drops have in the past, and will continue throughout training...right up until the end:

Not maintaining good academic standing
Can't qualify/unsafe with firearms
EVOC failure
Honor code violations
PT failure
Family/Financial/Emotional stress
Military commitment
Something late in the background invest comes up negative (week 23 77th RTT)
Or they pull the plug because they realize their previous gig was better than working midnights on the NY/VT border for the next few years

The count on deck today will not be the same on graduation day.

G

·
Q5 that must have been trainee meltdown who went back to Newton P.D. On another note. A few people on here have posted stuff about trainees that have quit and didn't either know their cicumstances or posted that they didn't have heart, desire, family issues etc. I will tell you this, there was a trainee who quit last week because he made it quite clear that he "ALWAYS" wanted to be a FF and finally rec'd a card from his home town (mine also). Well I have this to say to you you selfish asshole. FUCK YOU!!! If you knew cards were coming out real soon (which we all did) why did you take a spot away from someone else at the SPA. You just took 2 spots away from someone who wanted a real nice job for the rest of their lives. When and if you graduate from the FF academy I will make it quite clear how I feel about your decision. Some people need to remember the SPA isn't like Baskin Robbins, you don't just go there to "TRY" the ice cream!! Be Safe.
I disagree; getting a police or fire job in this state is cutthroat, and no one gives a shit about you but yourself. I got called by the MBTA Police when I knew I was going to be getting called for Quincy, and it got to the point that they (MBTA) offered me the job. The ONLY reason I didn't take it was because back then, if you accepted a Civil Service position, your name was removed from all the other lists. If that wasn't the case, I would have gone to the MBTA, and would have left about 6 months later for Quincy.

I don't fault anyone for covering all their bases, because no one else is going to.

G

·
I gotta go with Irish on this one Delta - the difference being - Munincipal departments and the T and such run academies frequently - so, as I understand it - many people hired to many different departments would attend an academy together.

The MSP runs a proprietary academy - for someone to know "cards" were coming out for the FD, know they would be getting one, and held up a spot knowing he's going to bail is pretty selfish.
I agree it's selfish, but as I said, no one is going to look out for your interests but yourself. You owe nothing to the people behind you on the list, because they'd cut your throat in a nanosecond if it was going to benefit them.

Just my interpretation... sure be out for No 1 but why go through that knowing you're going to bail once that call comes - especially knowing it's coming SOON.
Because government jobs can be tricky things; sometimes the call doesn't come, or it comes and you get bypassed for the relative of a political bigshot. I really had/have no desire to be a firefighter, but I would have taken the exam and taken the job had I not been lucky enough to get a full-time police job when I was 22, and I wouldn't have felt the slightest bit bad about taking the spot of someone else behind me on the list when I bailed for a police job.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
We only lost one beyond week 4 and that was because he was a trainwreck.
Monday of week 5 was our last. That was a train wreck to watch as well.
I wouldn't suggest to the 80th lurkers to just put things on cruise control until March. Anything can happen, and there is no magic number to graduate.

The move from MSP to nozzle-head is weird, but hey: I'm jealous. I wish I were BBQing not chasing BS 911 hangups and domestics at work today. I don't fault anyone for wanting that sweet job...
As a FF, working midnights snuggled up with another ding ding waiting for calls in your hometown is different than commuting out past where the Turnpike goes down to two lanes for the next few years. We all know (and are secretly jealous) that a FF gig is the best PT job with FT bennies.

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
I wonder if the Trainee who was out getting sauced on Wednesday night at the local watering hole will own up to it on Monday morning.

·
Subscribing Member
824 Posts
Q5 that must have been trainee meltdown who went back to Newton P.D. On another note. A few people on here have posted stuff about trainees that have quit and didn't either know their cicumstances or posted that they didn't have heart, desire, family issues etc. I will tell you this, there was a trainee who quit last week because he made it quite clear that he "ALWAYS" wanted to be a FF and finally rec'd a card from his home town (mine also). Well I have this to say to you you selfish asshole. FUCK YOU!!! If you knew cards were coming out real soon (which we all did) why did you take a spot away from someone else at the SPA. You just took 2 spots away from someone who wanted a real nice job for the rest of their lives. When and if you graduate from the FF academy I will make it quite clear how I feel about your decision. Some people need to remember the SPA isn't like Baskin Robbins, you don't just go there to "TRY" the ice cream!! Be Safe.
I was acquainted with a trooper years ago who left to become an FBI agent. I heard that he missed the SP job to the point where he was seriously thinking of going back (don't know if he ever did). Assuming he did in fact return to the SP did that he mean he "took" the spot of an aspiring agent? Not to me; it all has to do with perspective.

If you were working at Home Depot and received an offer to become a police officer in your hometown would you refuse it if you had nothing more than an expectation that the MSP would be sending you a card in the next few weeks or months? Would taking the job mean you screwed someone else out of the local PD position if you subsequently left for the SPA? Not to me; once again it all has to do with perspective.

How many times has the 80th been a 'go' only to be postponed or otherwise delayed? This thread has been elevated to legendary status due in large part to the unpredictability of whether it would ever come to fruition. The same principle applies for the trainee who wanted to become a FF. As with any state/city/town job things can change in a heartbeat. One moment the state/city is or is rumored to be hiring the next moment the hiring process has been delayed indefinitely or eliminated altogether.

While the MSP is a phenomenal job, not everyone aspires to be trooper. Perhaps this guy had a family business with no health insurance and wanted the great benefits the MSP offers. The FF job finally came through and also offered him great benefits and the chance to work a full time job like any other FF (the only job where they wake you up to tell you it's time to go home but I digress). As Delta pointed out there is no interest like self interest.

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,841 Posts
Here's the answer to the problem, ready?

A.) We make fun of ding-dings, therefore anytime someone decides to chose that career OVER a job as a police officer, it's pretty much in our nature to make fun of them. A kid I went to high school with got on as a nozzle-draggah and I couldn't wait to make fun of him the next time I saw him. "Kid, ya been working out for the calendar?"

B.) We, well most, bust on drop outs because some of us know/are candidates who are waiting for their shot *ahem*cough*sneeze*gurgle* so when we see someone "take up a spot" that potentially could have been theirs... It's aggravating. It's inevitable that it will happen in each class, so it's not really news... But still aggravating.

That's my rationale for it all. I guess I could put it this way... If I was unemployed, and by chance had taken the fire exam (which has never happened) and I was picked up, I'd take the position as a "probie" until I was picked up by a police department. We think it's unfathomable to do the opposite, because we have a distinct interest in LE, not firefighting.

G

·
Delta, I totally understand the numero uno stand point but if you are a Disabled Vet who is tops on both FF and PD lists (hiring 10 each by the way) then why go to the SPA and get your stones busted for 5 weeks and take a spot from someone else?? I totally understand the cut throat state we live in for theses jobs so take what you can. This is just my opinion from a non veteran piont of view who fought like the third monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark and finally landed where I did. Be safe!!
Why should anyone being considered feel like they owe anything to anyone further down the list than them?

As Brick pointed out, the 80th was delayed/postponed countless times.....should someone aspiring to be a trooper put their life on hold and wait to be called, or do they take advantage of a backup plan that's offered to them? In my case, I really didn't want to be a T cop (great job, just not for me) and I was almost guaranteed that Quincy would be hiring within the next 12 months. However, my current job at the time (BHA Police) just had federal HUD funding slashed and rumors of layoffs were rampant. I didn't have much seniority, and unlike most 20-somethings these days, I had my own apartment, so moving back home wasn't an option.

So, I went through the process for the MBTA to the point that they offered me the job; the only reason I didn't take it was because it would have removed me from the civil service list for Quincy, and the city's Director of Veteran's Services (former National Commander of the American Legion) called me and told me that the mayor had given his word that cards were going out soon, which they did. If I wouldn't have been removed from the Quincy list, I would have taken the T job, but I would have left the following day if Quincy hired me, and I wouldn't have felt the least bit bad about it. I didn't know anyone underneath me on the MBTA list, and I owed them absolutely nothing.

It's not fair to presume what someone's personal situation is; if they make a decision, it's their decision to live or die by.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
When it comes to careers, people have to make decisions based on what's right for them, not the concerns of someone else whom they've never met. I was offered a position in the NYPD, but refused to take the MSP job. I don't fault this guy for leaving, hell, he probably did the MSP a favor; we don't want aspiring nozzle draggers on our job!

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
A veteran friend of mine left active duty and got on NYPD while he was waiting for a job with FDNY. He left the po po, got on FDNY and 2 months after his academy he lost 6 guys from his Brooklyn engine on 9-11. Grass ain't always greener...

G

·
Now that's silly.
I agree.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

I wonder if he was "pulled" or the T academy refused to let someone re-patch midway through if they were LEAVING the T and going to another dept.. I halfway can't blame the T for not putting up with that. I don't know if I'd want to stay in the T academy after bailing halfway through for another department. Or maybe I'm totally wrong, and QPD is all about keeping a group of hires together during training. I see how it might lead to seniority issues, maybe.
The staff was quite understanding and wanted him to stay, but the PTB decided against it. It was probably (I don't presume to understand the inner workings of my department) to stave off a future legal challenge as to seniority.

SILLY is guys who went through the Boston academy for another agency, then went back through the very next class as a Boston cop. I heard that was the practice and did happen, but they've since changed that policy and as long as they've gone to the Boston academy at some point they meet the requirements to have gone through their academy.
It definitely was past practice; there was someone who graduated the Boston Academy as a campus cop (with 90%+ BPD classmates), only to be hired by BPD, and then had to go through the very next class all over again. Now that Boston has taken laterals and the world continues to rotate on its axis, I hope they realize the foolishness of duplication of training.

3961 - 3980 of 4166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.